PDA

View Full Version : 87 Accord transmission swap questions

Blazin87
06-06-2017, 12:32 PM
I have two 87 accords and both have bad tranny's in one way or another. My first one (donor) will be known as Whitey (150,000k) and my current one is Grayson (103,000k.)

I found Grayson after Whitey's tranny crapped out while getting my windshield replaced. I put a lot of good parts into her and I figured maybe a line broke or a gasket might be bad. In any case it was a rust bucket so I found Grayson who is in much better shape.

Fast forward to now...
I am pulling Grayson into by buddies shop to fix the power steering, going over a tiny lip and Bam...there goes my tranny...rolls in every gear position...only way to stop it was the e brake. So I tow it home and start to pull out the tranny from Whitey. Before it's almost out, I took the cover off of what looked like some kind shift cable on the back underside of the tranny to discover an assload of metal flakes and a hole in the case. So we stopped there.

I still don't positively know what is wrong with Grayson, as we didn't pull it yet...all I know is that I have two gone tranny's and I need to figure something out.

Any ideas of where to start?

Are there other transmissions for other cars that bolt up to the stock motor with little changes.

I haven't taken apart a tranny before but I will if I need too...I am really curious to see what went wrong with both of them.

Anything will help guys, thank you in advance!

Shane86
06-06-2017, 01:24 PM
86-89 honda accord transmissions.

Blazin87
06-06-2017, 02:11 PM
Thank you, do you know of any mods that people have done where you can use an easier to find transmission without swapping the engine? I read up a little on the B swaps but that involves swapping both the engine and tranny.

asundine
06-07-2017, 01:04 PM
I'm wondering the same thing too. My 88 LXi needs a new manual tranny (has an E2Q5) and I'm noticing that they're actually really hard to find! Or they're 5-600 bucks which I think is insane considering the age of the car.

However, Prelude trannys are a dime a dozen and I'm finding plenty for under 200 bucks. But I can't find any solid info on whether a 5 speed manual from an 88 Prelude Fuel Injected will bolt in. I know the gears will be different but I don't really care as long as it works!