PDA

View Full Version : No heat in my Hatch!

88LXi68
02-11-2003, 02:36 PM
Hey guys I dont usually ask many questions but this one is stumping me. In my beater hatch the heat does not work unless I put the fan on high. If i put it on anything lower it does not work. what should I check?

AZmike
02-11-2003, 03:03 PM
If the fan doesn't run on any setting except high it's probably your fan's resitors. It's an easy repair once you get the part (free at a junkyard since it's small). I can give more details if this is the case.

If the fan works ok at all speeds and you only notice heat when the fan is at full speed you may have a clogged heater core.

88LXi68
02-11-2003, 03:14 PM
Originally posted by 89LXi4dr
If the fan doesn't run on any setting except high it's probably your fan's resitors. It's an easy repair once you get the part (free at a junkyard since it's small). I can give more details if this is the case.

If the fan works ok at all speeds and you only notice heat when the fan is at full speed you may have a clogged heater core.

I only feel heat at full speed. So that would mean the fan reistors. Where are the fan resistors located?

AZmike
02-11-2003, 03:22 PM
Under the passenger side of the dash, close to the door is the blower. On the bottom of the blower toward the front of the car there is a 4 pin (I thnk) clip. Remove the clip and there should be one small philips screw on either side of where the clip connects. Remove the screws and the resistor should drop out. On the top are several wire coils, one for each fan speed (except high, which uses no resistor). If the fan only runs on high there's probably a break in one of the circuits that runs through the resistor assembly.

If you check and you can't find it right let me know and I'll check the factory manual, I'm not at home right now.

88LXi68
02-11-2003, 04:06 PM
Thanks Mike! I am going to check it out tomorrow afternoon when I get home from classes. Thanks again.

AZmike
02-11-2003, 07:14 PM
I checked the book and it is a 4 pin connector. The resistor is on the left side of the blower just before the evaporator duct. The coils on top are delicate so be careful (I pulled mine part way apart thinking it was part of the junk stuck in my blower fan making noise).

88LXi68
02-12-2003, 08:10 PM
All better! The 4pin connector came out of the socket! So i just plugged it back in and works like new. Thanks for the help Mike.

AZmike
02-13-2003, 12:53 AM
Good to hear. I always like repairs that don't require more parts.