PDA

View Full Version : Struts and Springs Replacement

ELM'sLX+CHL'sDX
02-11-2003, 05:21 PM
Hi Guys:

This weekend I'm going to replace my front struts and springs. Are there any parts I should purchase that would usually be changed when the struts and springs are replaced? I don't want to be in a position where some small nickel and dime part needs replacement with no possible way of acquiring it.

Thanks,
Claude

Jims 86LXI HB
02-11-2003, 08:04 PM
One of the things I purchased was a set of new sturt mount bushings and rear lower strut mounts. But ya know what, I didn't need any of it. All the stock parts were just fine. I do think it's hard to say what might be warn out on your car. I just gave all the old parts that were in perfect condition a good cleaning and reinstalled them. One thing to think about, we both have california cars so no winter salts and stuff.

89AccordNate
02-11-2003, 09:15 PM
I put in new sway bar bushings when I did my konis. Ordered them from hondaautomotiveparts.com and their really easy to install. IT really tightened up the ride since mine were shot.

Nate.

anchovies
02-11-2003, 11:00 PM
Check the bushings. If you want, I've got brand new Honda strut to knuckle bushings. Also got new front strut mount bushings.

ELM'sLX+CHL'sDX
02-16-2003, 01:04 PM
Well I had the struts, springs, axles and control arms replaced this week. The nut holding the strut mount was rusted and we had to cut the strut shaft to get the strut mount off.

The ride is really nice now. No more bouncing around and it's a much firm ride. Still a few more items that needs attention.

Nate:

Yup, you were correct. The sway bar bushings are shot and I'll replace them next week. They are pretty cheap.

Second, both my tie rod ends are gone. These things are the flimsiest things I've purchased on my car. I've replaced these two or three times already. Next, the rear struts when I can come up with some cash. Suspension work was more costly than replacing my carburetor, which at least I did myself saving me the labor charges.

Claude