PDA

View Full Version : rear strut bar

2old_honda
02-11-2003, 06:36 PM
does anyone know if a 90-93 accord rear strut tower bar will fit our car? from what I can tell from pictures, the ones made for our car and the 90-93 accord bars look the same.

Mantis88LX
02-11-2003, 06:38 PM
no it wont becasue i tried one a few months ago

2old_honda
02-11-2003, 06:47 PM
what part dosent fit? too long? too short? mounts dont line up?
also, did you try the adjustable kind or the fixed kind?

Mantis88LX
02-11-2003, 06:59 PM
if i remember correctly the mounting holes didnt line up, it was the adjustable kind,

2old_honda
02-11-2003, 07:02 PM
could you have drilled some new holes in the bracket? would there be enough metal to do that, or was it too far off?

thanks for your help! :)

Mantis88LX
02-11-2003, 07:11 PM
i cant really remember, but i would think you could probably drill new holes.
WHat i did was i went to a performance shop that had strut bars and i was just tring eveyone, they let me take it out to the car and see if it fit. is there a place near you that u could do that?

PhydeauX
02-11-2003, 08:29 PM
I think justin (88turboaccord) starts with a 90-93 bar when he makes the rear bars for the 3rd gen.

andy

2old_honda
02-11-2003, 10:45 PM
Originally posted by Mantis88LX
i cant really remember, but i would think you could probably drill new holes.
WHat i did was i went to a performance shop that had strut bars and i was just tring eveyone, they let me take it out to the car and see if it fit. is there a place near you that u could do that?

no there isnt :( They are only $10-$15 on ebay so I think I will just buy one and see what I can do to make it fit.

Thanks for your help :)

azaccord
02-12-2003, 09:16 AM
if you get one, and all you have to do is drill new holes, then let me know, cuz that would be really easy to do.

Mike's89AccordLX
02-12-2003, 10:16 AM
Would we have to take the back seat out if we had a rear strut bar? Or would it have enough clearance to have the seat stay on?

2old_honda
02-12-2003, 12:11 PM
Originally posted by Mike's89AccordLX
Would we have to take the back seat out if we had a rear strut bar? Or would it have enough clearance to have the seat stay on?

you will either have to remove it or just leave it folded down. there is not enough clearance to have the seat up.

yaxley
02-12-2003, 12:25 PM
I made one out of an a1 golf front strut bar you just have to make a few bends so the bolt holes line up and yes you can close your seat you either have to bend the metal in the seatback or just use alittle brut force and ignorance that is what I did before I ended up ditching the seat for weight.

2old_honda
02-12-2003, 12:30 PM
Originally posted by yaxley
I made one out of an a1 golf front strut bar you just have to make a few bends so the bolt holes line up and yes you can close your seat you either have to bend the metal in the seatback or just use alittle brut force and ignorance that is what I did before I ended up ditching the seat for weight.

hey, do you have a picture of that? that would really help me out!

yaxley
02-12-2003, 02:28 PM
sorry I have no pictures of my car yet but as long as you put the bar on then just lift the seat like you were going to close it you should be able to see where it contacts the seat the you decide if you want to force it closed or if you want to bend the metal.

2old_honda
02-12-2003, 03:24 PM
to get the golf front bar to fit do you have to bend the bar itself or just the brackets?

thank you!

yaxley
02-12-2003, 03:44 PM
If you look at an a1 golf strut bar they are 2 bars welded side by side the ends are spread apart at either end sort of like a snakes toung sort of like the neuspeed strut tower bar these forked ends are what you have to bend then just use those musles and get creative just look at the fit often. they have to be bent together alittle so the fork is more narrow then you bend the bar closest the front of the car down a bit next the bar closer to the back of the car should just need to be bent towards the front of the car about 2 inchs from the tip of it should fit nicely.
Just go to a shop that has one and ask them if you can put it up to your struts you should see that it is not to for off.I did it and it worked(I had one kicking around and it didnt fit the front so I put it in the back.) I will try to take some pictures some time this week. any questions?
when are you doing it?

2old_honda
02-12-2003, 07:23 PM
:cool: I will probably order the bar sometime this week. thanks

Jims 86LXI HB
02-13-2003, 09:34 AM
http://www.3geez.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=13418

Mike's89AccordLX
02-13-2003, 09:37 AM
I just want the backseat available until I get a new car and then I will strip the interior out and it will be my race car.

yaxley
02-13-2003, 11:28 AM
I was able to keep and use the back seat no prob with my set up like I said I took the seat uot for weight reasons ( car is guted right now) the strut bar was bought at a vw shop cheap the shop was Bow Wow in vancouver bc. And just make sure that you can see it working with a few bends before you buy. I also saw in the market place that there are some rear tower braces for sale you should check that out too.
lates