PDA

View Full Version : what up with the b18a swap. the b20a is not worth it.

1986hbdx
02-11-2003, 08:54 PM
whats up with the b18a swap. the b20a is not worth it.
whyis it not worth it is
#1 the parts is hard to find.
#2 It is might cost so high that you can get a new car.
#3 hard to find manual tranny.

what will happen if do the b18ajmd swap.
Will the b18a be cheaper?
will the parts be easier to find?
will it fit in easy?
will the tranny be 5spd manual, easy to find?
If i put a turbo on it can i get thr same perfomance of the b20a?
:confused: :mad:

carotman
02-12-2003, 04:08 AM
The mount kit for the B18A is 1000, 1200 bucks alone

The B20A is cheaper... and parts availability isn't a problem anymore.... The manual tranny problem remains.... but it's a small price to pay to have 160 hp :)

civteck
02-12-2003, 12:31 PM
theres no need for jdm, in ny mind anyway. 140hp usdm b18a is fine, the car really scoots with this motor, and its cheaper, no trans problems, its cable how convienant

RobT5580
02-12-2003, 04:01 PM
Its definatly not cheaper because their is no way around buying the mounts, axles, harness, etc. The B20A is not as hard to get nor are parts. Yeah i cant walk into a honda and buy parts but i can have them at my door within a week from Japan. All swaps had their pros and cons and i went back and forth for a long time but the base torque on a B20A is more than enough to get me interested especially after steve showed me a boosted B16A still had no torque. If there was more interest more B20As would be around but most importers got stuck with them for a long time so they never bothered to get more. Im sure their are a lot of them over seas laying around but the 5spd is the only rare part of the whole swap.

carotman
02-12-2003, 04:15 PM
cheaper........... NOT!

DarknessRS
02-16-2003, 01:02 AM
besides for the 3G B20 > B18

and in Justin's case A20 > B18

89sei
02-16-2003, 01:59 PM
Here's a few things a learned along the way...and still trying to learn too - my swap was done almost on my own when the big rage was to pimp out everybody's GS-R or SI-R (parts for the 3rd gen area always hard to find, right?)...here's the most common questions...

"...whats up with the b18a swap. the b20a is not worth it...."

In the long run, you'd be at least even (in cash flow) or better going JDM B20A. Although your gonna spend some cash and be pissed when you find out for example that the B20A oil pump has to be ordered from Japan...IMO, that headache is nearly offset by the outlay you'd do for buying and setting up the B or H series into our cars...other swaps into other cars might be easier (like DX>B-series). I had to always remind myself that the 3rd gen was/is set-up for the B20A (JDM)...

You can go whatever you want, B16, B18, H- even if you want - just get your pocket book ready for all of these swaps (i.e., re-located motor mounts, ECU, axles...) - you'll 'get stung' or 'hit' for cash less if you go B20A...Just avoid buying a 5K motor package if you can't afford it...like we see all the time.

"...#1 the parts is hard to find..."

The guys on the board have sourced out some better places these days for JDM stuff for OUR (3rd gen) cars...that was the problem back then too, that the only one or two sources around our area for JDM parts were 'unreliable' at best...Those prices look good too!

"...#2 It might cost so high that you can get a new car..."

What's this 'new car' that your buying...if you look around for the right price, you'll have plenty left over for the JDM swap PLUS a 'new car'...

...here's the scoop - me and Yasu always talk about it too...don't look for the Spoon stuff or high priced Gude stuff...do it yourself, and get the milling and machining done locally if u can etc.

"...#3 hard to find manual tranny..."

5-speeds are still out there.

There's lots of ways to make power, doing a swap is just one way. You can go N/A with a built A-motor, and be fine for low-moderate power numbers...add Nitrous to make it better for cheap. Or, go big and do a turbo like Justin (with a built motor). Go swap - BUT - anytime you go swap, you'll be paying out a bit more than just bolt-ons initially.

Mike (89sei)

Swan
03-14-2003, 01:36 PM
ok, I've read this, and I still don't completely understand....let me get this strait.... the b18c5 isn't really as good as the JDM b20a?
All's I know, is I want a swap, and I want lots of power...AND I want to be able to add a lot of stuff to it.... Which brings me to another question.... like, they make superchargers for the integra, but if I did a swap with one, would the s.c. fit in the engine bay of the 98 LXi?

‹^› ‹(•¿•)› ‹^›
03-14-2003, 01:50 PM
Originally posted by Swan
ok, I've read this, and I still don't completely understand....let me get this strait.... the b18c5 isn't really as good as the JDM b20a?
All's I know, is I want a swap, and I want lots of power...AND I want to be able to add a lot of stuff to it.... Which brings me to another question.... like, they make superchargers for the integra, but if I did a swap with one, would the s.c. fit in the engine bay of the 98 LXi?

dude! In simple terms! It's all about choice! Go with what you want! Some will praise the B20a and some will not! as for the B18c5..That's a pipe dream. The engine is expensive stolen or legal..The wiring is a major drag!! and you will never have a true Type r engine unless you spend serious money to update your car internaly! As for super changers!! I don't think it will fit! it's bad enough that minor changes have to be made in an Integra!! Imagine an 89! B20 does have more torque than a B16a, but it's non-vtec! vtec is what makes the B16 not torque!! dude this is pointless! Either way you are gonna spend money! So do research first!

OldSchoolSwap
03-14-2003, 03:52 PM
Don't jump into the pool without doing your homework. You will end up with a dead end project that you cannot afford.

Spend time (about a year) to learn about witch motor.
How well it is supported OUT THERE in the real world. How and where will you get parts for it if it ever fails.
How much power are you looking to squeez out of it in future mods? Is there alot of aftermarket support to get the power that you are looking for?

Ask your self all these questions and more.

carotman
03-14-2003, 05:13 PM
vtec is what makes the B16 not torque

Errrr wrong... this is why the B16A HAS torque.... a Vtec engine will gain low end torque compared to a non vtec engine.

‹^› ‹(•¿•)› ‹^›
03-14-2003, 06:00 PM
Originally posted by carotman
Errrr wrong... this is why the B16A HAS torque.... a Vtec engine will gain low end torque compared to a non vtec engine.

Remember, power is nothing more than the product of torque and RPM. Hondas make power through high RPMs, not torque

carotman
03-14-2003, 07:40 PM
That's right. But Vtec has nothing to do with the lower torque rating of the B16A...

‹^› ‹(•¿•)› ‹^›
03-14-2003, 07:49 PM
Originally posted by carotman
That's right. But Vtec has nothing to do with the lower torque rating of the B16A...

Dude! I agree with u! All I was stating that just because B20a has more torque does not make it better or worse than the B16a! :wave:

mykwikcoupe
03-15-2003, 01:00 AM
okay lets get something staright. The vtec stuff is great if you drive over 5000 rpm and that is all! The vtech handles all the high end no low end what so ever. I am planning a turbo project and I am looking more towards fast spool than 7000 rpm. If you want a car that can handle these types of revs buy a s2000. The 89 accord is a great platform. it fits most everything and is solid. Ask yourself this how often will you spend over 5000 rpm, will the cam handle this ( is it actually beneficial)? would I want more torque or horsepower. If you can answer these that will help you with the choice of motors. Remember the torque moves the damn thing the horsepower gives you the top end. Whats better now?

carotman
03-15-2003, 06:33 AM
You could tune a Vtec engine to have it's peak power at 5500 rpm. However, the Vtec is just so great that it's pointless to have such a low rpm power.

What Vtec does is basicaly allow you to have 2 different cam profiles (or 3 on the D15B) and switch them on the fly.

Let's say you take an hypothetical A20A vtec engine (ok I know it doesn't exist)

The normal cam would give you the currect power rating of the A20A (122 hp 120 lb torque). Then near 5000 rpm, you switch on a wilder cam. This will NOT make you lose torque, you will just reach your peak at a higher rpm. However, the torque curve will be ALOT more flat than with a regular engine.... allowing you to go faster.

Now, wonder why Oldschoolswap goes fast with a B16A engine???? It's all about powerband.

Swan
03-15-2003, 10:36 PM
umm.....dang... I didn't know it was so complicated! all I want is good burn outs, and good racing.....something that will grab me by the seat of my pants and tell me to hold the hell on!

Swan
03-15-2003, 10:40 PM
Also, like, if I get like a b16, would the weight of the car have any affect? it always looked to me like my 4-door looked kinda heavy....and the civics look like you could piss on the side of them and knock them over

ain't got one
03-20-2003, 08:41 PM
Hey guys I got a flyer in the mail from midwest engine sales in Ohio... they have Japan and US Honda motors... a B20A5 books for $695 from them... 30 day guarantee and SUPPOSEDLY with under 35,000 miles.... they can also get Japan trannies and engines... A20A1... don't know if it's better same or what... but there's your tranny.... the engine books $675.... their phone number is 1-800-234-1423... I called and they are just a warehouse and know jack shit about cars it seems....

ain't got one
03-20-2003, 08:42 PM
oh yeah.... complete engines.. most w/ a starter and alternator...

carotman
03-21-2003, 04:06 AM
that would be nice if we COULD use the B20A5 in our cars...

I'll be kind with you cause you're a newbie :D Read the FAQ please.

Justin86
03-31-2003, 02:43 PM
I would love to drop in a B18C but the question is on the price. Is it worth the money. If I ever get the money I probably will do it but I'm still researching. Basically my goal is to have the fastest street legal 3g and I belive that the B18C would be a step in the right direction. What to you guys think?

‹^› ‹(•¿•)› ‹^›
03-31-2003, 04:06 PM
Originally posted by Justin86
I would love to drop in a B18C but the question is on the price. Is it worth the money. If I ever get the money I probably will do it but I'm still researching. Basically my goal is to have the fastest street legal 3g and I belive that the B18C would be a step in the right direction. What to you guys think?

You mean one of these?

http://images.cardomain.com/member_img_b/260000-260999/260423_7_full.jpg

Justin86
03-31-2003, 04:48 PM
Yes one of those. I hope to get one out of wrecked GS-R from a junkyard or anywhere for cheap, as soon as I can get the money.
But right now I still need some struts and exhaust before I move on to bigger and better things.

‹^› ‹(•¿•)› ‹^›
03-31-2003, 04:54 PM
Yes one of those. I hope to get one out of wrecked GS-R from a junkyard or anywhere for cheap, as soon as I can get the money.
But right now I still need some struts and exhaust before I move on to bigger and better things.

That's my puppy i just showed you! Why do u need an exhaust!! get the struts fixed .. save money then get a new engine! Dude it's gonna get expensive!

hoppy
03-31-2003, 05:05 PM
Hey , are the B20As really that rare around you guys?? Well here is the story in and around the Toronto, Canada Area. From my home right now there are about 20 that i know of and myaybe more B20A motors just sitting in various engine shops gathering dust. Gold valve cover, black valve cover and even a few side draught carbed versions. The guy I got mine from (in absolutley pristine condition) didn't even know what car it was for.When I took one look at it I KNEW, but after holding on to it for about a year or two, he was willing to let it go for cheap. $350 Cdn! So there i was B20A PGM-Fi and Carbed 85 Prelude (as my dayly). Anyway, back to the story; the guy who had my motor and most of the other engine dealers here order b20as as replacement engines for the 88-91 Ludes.Once they get here and realize that it's the wrong B20, then there's no turning back. Can't just send it back to Japan! So they'll just sit and sit and sit.....

DarknessRS
03-31-2003, 11:13 PM
Originally posted by ‹^› ‹(•¿•)› ‹^›
Dude! I agree with u! All I was stating that just because B20a has more torque does not make it better or worse than the B16a! :wave:

Well, the torque is still important, and its the curve that matters as well as the max torque. Remember that Horsepower is just derived from torque.

DarknessRS
03-31-2003, 11:25 PM

Well, in terms of worth a 90s B series is better off in a lighter civic/integra/crx.

If you are looking to build the fastest street legal 3G, then I think your best bet would be the B18C from the NorthAm ITR.

Justin86
04-01-2003, 06:16 PM
I'm serisouly thinking about this B18C swap. I have got the support of all of my car buds at school. Some of them work at some salvage yards and they will hook me up for cheap if they can get one. I'm thinking if I can get a engine and tranny for cheap they get a the parts up to speck, I might be able to this for under $5,000. I really hope.

‹^› ‹(•¿•)› ‹^›
04-01-2003, 06:24 PM
Originally posted by DarknessRS
Well, the torque is still important, and its the curve that matters as well as the max torque. Remember that Horsepower is just derived from torque.

I would still take a GSR over a B20a

Justin86
04-01-2003, 08:56 PM
If any of you guys read last months Honda Tunning, it proves that the B18C kicks ass. It also says that you can bore it out to a 2.0L to be making around 250hp.:badass: Even if the swap costs you a pretty pinney it is worth it, but if you are serious about your car this is one the best things you could do for it, but that is only my opinion. Two things that made be a beliver in the B18C is Wicked Accord's sweet ride and Erick Aguilar runnig low 10's with an all motor B18C with a stock type R tranny. :pimp: & :badass:

Morpheus
04-02-2003, 12:17 PM
DarknessRS, Are those 3 geez in ur avatar for real? Did someone actually race these things with sponsors?

Justin86
04-02-2003, 06:42 PM
NorthAm ITR? Is this a web site or company? How can I contact them?

Justin86
04-16-2003, 06:10 PM
Ok guys my friend belives he has found a B18C for be at a junkyard. He works there and is telling me that I can get everything that I want out of the Integra for free. He said at the worst baybe a $100. He is not sure if is a GS-R or Type R but I'm going to check it out tomorrow to see if is the real thing.:)