PDA

View Full Version : transmission fluid

jstyle711
02-11-2003, 10:29 PM
euh... what kind.. and where the hell do i put it at? :| ... i truely am i newb :|

Elijah
02-11-2003, 10:51 PM
If you look at the front left near the bottom of ur engine you will see a little cap that turns take it off and put it in there you need a funnel with a long end.And you put ATF in there.Thats the best I could explain it.Hope it helps you.

anchovies
02-11-2003, 11:40 PM
auto or manual?

smufguy
02-12-2003, 09:15 AM
okay i am strictly gonna be technical here Despite all the variations in the fluid defenitions, I wanna say this cause this is what you would find in stores like Pep Boys.

Automatic Tranny = Transmission Fluid = 3g uses Dexron II (someone clarify this)

Manual tranny = Gear oil = 10W-30.

Someone post a pic of it from a shop manual so he knows where it is.

jstyle711
02-12-2003, 10:45 PM
yea.. i looked all over.. i cant find that shit :|

its a manual.. so would i use 10w?

... is where i put the fluid in is the oil filler plug?

Jareds 89 LX-i
02-12-2003, 11:07 PM
If it's a manual then yea, you could just use regular 10w-30 motor oil (not gear oil!!). BUT, I would highly recommend making a trip to your local Honda dealer and getting 3 quarts of Honda MTF (manual transmission fluid). I just changed to this stuff, and it made it ALOT smoother. Not that it wasn't smooth before, but now it just shifts like a freakin hot knife through butter. Good stuff! About $4.50/qt though but worth it, IMO.

As for the drain/fill plugs, the drain plug is right at the bottom of the tranny, and the actual bolt head is completely round on the outside, but is has a square hole inside of it, and you just stick your 3/8 inch ratchet or breaker bar right into it to take it off. The fill bolt is located up higher and behind the drain bolt. The bolt head is 17mm, but the actual bolt is 32mm, so it sticks out quite a bit from the head. You'll see it...it's kinda funny lookin and sticking out by itself. If you're looking at the tranny from the passenger side wheel, the drain bolt is at the 6 o clock position, and the fill bolt is at the 9 o clock position.

Here's a big tip from my experience: Make absolutely sure you'll be able to get the filler hole bolt off BEFORE you drain the fluid out. When I went to do mine, the shop that had done it before overtorqued that fill bolt soooo much that it was stuck on there like a mofo. I tried everything, even my handy dandy torch, but that thing wouldn't budge and I ended up stripping the head. So I had to have a shop use the BIG torch and impact gun on it and they finally got off. Luckily I hadn't already drained the fluid or I would have been screwed, since I couldn't get the fluid back in! Got another bolt at the junkyard (and it was in way tight too, but the tranny was out so I could get good leverage), changed the fluid, and was good to go.

Hope that helps some :)

jstyle711
02-12-2003, 11:10 PM
good shit man...
.... good shit

smufguy
02-13-2003, 07:51 AM
jared, is the gear oil for Hydraulic trannies? as in trannies with Hydraulic clutches? cause when me and my friend went to get fluid for his 94 corolla, the manual for it said it was 10w-30 Gear oil and pep boys had Castrol and Valvoline Gear oil.

Sorry if i mixed things up,

Jareds 89 LX-i
02-13-2003, 08:23 AM
Originally posted by smufguy
jared, is the gear oil for Hydraulic trannies? as in trannies with Hydraulic clutches? cause when me and my friend went to get fluid for his 94 corolla, the manual for it said it was 10w-30 Gear oil and pep boys had Castrol and Valvoline Gear oil.

Sorry if i mixed things up,
Some manual trannies do indeed still use gear oil, but not Hondas. Gear oil in our cars will ruin the tranny. The manual tranny on my 94 Ford Ranger I used to have, for example, took ATF. So it just depends on the vehicle. Gear oil is mainly still used in rear end differentials on RWD vehicles. Cable vs hydro clutch doesn't make any difference in the fluid inside, it's simply a different way of engaging/disengaging the clutch. Brake fluid is used in the clutch slave cylinder, just like in the brake master cylinder.

:)