PDA

View Full Version : Engine bogs until 3500 rpm, then takes off?

david89
02-11-2003, 11:09 PM
It usually happens during the first few miles of driving in the morning. I'll accelerate from a stop (5-speed), and the engine seems to have 1/2 of it's horsepower, meaning I have to almost floor it to keep up with traffic. Then once it hits 3500 rpm, it takes off like a bat out of hell. What's going on?

smufguy
02-12-2003, 09:18 AM
Have u done a tune up on your 380 K mile car yet? IF not do so.

If you have done it. CHeck your throttle cable for lag, Seems like your AF mixture is fucked. Carbs have this and i went thru this for a while.

On the side note, do you warm up ur car fully before u drive it?

SiR
02-12-2003, 09:27 AM
Do you have any pics of your 380k car? That just puts every car to shame!

bobafett
02-12-2003, 09:29 AM
mine does that too, i think the car is just cold. pretend you have v-tec.. lol

nah if you wait until your temp gauge has started to nudge up it should be fine...

AZmike
02-12-2003, 01:55 PM
Check your ignition system. I had a similar problem and found one of my plug wires had come loose.

david89
02-12-2003, 07:07 PM
Originally posted by AccordSiR
Do you have any pics of your 380k car? That just puts every car to shame! No pics, sorry. Trust me, it's not a pretty car after almost 400,000 miles.

slammedLXI
02-12-2003, 07:16 PM
yah let it warm up... mine does same shit.

david89
02-12-2003, 07:26 PM
Originally posted by bobafett
mine does that too, i think the car is just cold. pretend you have v-tec.. lol

nah if you wait until your temp gauge has started to nudge up it should be fine... But it shouldn't be doing it, though. Something is wrong and I'd like to fix it, instead of ignoring it until it warms up. My plugs, wires, cap and rotor are all changed on a regular basis, so that rules out anything past the distributor. Unless it's actually the distributor itself giving me problems. I don't think it's an air/fuel ratio problem, because then I'd have poor driveability at all engine speeds, not just under 3500. As soon as it hits 3500, it instantaneously goes back to normal, almost like a switch is being flipped.

smufguy
02-12-2003, 07:38 PM
since u have a efi ur AF mixture is controlled by the ecu. My carb would bogg cause it was pretty cold outside and once it got me stranded on the road cause i did not warm it up good. The car functions pretty different when its starting to idle. Always warm up the car till it starts to move up the C on ur temp gauge. I usually start it up, and go in my house and do whatever then come out after like 10 mts and its all fine and drive away.

What bob said is true, it happens mostly if ur car is not warmed up, my camry does it too and its an efi as u know. Ur car might die on u if u drive away after like 5 seconds after u start it up.

1988starter
02-13-2003, 06:22 PM
Have your o2 sensors been changed lately I had that problem and that fixed it for me.