PDA

View Full Version : Wobbly, "weak-knees" suspension.

david89
02-11-2003, 11:17 PM
I have a peculiar problem with my suspension that has been there since I bought the car almost 200K miles ago. I've almost learned to live with it, but I figured why not, maybe somebody else has seen it too.

Say you're driving down a smooth interstate and hit a moderate, even dip in the road, not a harsh one, just a rolling dip where the car would drop down, soak up the dip, and continue on without any other drama. My car doesn't stay level during this time, it sort of droops down to the left. I guess it would have the same effect on the car as a 300 pound driver (I'm 160 lbs.).

New shocks and springs didn't cure it, new upper and lower balljoints, new radius rod bushings, tie rods. Nothing has seemed to help. There really isn't much left except maybe the sway bar?

89AccordNate
02-12-2003, 09:51 AM
Probably the sway bar bushings. Check those, they could be shot.

Does it lean in the corners too really bad?

Nate.

markmdz89hatch
02-12-2003, 09:55 AM
I'm gonna have to agree with Nate on that one. I mean really, like you said, what else is there?

AZmike
02-12-2003, 03:32 PM
It probably has nothing to do with the sway bars. The sway bars only act when there is a difference between the positions of the left and right suspension assemblies. The bump that David described would affect the sides the same way, so the sway bars would do nothing. Only if the sway bar bushing was severely binding the sway bar one one side, could it cause a problem like this.

GreenMachine
02-12-2003, 11:40 PM
could it possible be the caster off in the alignment, being one wheel is ahead of the other ?

david89
02-12-2003, 11:47 PM
Originally posted by GreenMachine
could it possible be the caster off in the alignment, being one wheel is ahead of the other ? If that were the case, I'd have a pull to the right or left. But it tracks dead straight ahead. The closest thing I could compare it to would be if the shocks were completely worn on the left side, and new on the right side. The whole left side of the car has a wallowing, Cadillac-like spongy feel. This even after all the aforementioned components had been replaced.