PDA

View Full Version : Driving w/o an Intake

Jerren
05-25-2002, 02:53 PM
I noticed that my intake had came off after i barely beat a 95 tarus and after losing a race to a stock 2nd gen accord. and also after my car was louder than a dump truck on the highway. so i popped the hood and sure enough. my intake was just sitting there disconnected. so i screwed it back on and now i have my normal sound and power back.

my question to you guys is: what kind of damage could have been done by doing this. I believe it was off for like 2 days. i probably drove about 30-50 miles like this.

carotman
05-25-2002, 03:11 PM
dirt might have come in but I doubt it did real damage. unless it sucked in a rock or something.

But if a rock came in.... you would already know :p

95AccordEXR
05-25-2002, 03:56 PM
even tho the ducting was off, the air still passes thru the filter so I doubt you did any damage.

Jerren
05-25-2002, 04:11 PM
umm there was no filter. i have an after market intake on my car. the entire thing came off so it just went to the metal part that says "pgm-fi" or whatever.

PhydeauX
05-25-2002, 08:51 PM
Loosing to a second gen accord, that sounds right ;). I do find it odd that you lost to the second gen but beat the tarus. Unless it was a complete pos the tarus should take a 3g and a goped can out run a stock 2g. The 3g efi system uses a map sensor doesn't it, not a afm or maf sensor behind the filter, so you shouldn't have had any power loss with out the intake on there.

andy

NickLxi
05-27-2002, 07:43 PM
yea but waht about the hot air 'cus you loss 1 hp for every 10 f.

Jerren
05-28-2002, 12:04 PM
i dont know what you guys are talking about but did i mention that the second gen had a playstation one bumper sticker?

i never lost to a stock taurus. i'm just talking about the base model you know. not a SHO.

toastyghost
05-29-2002, 10:48 PM
If you didn't have brutal detonation already, you're probably fine. Shit that's not supposed to go in the manifold will definitely let you know about it if it does.

smufguy
06-08-2002, 08:29 AM
nothing will happen to your engine if u were just driving on a city/hwy. if u live in like a country side, kicking up all that hay and sand and crap, then ur eternally screwed. hehe, just kidding man. Nothing major or even mior would happen if u had the whole intake off and the throttle body was sitty there byitself. Nothing would happen, but its not how it should be ran either. clamp it down more or use a better rubber adapter and clamp it down. make sure it does not fall down anytime in the future.

Jerren
06-08-2002, 08:56 AM
yah thanks. i have it on there really tight now. i took it off when i had to clean the filter. its all good now.