PDA

View Full Version : what should i use???

88 Accord DX
02-12-2003, 09:41 AM
well basketball season is almost over so ill have time to actually start working on my car again. my next task is to build a custom box to fit in my back seat. my question is what should i make the box out of. i dont wanna use plexi or fiberglass. i wanna use a wood. what kind should i use. MDF, particle, plywood. also should i insulate the inside of the box with anything??? pearldrop and square if you're out there please respond. anyone else who knows anything i guess you can respond too.

Vanilla Sky
02-12-2003, 12:50 PM
MDF or HDF (High Density Fiberboard) would proabably be your best bet since you want something along those lines... as for a lining... i've seen people take boxes to have the inside sprayed with bedliner... i don't know if there is a benifit beyond a better seal or not, but on this topic, wait for someone else that's used more than just one thing...

AccordEpicenter
02-12-2003, 07:40 PM
yeah use mdf, if you want its also good to paint the interior and exterior to fill in the small pores in the mdf. Also use screws and liquid nails, that stuff is really good. Sillicone also comes in helpful

n88accordLX-i
02-12-2003, 07:45 PM
You dont need to seal the outside of an MDF box, its not very poreus, if poreus at all, you must be thinking of particle board, but painting the outside of a box sure makes it look nicer :super:

87DXHatch
02-12-2003, 08:34 PM
go for 3/4" MDF, unless your sub is super huge and powerful, then go 1", or if your sub is small and puny, go 1/2"

As for insulation, adding cotton or fiberglass insulation (the fluffy stuff) will make the sub perform as if it was in a bigger box... some will say it also eliminates standing waves, but others argue that bass waves are too big to come into play in a small box...

BTW, why are you building it on your back seat?? Why not in your trunk?? :confused:

AccordEpicenter
02-12-2003, 10:22 PM
you shouldnt have to worry about standing waves in a small car like ours, but stuffing like polyfill or fiberglass tends to help low frequency responce at the cost of a little efficiency

88 Accord DX
02-13-2003, 05:44 PM
okay i researched like a bitch today at school insead of doing work and this is what im gonna do:

3/4" MDF or birch plywood (if i can find it and have enough money)
insulate with polyfill (stuff in pillows)
and a shit load of wood glue.

i plan on making it 4 ft wide which should be jsut enough to fit into the back seat. its gonna be a triangular type shape. its gonna be around 1 ft tall. if all my calulations are correct it shoudl be the perfect size for my subs. now i just gotta find all the stuff and wait for b-ball to be over.