PDA

View Full Version : tightening front sway bar end bushings .....

AC439
06-24-2017, 08:58 AM
I have poked around forum for a while and can't seem to find a good answer.

Just changed out the original (yep, 31 years old) front sway bar end bushings today. I bought the set from Amazon (poly, red color). The installation was pretty straight forward but not sure if I tightened it correctly.

After I fit everything together, I hand tightened the nut to the set (threaded in about 3 - 4 turns). At this point, no thread at the end of the bolt showing beyond the nut. I then started tightening the set and the bushing were being compressed. I used standard wrentches but they were all too easy to tighten. After more tightening (and more compressing of the bushings), I got about 3/4" of the bolt showing beyond the nut. I was a bit scared if I keep going, I will break the new bushings so I stopped. I read somewhere to use 22ft-lbs but even at this point, I think I was not even using this much torque.

Also, the nut is not a locking type. I am considering getting another nut to double it as a locking nut.

Test drive definitely showing a little tighter on the turns and I needed less effort to turn the steering wheel.

Did I do it right ?
-AC

Oldblueaccord
06-25-2017, 01:05 AM
Yes i would use lock nuts.

The link to the sway bar will bind the bushings some. I would just try and keep it even on both sides so not to pre load the bar either side. It one of the few things I would not go strictly by the torque call out.

AC439
06-25-2017, 11:01 AM
thanks for reply. Drove car today for about 20 miles or so and definitely feel the steering is better and turns are tighter. Got to get nuts from home depot as locking. Prob get some stainless steel nuts. May take some pics when I can get to it in a few days.

Dr_Snooz
06-26-2017, 08:51 PM
I think I put some blue Loctite on mine and have had no trouble in the several dozen thousand miles since.

AC439
07-22-2017, 06:23 AM
I ended up add a nut to lock it in place. Before I added the second nut, the original nut was still in same place and did not loosen. I think this will do it.