PDA

View Full Version : Lx-i electrical problems?

95AccordEXR
05-25-2002, 03:02 PM
car: 88 accord lx-i (canadian version)... Automatic with fuel injection

ok... symptoms:

1) the engine lights is always on, the ECM's (aka ECU) led light is just on, all the time. I thought it was supposed to blink so you can read the codes!

2) when engine is running, it won't go past 3750rpm... it bounces off that rpm like it's hitting a rev limiter

3) a lot of the time, a minute or two after starting the car I get a clicking noise from beneath the dash and the engine usually cuts out. Sometimes one of the valves in this thing:

http://www.mosesgoat.com/photos/rbp/hunter/newbox1.jpg

clicks at the same time. If I unplug the box the clicking valve stops, but the under-dash click does not. Car eventually dies if not immediately and will not restart for at least few minutes. Very rarely the car runs fine for hours. Very rarely.

She's sitting in the backyard now until I can figure out the problem... someone help her... doesn;t she look sad?

http://www.mosesgoat.com/photos/rbp/88accord.jpg

njpeter
05-25-2002, 04:26 PM
not having an injected accord , I shouldn't answer, but I've read about it enough times to know its the ( drumroll please).....

main relay. $50 or so US..some say they can be repaired (simple resolder job)

fuel injection guru's are free to heckle me if I'm wrong

95AccordEXR
05-25-2002, 04:33 PM
main relay? ok.. this is a start. It's a common problem here? I've done some searching but turned up nothing. Can I get a used one from another car?

gugumachi
05-25-2002, 04:46 PM
yeah, you can pull them from junkyard cars. do a search on here for main relay. i can't remember if it was here or on AF, but someone had some pictures, etc.

95AccordEXR
05-25-2002, 04:53 PM
I did a search of all forums for any date and nothing came up

95AccordEXR
05-25-2002, 04:55 PM
musta been on the old board

ACCORD EX
05-25-2002, 11:24 PM
it was on AF board !
but i save everthing so here it is ! :D

MIKE

95AccordEXR
05-26-2002, 04:39 AM
Dude! Thanks a lot. Much appreciated!

Is that the fuel injection main relay, the one located beneath the coin tray? If not, can you tell me where it is located?

Can you also post a link to the posts about this problem on the AF? My searches are not turning up anything there. Thanks.

ACCORD EX
05-26-2002, 05:12 AM
yes that is the one !
about it's location i am not sure ! but i guess you 're right ( i have a carbed car :) )

about the AF thing , i think our posts were deleted from there !:D
they really got pissed off by us ! :lol :D

i hope this helps ! :)

MIKE

95AccordEXR
05-26-2002, 06:01 AM
Excellent... this helps soooo much. My manual shows where it is so it should be a snap to remove. Thanks.

88LXi/87CRXSi
05-26-2002, 10:21 AM
I don't think anyone mentioned, that to find out the ECU code(s), look under the driver's seat. There will be a box, with a flap covering the led. With key "on" count the blinks, may be more than one code tho. Then check FAQ section for codes. Do that first, before replacing the main relay. Which, btw,isn''t hard to replace like u said! I'm gonna try to attach a pic ..maybe. But with the Main relay, it won't start.

Steve

88LXi/87CRXSi
05-26-2002, 10:34 AM
Whoops, here' the main relay if it shows up, the red base with white plug going into it. The cover should lift off the hinges.

Steve
http://us.f1.yahoofs.com/users/2e63af03/bc/My+Photos/MainRelay.jpg?bc6MMG9Aa9fKSyxS

95AccordEXR
05-26-2002, 12:12 PM
Originally posted by 88LXi/87CRXSi
I don't think anyone mentioned, that to find out the ECU code(s), look under the driver's seat. There will be a box, with a flap covering the led. With key "on" count the blinks, may be more than one code tho. Then check FAQ section for codes. Do that first, before replacing the main relay. Which, btw,isn''t hard to replace like u said! I'm gonna try to attach a pic ..maybe. But with the Main relay, it won't start.

Steve

that's the thing... the LED is on all the time... the little light in the box under the driver's seat right? It doesn;t blink... it's just on.

88LXi/87CRXSi
05-26-2002, 12:30 PM
Oh shit, ok. I think someone had the light on thing & it turned out to be his ecu was fucked! But, did you try resetting the ecu? If that doesn't help, don't know what else to suggest, check connections? Might need a cheap replacement(boneyard). Hope that's not it, good luck! :confused:

ACCORD EX
05-26-2002, 12:45 PM
BTW to reset ECU you don't have to remove battery terminal , just the ECU fuse !

MIKE

95AccordEXR
05-26-2002, 12:46 PM
Originally posted by 88LXi/87CRXSi
Oh shit, ok. I think someone had the light on thing & it turned out to be his ecu was fucked! But, did you try resetting the ecu? If that doesn't help, don't know what else to suggest, check connections? Might need a cheap replacement(boneyard). Hope that's not it, good luck! :confused:

I pulled the ecu fuse and the check engine light remained on and nothing else changed. I think I'll take a little trip to the scrapyard and try to find a relay and ecu.

Thanks all.

Bobs89LXi
05-26-2002, 03:38 PM
I hate to say this, but it sounds to me like your ECU has brain damage. I would say that the processor chip took a major hit. Your best bet would be to get a replacement ECU from a wrecker. However, if they are like the ones here, they remove them from the cars before they go out into the yard. They will charge you a premium price for it, but it is still less than what the dealer would charge. :rolleyes:

95AccordEXR
05-27-2002, 06:08 AM
Ok...I'm on the lookout for a new ecu... 88 accord, auto w/ EFI. Does the replacement HAVE to be be from an 88 with auto/efi or can they be from other years? I assume it has to be from another car with auto/efi right?

Bobs89LXi
05-27-2002, 08:18 AM
The ECU you get must be from the same engine type as what is in your car. I might be mistaken, but the 86/87 FI engine is slightly different from the 88/89 engine, so I am assuming that an 89 ECU would be interchangable with yours.

ACCORD EX
05-27-2002, 12:26 PM
if i were you i'll try to find on from the same car ! ?
i know it's not easy :D

MIKE

95AccordEXR
05-28-2002, 09:10 AM
well, I'll certainly take an ecu from an identical car if possible, but lately the number of 3rd gens being scrapped around here is limited.