PDA

View Full Version : well my water pump took a crap, questions about replacement.

2old_honda
02-12-2003, 12:42 PM
So I just noticed today that my water pump is leaking pretty bad and needs to be replaced. I just got a colt cam that I have not put in yet, and I will be doing the cam, cam seals, water pump, and timing belt at the same time. My question is should I also replace the timing belt idler pulley? Since I am going to be replacing the cam at the same time, will I still need to remove the lower crank pulley?

YK86
02-12-2003, 01:11 PM
You'll need to remove the crank pulley to take the lower timing belt cover off. I alway make sure the timing belt tensioner is spinning smoothly. So far, I've never had to replace one.

89AccordNate
02-12-2003, 02:48 PM
I heard that you need to use a OEM honda water pump. The pullies wear out aftermarket pumps because they werent designed for the extra play that the pullies have like the honda pumps have.

Honda told me that, and I Heard it here too.

Nate.

2old_honda
02-12-2003, 03:26 PM
yeah, i am going to use OEM honda belts, seals, and pump.

BTW- I am going to replace my front main seal why I have everything taken apart.

BLck89accord
02-12-2003, 03:57 PM
Nate enjoys water pumps:lol I'd listen to him if i were you.

A20A1
02-12-2003, 04:27 PM
Honda belts last FOR-EV-ER (Sandlot refrence)

well not forever but my timing bet sure took a beating and held together.

I never knew that about the pumps... I'm not sure what i have... i know it's a rebuilt one and it looks 10x more solid then my flimsy old pump I had in the car.

ELM'sLX+CHL'sDX
02-12-2003, 05:26 PM
If you're refering to the Timing Belt Tensioner, then yes, you should replace it. I'm willing to wager that if you take your current Timing Belt Tensioner and spin the pulley, you will hear it click.

Be safe on this one, replace it instead of having it seize on you.

Claude

AccordEpicenter
02-13-2003, 09:26 AM
Yea def stick to honda pumps, i had a aftermarket one die with less than 30k miles on it... unacceptable.

DBMaster
02-13-2003, 01:38 PM
I, too, had a very nice looking aftermarket pump (brand new) with bearing problems after only 18,000 miles. I wasn't any cheaper than getting a genuine Honda pump from hondaautomotiveparts.com, either.

From now on I stick with what works. You can replace it without removing the timing belt cover. It's just a lot harder.