PDA

View Full Version : Can't select gears!!

95AccordEXR
05-25-2002, 03:21 PM
car: 88 accord lx-i (canadian version)... Automatic with fuel injection

The gear selector just doesn't do anything.. whatever position it is in, the car stays in neutral (or park... I can't tell which).

I disconnected the shift cable from the shifter arm and pushed it all the way in and pulled it all the way out but nothing happens. Sometimes, when the cable is all the way in (the park position) you can hear a little bit of grinding, but only for a second.

Anyways, do you think it's the tranny itself or is it a break in the linkage? Anyone know how to adjust the linkage from the tranny side? And where does it actually meet the transaxle?

Thanks for your help.

POS carb
05-25-2002, 07:15 PM
1st, if you can't roll your car it's in park, if you can then it's in neutral
2nd try revving the motor a little bit, if you notice more noises CHECK YOUR TRANS FLUID LEVEL
Do you feel resistance on the lever as you change gears?

95AccordEXR
05-26-2002, 04:50 AM
1) She's on grass and has sunk a little into the ground so she won't roll.

2) I'll check the fluid again, but it was topped up a few months ago.

3) The lever flows smoothly as it should. The lever mechanism itself works fine (all the safetys work, ie you have to press the button to shift to certain gears: P, R, etc...). The cable attached to the lever moves in and out fine, but the transaxle doesn't choose a gear.

UPDATE: the car will only start if the lever is in the P or N position so the "Neutral Start Switch" is functioning. Sometimes when I start the car in "neutral" (the lever is in the N position) the transaxle immediately shifts into reverse for a few seconds. So, for that moment or two, N = R and D4 = N etc...

Does anyone know where the cable attaches to the transaxle? It is not described in this haynes manual. :(