PDA

View Full Version : 3rd Gen Newbie & Convert

Nick87LXIHB
07-02-2017, 08:39 PM
Hello all, happy to be your newest member & look forward to your knowledge & passion for the 3rd Gen Hondas. First, a little backstory...

I've never owned a Honda of any sort until about a year and half ago. I was always partial to German vehicles. My first car was a '83 BMW 320i followed by an '86 VW GTI. I've also had a couple of Mercedes turbo diesels. Most recently I was on an Audi trip. I bought a 2003 Audi A6 2.7T in 2006 and had it for about 6 yrs. Like all German cars around 90k miles it was due for $5-6k in routine maintenance. Pass. I sold it and bought an '88 Audi 5000 Turbo in great condition. I drove it and really liked until my brother blew it up. I worked at a car dealership at the time & was at work when I got the call about my 5000. Needing a car immeediately, I went to check out the recent trade-ins. You can probably guess the next part. Yes, I bought an old Honda Accord. It's a 1987 LXI Hatchback with the 2.0L FI engine. I decided to buy it because it was a one-owner vehicle with 108k miles & super clean. It was owned by an engineer for Boeing. He bought the car new & only used it to drive back & forth to work. He traded it on a new Fiesta to fulfill the same duty. Oh, and did I mention the price? I paid what the dealership gave for it, $500, plus taxes & fees of course(not even I could avoid the dealership admin fees.) So, I was $986 all in. I had the oil changed, put a new set of tires on & had the tie rod ends replaced. Up to about $1450 invested at this point. The plan was to just drive it a while until I decided what I wanted next. But this little car has grown on me. It has 123k miles now & has only required a water pump & new thermostat. It's not fast or even quick, but fulfills its duties faithfully. It's close enough to being a really nice, clean car that I decided to keep it & bring it back to as new as I can, within reason. I look forward to posting pics & progress & leaning on all your expertise. If you read all of this dribble, thanks for indulging me. Happy motoring!

Shane86
07-02-2017, 10:34 PM
Welcome

tof
07-03-2017, 07:55 AM
Welcome aboard. What a find. Looking forward to pics.

Honda#1
07-05-2017, 03:37 AM
Welcome and perhaps when you make up your mind what you really want then you can sell it to me. What tranny does it have? I hope you take good care and do not abuse it. It will serve you good. I am really into the third gen Accord ev