PDA

View Full Version : temp gauge problems

Jerren
05-25-2002, 04:28 PM
its been like this for a few years now. basically what happens is wen i cut on the car the temp gauge rises to normal. then after driving for a bit the damn thing shoots up to Hades!!! but of course if my car was actually running that hot it would be on fire. then after staying up for a while it just drops back down to normal. it normally does this the entire time i'm driving. we've done everything from replacing the radiator to new thermostats. what the hell can i do about this?

95AccordEXR
05-25-2002, 04:30 PM
does it drop when you're moving and rise when you stop? If so, it's not the gauge

Jerren
05-28-2002, 12:05 PM
no it just does it any time the car is on. if i just leave it in park for 3 mins, it'll probably do it.

Hoshizakido
05-28-2002, 12:50 PM
I would check to make sure you have enough coolent if your getting low on coolent quickly check for leaks. if that doesnt help its probably your thermistat is not opening soon enough youll need to replace it.

CoAsTeR
05-28-2002, 12:55 PM
keep in mind that the gauges fail HIGH.... when I tried to replace my faulty gauge, it took me four or five gauges from the scrap yard till I found one that worked. Most of them, once I plugged it in... just shot sky high to Hot.

CoAsTeR
05-28-2002, 12:57 PM
BTW, if you're making a trip to the scrap yard... swipe the fan relay, which is under the hood in the fuse box on passenger side, I found mine was faulty as well.