PDA

View Full Version : Going turbo with carbs possible ?

AWH
07-09-2017, 02:33 AM
I'm thinking of a turbo on my 2 gen. Prelude but it is dual carbed. Can anyone tell me what i would need to be able to tune it as best as possible with carbs ? I read about fuelpressureregulator at least,but what more ? I assume i will have to be able to adjust timing as well ? If so,How ?
Will i have to go obd0 ?

And what stands "obd" for anyway ?

I'm reading myself in a bit,but all the info makes my head spin,so sorry for all my stupid questions.

Auke.

Shane86
07-09-2017, 08:10 AM
Obd on board diagnostics. You would have to go OBD1 to properly tune it and you would have to be fuel injected for that.

AWH
07-09-2017, 10:18 AM
You're always helpful,thanks.

Noticed trying to turbo a carb is "never" going to be properly tunable,so will leave that idea.But understand that obd0 and turbo can be done,don't need FI for that ,do i ?
There should be a solution to turbo obd0,i read. Some sort of adjustable fuelpressure regulator.

What is the difference between no obd and obd0 , or is that the same .

Auke.

Oldblueaccord
07-09-2017, 11:25 AM
I'm thinking of a turbo on my 2 gen. Prelude but it is dual carbed. Can anyone tell me what i would need to be able to tune it as best as possible with carbs ? I read about fuelpressureregulator at least,but what more ? I assume i will have to be able to adjust timing as well ? If so,How ?
Will i have to go obd0 ?

And what stands "obd" for anyway ?

I'm reading myself in a bit,but all the info makes my head spin,so sorry for all my stupid questions.

Auke.

Research "blow thru carb", is what your looking for. Be tricky with duel carbs but single is what most people do.

My friends running a nice setup with a cheap turbo and a Fitech on a 302 Ford.Pretty easy and cheap.

Shane86
07-09-2017, 12:21 PM
You're always helpful,thanks.

Noticed trying to turbo a carb is "never" going to be properly tunable,so will leave that idea.But understand that obd0 and turbo can be done,don't need FI for that ,do i ?
There should be a solution to turbo obd0,i read. Some sort of adjustable fuelpressure regulator.

What is the difference between no obd and obd0 , or is that the same .

Auke.

The adjustable fuel thing you're talking about I think is a fmu fuel management unit. It tricks the fuel system and I believe you have to be fuel injected for that to work too. Talk to( knifemind) he's doing some similar blow through turbo project

AWH
07-10-2017, 06:57 AM
"Research "blow thru carb", is what your looking for".

I've been reading through there,so much info...hard to get a grip on it and keep things apart.

Would supercharging be an easier route with carbs,or does it have the same challenges ?

Shane86
07-10-2017, 07:24 AM
"Research "blow thru carb", is what your looking for".

I've been reading through there,so much info...hard to get a grip on it and keep things apart.

Would supercharging be an easier route with carbs,or does it have the same challenges ?

Any forced induction mod is going to have challenges I would start out by building the motor

carotman
07-11-2017, 08:26 AM
Converting to EFI will be less of a challenge and will deliver better results in the end.

Oldblueaccord
07-15-2017, 05:46 PM
Pulled a couple of links for you.

Inside Demon's Blow-Through Carb - Hot Rod Network (http://www.hotrod.com/articles/inside-demons-blow-through-carb/)

Build a Blow-Through Carb for Less Than $50 - Hot Rod Network (http://www.hotrod.com/articles/build-blow-carb-less-50/)

AWH
07-16-2017, 10:02 AM
Nice links,thanks !

Not sure yet to do blow/draw-through,or convert to FI first and go from there. First have to gather everything anyway so will take a while but will use that time to get some more knowlegde about this particular stuff.
Really envy some of you guys because of your perseverence and knowhow.Appreciate the help given.

Question :you guys talk about the lxi distributor and ecu to convert,but i assume that the 2 gen Prelude FI distributor and ecu, which came straight after the carb,same engine, will also do ? The same even i think as the lxi ones ? Or not ?

And i thought that "dizzy" meant distributor but is doesn't ? What stands dizzy for ?

Auke.

Shane86
07-16-2017, 12:27 PM
Nice links,thanks !

Not sure yet to do blow/draw-through,or convert to FI first and go from there. First have to gather everything anyway so will take a while but will use that time to get some more knowlegde about this particular stuff.
Really envy some of you guys because of your perseverence and knowhow.Appreciate the help given.

Question :you guys talk about the lxi distributor and ecu to convert,but i assume that the 2 gen Prelude FI distributor and ecu, which came straight after the carb,same engine, will also do ? The same even i think as the lxi ones ? Or not ?

And i thought that "dizzy" meant distributor but is doesn't ? What stands dizzy for ?

Auke.

Dizzy is the slang word for distributor. Post some pictures of your distributor and head so we can see if a distributor adapter plate will fit. Have you thought about just putting a nos kit on it

AWH
07-17-2017, 09:47 AM
NOS is not going to do it for me .I want some real crafted stuff for the "long" run. Something good or nothing at all...

In the "classic Prelude" i have a question about a dizzy,it is the same model as i have at the moment on my carbed A18A1,exept i have only one vacuum-exit on the black box,this one has two, and i don't believe i have the square little whitish thing on the bottom of it ". Mounting-legs are the same though.

Auke.

Shane86
07-17-2017, 10:41 AM
NOS is not going to do it for me .I want some real crafted stuff for the "long" run. Something good or nothing at all...

In the "classic Prelude" i have a question about a dizzy,it is the same model as i have at the moment on my carbed A18A1,exept i have only one vacuum-exit on the black box,this one has two, and i don't believe i have the square little whitish thing on the bottom of it ". Mounting-legs are the same though.

Auke.

From the looks of it it looks like a carbureted distributor and that square Little Box is the igniter unit. I don't know about the carbureted distributor maybe someone else will chime in about the vacuum lines

AWH
07-17-2017, 11:00 AM
Ok,thanks for answering.

My ignition control module is black and is mounted on the firewall,so i didn't recognize this one.

Now you know about the two mounting-legs,how about that adaptorplate ?

Auke.

Shane86
07-17-2017, 11:34 AM
I'm actually using a carbureted piece that holds the distributor cuz the original one broke. One of the mounting holes is off with the adapter plate.3 out of 5 holes line up