PDA

View Full Version : Please help me fix my car

Tref_LXI
02-13-2003, 01:21 PM
Hello everyone, i have posted here a while back but i forgot my user name. Anyway my car has 194k miles on it and is having some very weird problems for being taken care of so well.
My father is buying me the parts i need, but i have to pay him back someday. Let me list my problems that it has:
#1 Rpms are eratic, but the engine does not change sound, it runs fine, but says im always about 1k higher than i really am and it fluctuates all the time.
#2 After i start the car it sqeels about 5 seconds into having turned it on, I think its the fan belt, because it will do it at idle sometimes. I brought the car into the garage and let it sit all night with the hood up. I started the car, with the garage door up of course, and it didnt even sqeel once. I think water is somehow getting on the belt. It snows here a lot and snow sits on my dash all night + dew. How do i keep it from sqeeling?
#3 My last and biggest problem, It EATS SPARK PLUGS. It only eats the #1 and #4 spark plug. I have put about 30 spark plugs into both of these in the past 8 months alone. I think it may be a piston hitting the spark plug, but it does not make much sense to me, because I drove my car to california in one day, only to stop for gas and i drove about 2 thousand miles with it, the car ran great and didnt break any plugs, but 3 days later after driving 5 miles it ate another one.
My neighbor builds engines and takes them apart and agreed to let me borrow any tools i need to take a look at the cylinders.
Im on my way to go buy another 4 pack of spark plugs bpr6ey - 11 NGk spark plugs, with a gap of 1.1mm just like my manual recommends.
If anyone can help i would love to here from you, i really dont want to get rid of my car, but if these problems keep up im going to buy a lude or maybe a newer accord. I really dont want to, because i know this car is a great one and i dont do any hard starts or racing with it either, and I check all the fluids and change them on schedule. Thank you ALL 3geez, i love the site:bow: @ 3geez.com

dXsquared
02-13-2003, 01:26 PM
you dont have a fan belt... we have electric fans! but its prolly the other serpintine belt... gett it tightened

Travis

HVerLX
02-13-2003, 01:57 PM
umm for #3 umm your getting the wrong sparkplugs there are like 3 diffrent sizes get a size smaller. the outer pistons are the ones most likely the ones that his the plugs ;). try just getting a smaller plug and see if it runs if it runs and doesnt fell like likes missing use it untill you got time to make sure every thing is alright with the cylenders and pistons.

HVerLX
02-13-2003, 02:01 PM
#2 umm i been working on 350 engins for awhile and the way i get rid of it i take a 2x4 peice of wood and put it under the altinator lossen the altinater and use the peice of wood as a lver to pull the altinater tighter then tighten it i dont know if thats the same with the accords but hey if it is try it.

OR
Means its soo cold they dont grip that well untell they warm up. There is a spray you can get called belt dressing or somthing like that... you just spray it on the belts and it will help it grip.

Tref_LXI
02-13-2003, 04:17 PM
Ok i just got back from checker with some titanium spark plugs and when i put them in the car, it just makes a knocking sound and drips of oil are on top of them all. I took all 4 out, and put back my 3 old spark plugs. It still makes the knocking noise, im really close to just selling this car, but who would be crazy to buy this thing?:mad:

HVerLX
02-13-2003, 04:19 PM
Originally posted by Tref_LXI
Ok i just got back from checker with some titanium spark plugs and when i put them in the car, it just makes a knocking sound and drips of oil are on top of them all. I took all 4 out, and put back my 3 old spark plugs. It still makes the knocking noise, im really close to just selling this car, but who would be crazy to buy this thing?:mad:

get some smaller plugs theres diffrent lengths get a smaller set and see if it starts.. i think thats the problem because i race hydro planes and we use japanese import outboard motors and i used long spark plugs and ended up screwing up my engin i got some shorter ones and i gained HP

89AccordNate
02-13-2003, 10:37 PM
I have never seen longer or shorter spark plugs. The ones made for our motors, are the ones that should work. Its not the spark plugs that are the problem. IF their the right model number for the car, they obviously will work. If their NGK, they will work fine. NGK is good stuff.

As for the knocking sound, I have a feeling your motor is gone. If its knocking and dripping oil, you my as well say good bye to it. It could be the valves, but valves rattle, not really knock unless they are in horrible bent shape.

As for the belt squeal, the altenator is on the right hand side and further back to the left. In order to adjust it you will need to loosen up the lower bolt that holds the alt from the bottom. You can access this through the wheel well. You will also need to loosen one bolt that is attached to a bolt with sort of ring on it. Loosen the one in the front, and then tighten the one in the rear. You will see what im talking about when you look at it.

But I have a feeling that motor is trashed......have your buddy run a compression test.

Nate.

3G Jester
02-13-2003, 10:46 PM
The engine DOES have 193k on it.....

1) your timing belt may be shot/going/gone

2) Your belt is just tight. spray it

3) no clue about the plugs...maybe ur pistons are goign to far up, or somthing. Perhaps carbon deposits from 193,000 miles worth of explosions have just built up......

Tref_LXI
02-14-2003, 12:51 AM
Well im going to get rid of the piece of shit car. My family bought it when it first came out, within about 3 days i think. We have always changed the oil on time, never raced it around, kept it clean, serviced the parts in the engine, and now it takes a giant shit on me. I have no money, im depressed, and im stuck with this giant piece of shit in my garage. Thanks for the help anyway people, enjoy your working cars.

:flipa: @ my pos 89 lxi

cruznz
02-14-2003, 01:08 AM
did you check your cambelt??????

MrBen
02-14-2003, 12:01 PM
Just take it somewhere and ask dude, they're not going to charge you to ask a question. If you're lucky they'll look at it for free.