PDA

View Full Version : After Maaco

SteveDX89
05-25-2002, 04:45 PM
Got the ole car back from Maaco today. Overall, nice work. When you get down real close, questionable. Bastards didn't even take off the mudflaps, just taped 'em. There was overspray all over the place. Went back and bitched, got free black spray paint, razors, stool wool, paint thinner. I got most of it today. Just need to get the p-side mud flaps and d-side door handle.

SteveDX89
05-25-2002, 04:45 PM
No emblem :super:

SteveDX89
05-25-2002, 04:46 PM
Another

SteveDX89
05-25-2002, 04:46 PM
No emblems :super:

POS carb
05-25-2002, 05:26 PM
pretty nice job there, I swapped my rear "H" with a smaller one from a 4th gen, I don't like the bulky original one

philendrick
05-25-2002, 05:49 PM
how much did the paint / labor cost??

n88accordLX-i
05-25-2002, 05:54 PM
yeah they did a real good job on my friends accord, i though it was the stock paint , and it was only like a 240$ job, no overspray anywhere that i noticed, and how much was it to shave the moldings and did they do body work to get dents out and stuff?

SteveDX89
05-25-2002, 09:02 PM
My paint job cost $761. It included 6 1/2 hrs of labor to strip the hood and headlights covers, remove the pinstripe, and fill the emblem holes. I got the ultra-urethane paint package with the value prep service on special for $375. The labor and materials jacked it up a bit. My mouldings aren't shaved. They're laying in the garage waiting for new clips. I broke all those damn things pulling it off.

1989 DX R
05-25-2002, 09:19 PM
Looks good! :bandit:

damackz
05-25-2002, 10:20 PM
Originally posted by SteveDX89
My paint job cost $761. It included 6 1/2 hrs of labor to strip the hood and headlights covers, remove the pinstripe, and fill the emblem holes. I got the ultra-urethane paint package with the value prep service on special for $375. The labor and materials jacked it up a bit. My mouldings aren't shaved. They're laying in the garage waiting for new clips. I broke all those damn things pulling it off.

Daymn man u could have gotten a base/clear paintjob with that amount, but it looks good bro! :pimp:

YK86
05-26-2002, 01:03 AM
Looks pretty good! I would get the moulding clips from the wreckers. Honda askes for way too much. How come you didn't paint the door handles?? Also, where can you get a base coat clearcoat paint job for $375?? Maaco's (crappy) prep work is included with that cost while good places charge about $20-35/hr to strip down and prep everything, paint the car, and assemble everything which usually means about $1200-$2000 plus extra body work like rust fixing is added to that (this is if you don't have a friend who can do it for you for cheap).

damackz
05-26-2002, 01:40 AM
;) lol i dunno when i went to macco they were giving me that same paint job (ultra urethane) with the value prep for just my claim no $$ but yeah its good to have friends in the biz :D hey yasu when ur ready to get ur car painted and stuff tell me and i will see how much my uncle can do it for cuz hez got a shop with a paint booth and everything :pimp:

YK86
05-26-2002, 02:41 AM
Cool!!! Maybe that's the way to go then for my next paint job! I was really impressed with your paintjob and also the price you paid for it. It must be nice to have hookups! If you could get me a rough ball park figure next time you see him, I can start planning for it.

88mirror
01-16-2003, 11:07 PM
I went to maaco and when i got my car back they had painted my mirrors and the muddflaps without me telling them too... and now the paint is falling off of the front bumper, mirrors and muddflaps and i got the paintjob a year ago. I suggest if your going to get it painted go somewhere decent.

Neuspeed007
01-16-2003, 11:14 PM
nice look, i want mine to look like that soon, but it wont. ya i hear macco sux

Chrome_thangs
01-16-2003, 11:31 PM
:super:

socal3rdgen
01-16-2003, 11:33 PM
if you look at my signiture, im stripping my car so i can repaint it. im doing it in collabrotion with BolinkXR (3geez member) him and his roomate are helping me out so much. he has a air compessor with paint tool. and the gold hatch that bolink drive looks great, they painted that and about 3 other cars i have seen uip close. man they look realy good. better then any maaco job. all i have to pay for is the paint and supplies. its a great learning experience. even though its hard i am enjoyng myself and building a good relationship in the process.

88turboaccord
01-16-2003, 11:41 PM
Hey travis. Didn;t know you could paint.. My 97 accord needs a paint job man....

Mike89Accordcom
01-17-2003, 12:27 AM
For maaco that looks pretty decent. My paintjob cost me $2K.

markmdz89hatch
01-17-2003, 06:26 AM
Ok, don't kill me but...

...I did a lot of research before I got my car painted, and I ultimately went Maaco. Why? Well, my funds were not unlimited, and everyone I talked to (including body shops) told me that the major reason that Maaco jobs come out looking like shit is b/c of the terrible prep work. Now I also spoke to a few detailing shops, and a few detailers supply distributors, and all told the same story. Maaco (suprisingly) uses a high quality paint that goes on real thick, and last a decent amount of time. The only problem with that is that (once again) Maaco prep and finish work blows the big one, so the paint does strange things after only a year or so.

What's the solution?
Well, break out those tools and yank off everything that they would normally tape around. Take everything off it. Lenses (front and back), grill, moldings, gutter clips, antenna, windshield washers, emblems, mudflaps, handles, etc. It's worth spending that extra bit of time on it. Then, break out that sanding block and a 400 grit paper and sand the shit out of any rock chips, deep scratches, etc, that you come across. Hell if ur anal enough, yank off the bumpers too. Now if you don't live close enough to the place to drive the naked car to them, then remove what you needed to keep on, right in their parking lot, and just toss it in ur car. Make sure that you tape the molding clip holes and any other holes left that might cause overspray to get inside the car. Then, when you get it home, (as soon as it's done) wetsand the whole car with a 1500-2000 grit black paper. If you can, avoid rain/other harsh conditions for a week or so, then wax it. Don't wax it right away b/c you want the paint to breath for a little while. Then when you do wax it for the first time, use something without any silicone and you'll have that 2K paint job for a lot less.

...Sorry for the long ass post.

BTW... Steve, that coupe looks badass! I like it! White is truly the best.

iloveJDMblackrims69
01-17-2003, 07:25 AM
O so is the prep and finish work the labor??? i always thought it was the paint that sucked, so i guess its not so maybe the 3 gee may be gettin a paint job soon :), BUT i have like 30 freakin small sized dent all around the car and it would just be TOOOOOOOO much bondo

honda88mike
01-17-2003, 08:48 AM
I'm getting my car painted at Maaco sometime next week. I've heard all the horor stories, but they're just so damn cheap! I figure that they have to have more good outcomes than bad, because otherwise they wouldn't be one of the most popular paint places. After I get the car painted I'll try to post some before and after pics.

markmdz89hatch
01-17-2003, 10:20 AM
Originally posted by honda88mike
I'm getting my car painted at Maaco sometime next week. I've heard all the horor stories, but they're just so damn cheap! I figure that they have to have more good outcomes than bad, because otherwise they wouldn't be one of the most popular paint places. After I get the car painted I'll try to post some before and after pics.

Ok, but if you do, please, for the love of everything holy, spend some time on it as you can see Steve did, and it WILL come out very good. You don't even have to do the "after paint" wet sand, but please do the other suggestions. The reason they are so popular is b/c they are so damn cheap. Most people don't give a shit about paint, and would rather spend 500 every 5 years to repaint the car, then just break out the wash bucket then use a little wax. Other reasons is b/c used car dealerships use them all the time for the same idea (a cheap, quick, resale booster, and blem hider).

All body work that needs to be done should be done either by urself, or a pro. body shop, not by maaco.

pmip
01-17-2003, 12:04 PM
Originally posted by socal3rdgen
if you look at my signiture, im stripping my car so i can repaint it. im doing it in collabrotion with BolinkXR (3geez member) him and his roomate are helping me out so much. he has a air compessor with paint tool. and the gold hatch that bolink drive looks great, they painted that and about 3 other cars i have seen uip close. man they look realy good. better then any maaco job. all i have to pay for is the paint and supplies. its a great learning experience. even though its hard i am enjoyng myself and building a good relationship in the process.

I just about have my car finished. I stripped all the old paint all off, put on 3 differant primers, Pure White basecoat, and a coat of clear. I still need a little more clear to finish it up, but it looks really nice. Doing it yourself the right way (air compressor, good paint) is a great learning experience and a lot of fun, but it just takes so damn long and is so much work! It's one of those things I'll do once or twice just to learn about it, but no more than that.

SteveDX89
01-18-2003, 01:59 PM
The nice thing about my paint job is I have a four year warranty on it. Christ, it's been almost a year already. The paint on the hood where the emblem once was is cracked. I just noticed it the other day so I'm gonna go down there when I get the time and have them fix it for free. I plan on getting the car painted again sometime in the future. I'm gonna try to find a way to do it myself. No one will put as much attention to it as I will. It might be a while though. The B16 comes first. Anyways, thanks for the compliments. When winter is over and I get it washed and waxed, I'll take some more pics and post them.

NeubJ
01-19-2003, 11:03 AM
Looks good!! Just add some wheel and it will look real nice!!

Mike's89AccordLX
01-19-2003, 11:14 AM
Dude I love those rims. Are those prelude si rims?

SteveDX89
01-20-2003, 03:10 PM
No, they're factory Accord rims.