PDA

View Full Version : My Car Will Not Start (for Long).

1986hbdx
02-13-2003, 06:28 PM
MY CAR WILL NOT START (FOR LONG). I HAVE A 1986 CARB. WHEN I GIVE THE CAR GAS, THE MOTOR WORK. THE MINUTE I TAKE MY FOOT OF THE GAS IT SLOW DOWN AND STOP. WHEN I GIVE IT GAS IT TAKES LONG TO BILL UP RPM. DO ANY ONE THE KNOW THE PROBLEM. help:burn: :burn: :mad: :rant:

smufguy
02-13-2003, 10:53 PM
seems like ur choke is acting up like it did for mine. All you do is, put ur hand behind the carb and u will feel a black plastic screw/knob, turn it clockwise or counter clockwise till the car does not die without any increase in rpm.

BEfore you do that what u do is adjust the idle stop screw, this is done by adjusting the idle stop screw on the bottom left of the carb (easier if ur air box is removed). its a spring loaded screw-case that adjusts the throttle valve opening. Adjust this before u mess with the idle screw.

Hope that helps. :)

shepherd79
02-14-2003, 04:25 AM
no, i think you have a vacuum leak somewhere in the system. check your hoses for any cracks.

smufguy
02-14-2003, 07:06 AM
but when i had the same problem, There was no Vaccum leak. It was just my carb that was scrwed. Even my mechanic (when he was working for honda, now he is in Land Rover) could not find a way to fix it. I had to readjust the Throttle stop screw and the idle screw to have the car not die on me.