PDA

View Full Version : Climate control not working right...

87rustbucket
07-28-2017, 02:50 PM
This is kinda an update. I posted a long time ago about a 86 hatch lxi I got that had some issues, long story short my other car bit the dust so I've been trying to get the hatch in perfect running order.

This car before I got it sat for 2 years, and I've been sorting out a few electrical issues. One of the last issues I can't solve is that the blower motor won't turn on all the time. However if I put the blower to the highest setting while the car is running and turn the key just SLIGHTLY as if to start the engine and the blower will come on. Once it is on the vent setting won't change, pressing "vents" " Hi-Lo" "heat" or defrost won't change the direction of the airflow.

I tried to see if I could take the switch cluster out, saw that it would be a lot more involved than I thought, wanted to be sure that that was the problem before I go to far.

Ideas, help of any kind would be much appreciated.

Thanks

gp02a0083
07-31-2017, 04:32 AM
not sure if the early model 86's suffer from the same issues as the later models.

Sounds like this issue may be rooted in the ignition switch. typically when those contacts go you get intermittent operation of both the hvac system and the radio

87rustbucket
08-02-2017, 06:27 AM
The radio works just fine, and that wouldn't explain the vents, heat, ect buttons not working.

gp02a0083
08-02-2017, 08:44 AM

InAccordance
08-02-2017, 10:49 PM
Have the same problem actually... most of the lights in the controls dont work and the position wont change out of defrost.
Heat/cool slider works since it's manual of course, blower intensity works as well... just all the other buttons dont lol
My blower motor makes a god awful whine so I bought one off ebay but have yet to swap it out.

Oldblueaccord
08-03-2017, 09:51 PM
Have the same problem actually... most of the lights in the controls dont work and the position wont change out of defrost.
Heat/cool slider works since it's manual of course, blower intensity works as well... just all the other buttons dont lol
My blower motor makes a god awful whine so I bought one off ebay but have yet to swap it out.

Verify that fuse #10 under dash box is good and is in the fuse holder good. Mines wiggles out sometime and then the HVAC defaults to defrost only no lights on buttons.

Oldblueaccord
08-08-2017, 09:40 AM
Sorry meant fuse #5...10 amp.