PDA

View Full Version : Need Help

1987AccordHB
05-25-2002, 04:57 PM
Im new to the board and was wandering if you guys could help me out with a problem i'm having. I have a 1987 Accord LX-i and everytime when I back up or I slow down and stop at a light my car dies. It starts up fine when I try to restart it , and runs fine as long as I don't stop. Any suggestions on what I should check? Well any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks in advance.

accordlx
05-25-2002, 05:53 PM
You could have a number of problems. The first thing that I would check would be your vaccuum hoses. Make sure that you don't have any cracked or broken ones. The I would check for proper engine timing. Does your car have normal acceleration? Then I would check to see if you are having a fuel pressure problem. That should keep you busy for a while. If you have a question on how do do these tasks, see if you can go to the library and check out a manual or head to the local auto parts store and buy one. This will save you a lot of trial and error.

Your problem could be a lot of things and everyone who has experience here might tell you something different. I know it sounds discouraging but you could have a bad carberator too. Your carb might be very gunked up and a can of carb cleaner might help. Then again it might need to be repaced or rebuilt.

If you are not very knowlegeable about cars, I would take it to a competent mechanic and at least have him diagnose your problem.

Sorry couldn't be much more help.

1988starter
05-26-2002, 05:55 PM
Originally posted by accordlx
I know it sounds discouraging but you could have a bad carberator too. Your carb might be very gunked up and a can of carb cleaner might help. Then again it might need to be repaced or rebuilt.

I think he said he has an LX-i

YK86
05-26-2002, 06:05 PM
Could be a clogged fuel filter, incorrectly set idle speed screw (set to idle too low), or maybe a vaccum leak. I would check those out first.