PDA

View Full Version : Hosting pictures on or for this site.

conozo
08-01-2017, 07:54 AM
I am interesting in finding a solution for picture hosting on this website for everybody. It seems that pictures only last for a few months at most before the third party hosting website changed their rules or the persons account became inactive. The more pictures the better the site.

Can we estimate bandwidth for picture upload and viewing for this site if all pictures were on this site. It could be setup where pictures are only viewable if you are logged in with an account. How much storage do you think it would take to host pictures now and later.

I host several small websites on 1and1 for $10 a month and get unlimited storage and bandwidth. I know it may be slow for this site if it had heavy usage but even slow loading pictures is better than no pictures.

<------ Image Missing ------>

Dr_Snooz
08-01-2017, 07:58 PM
I know 3geez is currently doing some pic hosting, especially for the How-To threads. I'll let 87accordlxi determine how widely available he wants that to be and/or how to integrate with your hosting.

Oldblueaccord
08-01-2017, 10:20 PM
I know 3geez is currently doing some pic hosting, especially for the How-To threads. I'll let 87accordlxi determine how widely available he wants that to be and/or how to integrate with your hosting.

Im back on my Imageshack account.

BUYER BEWARE! they took money out of my account,yearly 37.99, in June and then disabled my account. I tried EVERY way I could to contact them and there is NO ONE HOME.

I finally just re upped the same account for 3.99 a month to get it back. I am using my Chase Visa so if they do it again there in VISA territory.

My wife and I are debating on our own server as well.

87accordlxi
08-02-2017, 07:51 AM
We do have a simple image uploading interface that the mods use. I'm not opposed to opening it up to more people, but I would need to make sure that images can only be linked from 3geez so the tool isn't abused.

Image attachments are also open for all members.

derolph
08-17-2017, 04:30 AM
I just removed the link to the photo of my '88 Accord LX-i, which was hosted on photobucket.com, because photobucket.com recently decided to stop supporting free image hosting. I noticed the photo stopped appearing at the bottom of my posts earlier this month or late July, but I did not know why. In place of the photo, an image appeared saying "PLEASE UPDATE YOUR ACCOUNT TO ENABLE THIRD PARTY HOSTING". I just found an article that sheds some light on this: Photobucket addresses complaints over new policy that charges heavy users $400 (http://www.denverpost.com/2017/07/06/photobucket-complaints-over-charging/) The title of the article is misleading; Photobucket's new policy applies to all users, even very light users.

Dr_Snooz
08-17-2017, 07:54 PM
Huh. I hadn't noticed.

LOL

derolph
08-18-2017, 05:10 AM
What Photobucket did is a shame on them. It sure messes up forum posts such as https://www.3geez.com/forum/classic-honda-pics-videos/59761-couple-teaser-turbo-pics.html. Hundreds of other forums have probably been impacted, too.

knifemind
08-18-2017, 01:23 PM
Yes, this is bull. It fucks nearly 10 years worth of my posts on PP. The hassle to go back and rehost everything is going to be severe.

Oldblueaccord
08-22-2017, 10:15 PM
Oddly on google searches I think I still see pictures which I found weird.