PDA

View Full Version : Parting Out Flooded 1989 Accord LXi Coupe

CA6JMunch
08-04-2017, 07:38 PM
HAS BEEN SOLD

Hello All,
Been a lurker here for a couple years. 3Geez is a great community and even though I was quiet, it provided a lot of great information on my 89 LXi.

Sad to say but in late June my decently clean and stock 89 LXi Coupe was parked in front of my house on the day that the nearby creek decided to overflow, flooding my trusty daily driver up to the dash clock. Insurance didn’t give me anything so it would be deemed a total loss. I am not really wanting to completely tear down and rebuild the motor and shell, and figure the community could find a good home for it or its parts.

I am offering it for parting out or as selling the car whole if there is anyone nearby (I am based in Atlanta, GA) willing to come pick it up. I already know I can get $140 from Pull-A-Part, I’m guessing that to the enthusiasts here it would be worth more than that. Here are the details-

- 1989 Accord LXi Coupe with MANUAL transmission

- 197,453 miles before the flood. Engine running reliably before the event, have not opened the block since the flood to clean the engine. Will most likely need a complete teardown and cleaning, plus some replaced electrical components.

- Green (respray close to original color but slightly darker) with tan cloth interior

- Clean body with only one dent in the passenger side rear quarter panel where the previous owner (college girl) decided to kick it while in a tiff with her father. (At least that is what the seller said, and the dent seems to match). Slightly droopy front bumper. No rust on the body or frame, some holes in the exhaust.

- Before the flood, the headlight motors both worked perfectly, with no issues, the water in the engine bay caused them to open and I did not manually close them.

- Working 5th Gear with a spare full replacement 5th gear set and a second spare gear (wasn’t able to get a two full sets) from two junk yard donors

- Nearly every broken bit on the inside I had replaced to have all the components be clean and unbroken. The only thing that isn’t in good shape are the sills beneath the rear side windows (years of sun damage) and the passenger side door pocket has a crack in it.

- I have some spare headlight buckets, a spare steering wheel, and a new replacement set of CV axles that were waiting to be installed before the flood.

After the flood removed the battery and moved it to a dry location and then proceeded to get as much water out as possible, and let it dry fully for three weeks (hot Atlanta sun helped that). I then proceeded to clean every visible surface, vacuum out every piece of cloth and carpet, and make sure there was no more water sitting anywhere.

All of the seats and carpet seem dry and there is no mold smell. With a decent shampoo they can probably be saved. The floor carpet is stained, but half of the staining was there when I bought the car. All the interior bits should be useful, the electronic bits are always questionable after the flood.

I only had a few issues before the flood in the engine compartment. They were a leaky power steering unit (hadn’t located the slow leak, but always worked if I kept it filled), valve cover gasket leak (slow), A/C needed charging, a pinhole leak in a coolant line that I temporarily fixed on the side of the road and hadn’t fixed properly before the flood.

When I bought the car about 17,000 miles ago I replaced the fuel pump, starter, and all the components related to spark (basically a good service). It has decent tires on it with half tread (or more) left. It needed an oil change and coolant flush before the flood.

If you are in need of parts or a whole donor car then this would be a good deal. Feel free to make an offer that seems fair, or make offers for parts that are needed. I am not in too much of a hurry to get rid of it and would like it to be used by people that care to see it live on in other cars (or as a rebuild project).

I’ll follow up with photos below to show the condition as it sits now (took current photos on 7/23/2017 after the cleanup) and a couple to show the flooding.

Feel free to contact me here or at my email Joshuamunchow (at) Gmail . com

Also - here is a link to a Craigslist add with the photos and a similar rundown. https://atlanta.craigslist.org/atl/cto/6250531833.html