PDA

View Full Version : clutch on its way out😢 OEM swap options?

89accord_guy
08-10-2017, 07:41 PM
as the title suggests, the clutch on my 89 lxi/sei is going out. maybe 2 days max left on it. i have a heavy clutch foot and do a lot of engine-braking. i don't race it, really. i shift before 3k and get nearly 400 miles between fill-ups. id like to go lightened steel flywheel with a bigger Honda oem or equivalent clutch. the only real requirements are :
1.) flywheel must fit original 5sp a20a3 bellhousing; hopefully the starter will engage😲
2.) the clutch disk has to fit the input shaft splines of the stock lxi 5 sp transmission
3.)the flywheel has to fit the a20a3 crankshaft.

that's about it.
what are y'all running for clutches? presently my excedy has nearly 40k miles of ridiculous abuse by way of my little brother ham fisting the poor thing and my 2 oldest learning how to drive stick.

id like to see if an integra or prelude pressure plate and disk would fit the OE flywheel;that way I can get the lightened steel flywheel situated for another date and get back on the road that much sooner.
labor is not a problem since i do my own service; just a pain in the ass since nobody pays me to work on my own cars. i work 2 jobs, too.
getting old sucks, kids⌚

Shane86
08-10-2017, 10:43 PM
I use spec clutch level 2+ it feels pretty good. There's many different brands to choose from depends on how much you want to spend

derolph
08-13-2017, 11:12 AM
I think the frequent downshifting for engine-braking is a bad habit because it contributes to clutch wear and it is unnecessary. The cost of replacing brake rotors and pads, over the life of car ownership, is substantially less than the cost of replacing a clutch. I'm not sure what "ham fisting" means but it does not sound good; sounds like keeping little brother out of your car would be a good thing.

I don't know what brand clutch I have. I have the invoice but it simply states "clutch kit"; no mention of brand. It was installed about 86K miles ago. I have no symptoms of clutch issues.

Shane86
08-13-2017, 10:38 PM
i think the frequent downshifting for engine-braking is a bad habit because it contributes to clutch wear and it is unnecessary. The cost of replacing brake rotors and pads, over the life of car ownership, is substantially less than the cost of replacing a clutch. I'm not sure what "ham fisting" means but it does not sound good; sounds like keeping little brother out of your car would be a good thing.

I don't know what brand clutch i have. I have the invoice but it simply states "clutch kit"; no mention of brand. It was installed about 86k miles ago. I have no symptoms of clutch issues.

x2

AWH
08-14-2017, 04:00 AM
I've been downshifting and enginebreaking all my life,(48..),and over a 100.000 km in my girlfriends Toyota Starlet,clutch is fine.Clutch itself is over 200.000 km.Too much rpm difference between gears while downshifting won't help a long clutchlife ofcourse. I like the control over the car and always being in the right rpmrange to be able to respond quickly to traffic situations.
Some people tend to keep their foot on the clutchpedal for a long time while driving,just pushing the clutch lightly,on a tight clutch that can make it slip just a little bit also,not helping it's lifetime ofcourse.

Auke.

Shane86
08-14-2017, 06:44 PM
I've been downshifting and enginebreaking all my life,(48..),and over a 100.000 km in my girlfriends Toyota Starlet,clutch is fine.Clutch itself is over 200.000 km.Too much rpm difference between gears while downshifting won't help a long clutchlife ofcourse. I like the control over the car and always being in the right rpmrange to be able to respond quickly to traffic situations.
Some people tend to keep their foot on the clutchpedal for a long time while driving,just pushing the clutch lightly,on a tight clutch that can make it slip just a little bit also,not helping it's lifetime ofcourse.

Auke.

Can you translate what ham fisting is?

AWH
08-15-2017, 09:48 PM
I'm not sure if you quoted the right person,but i can only imagine it's like really beating up the clutch. Literally like beating on a hanging porc with your fists...?:deadhorse:
Personally i like to take care of my stuff,and no one drive's my car but me :squint:

Shane86
08-16-2017, 01:30 AM
I'm not sure if you quoted the right person,but i can only imagine it's like really beating up the clutch. Literally like beating on a hanging porc with your fists...?:deadhorse:
Personally i like to take care of my stuff,and no one drive's my car but me :squint:

Lol thanks man that was great lmao