PDA

View Full Version : what is factory coating on rocker panels?

derolph
08-17-2017, 02:32 PM
I am anticipating repair of some holes in the rocker panel(s). My '88 Accord LX-i has a black coating on the rocker panels; it is not simply paint over metal. The panels have a slightly textured feel and look. If I do some patching, I'm wondering how to make the patched spots have the same texture as the OEM coating.

I guess it might be undercoating with paint over it.

gp02a0083
08-25-2017, 04:56 AM
I am anticipating repair of some holes in the rocker panel(s). My '88 Accord LX-i has a black coating on the rocker panels; it is not simply paint over metal. The panels have a slightly textured feel and look. If I do some patching, I'm wondering how to make the patched spots have the same texture as the OEM coating.

I guess it might be undercoating with paint over it.

yupp,
Honda used undercoating or more specifically, rocker shultz. Some cars got additional rust / corrosion protection but i forget the brand of that stuff, usually you saw extra rubber grommets in the door jam areas .
anyway as for repairs down the line, two products Iv'e used work well and don't require you going to a specific paint shop. first is rustoleum rocker coating / undercoat, this sprays thin, don't hammer wet coats on it or it will turn brown. The other stuff I've used is blue magic, sprays really thick, you will get it every where. trick is light coats to allow sufficient drying or it never cures at all. If you want to splurge on better materials I always suggest SEM products, pricy, but usually worth it.

as an idea for the repair, depending how extensive the repair has to be pulled back, you can mask a line down the whole rocker panel and use the thinner stuff like the rustoleum to coat the rocker panel. did this to my gold 87 hatch and you hardly noticed it.

derolph
08-25-2017, 05:58 AM
Thanks for your reply. It's very helpful.