PDA

View Full Version : 10w30 mobil1 or Honda MTF???

hondaisthebest
02-15-2003, 07:47 AM
Hello,
I would like to know what is the best choice for a 5 speed tranny???

10w30 mobil1 motor oil or Honda MTF???

I would like my tranny and clutch live very long...

shepherd79
02-15-2003, 08:06 AM
i use Castrol Syntec 10W30

OldSchoolSwap
02-15-2003, 08:51 AM
Honda MTF will always be the best lubrication for our trannies.
It has special gear lubrication that regular motor oil does not have.
I use to have Mobile1 synth in it, but i switched to Honda MTF after reading a big discussion about this topic in other forums.

So conclusion, go Hon. MTF. and be happy :)

Jareds 89 LX-i
02-15-2003, 09:22 AM
I just switched to Honda MTF several weeks ago, and it made a BIG difference. Much much smoother than before, so I'd say go with that. I'm really happy with it :super:

Jims 86LXI HB
02-15-2003, 10:59 AM
Originally posted by Jareds 89 LX-i
I just switched to Honda MTF several weeks ago, and it made a BIG difference. Much much smoother than before, so I'd say go with that. I'm really happy with it :super:

No kidding, what you just said and juan's info is really interesting. I went to the mobile one, didn't notice much differance. Of course I have no idea what was in the tranny to begin with. If I still had my car, I'd go out and put in the honda mtf right away, just because I'd want it to shift smoother.

BoredRec
02-15-2003, 11:27 AM
Here's the question you left out unanswered. Honda MTF comes in those quart bottles...how do you fill the tranny? My old job we just threw a bunch of quarts into a 5-gal jug with a pump and that worked great...but for the average backyard mechanic how did you accomplish this feat? I've tried a few methods, but nothing seemed to work well.

hondaisthebest
02-15-2003, 11:55 AM
I finally tried the mobil one today, i feel little improvement but nothing spectacular. Next time i will try the Honda mtf.

Boredec you just need a little tube no need to do it from below the car...

Einstein
02-16-2003, 07:52 AM
Originally posted by Jims 86LXI HB
No kidding, what you just said and juan's info is really interesting. I went to the mobile one, didn't notice much differance. Of course I have no idea what was in the tranny to begin with. If I still had my car, I'd go out and put in the honda mtf right away, just because I'd want it to shift smoother.

Here's what I use, got it at wal-mart:
shop.store.yahoo.com/rodi/mix2cycfuelm.html

Einstein
02-16-2003, 07:54 AM
Go with MTF. Motor oil has all kinds of non-lubricating additives that fight blow-by contamination in the engine. Totally unnecessary in a transmission, where you want pure lubrication and smooth shifting.

SYKO5150
02-28-2003, 02:36 AM
what about other gear oils like lucas and bnm

markmdz89hatch
02-28-2003, 06:46 AM
IMO Stay away from Lucas. I put that in my tranny b/c it had a bit of a slip, but within 1 week of that Lucas shit, the tranny shit the bed. Maybe it's a coincidence, but it's enough to tell me to stay away from it.

OldSchoolSwap
02-28-2003, 08:17 AM
Regular gear oils are way thicker. For some reason, honda trannies do not need such "thick" oils to lubricate the tranny. You will notice that gear oil is thick like a milk shake and the Honda MTF is as smooth as engine oil.

I would never throw regular gear oil in any honda. So, lucas is not an option in my book yet, unless Honda sais its ok ;)

OldSchoolSwap
02-28-2003, 08:21 AM
Originally posted by BoredRec
Here's the question you left out unanswered. Honda MTF comes in those quart bottles...how do you fill the tranny? My old job we just threw a bunch of quarts into a 5-gal jug with a pump and that worked great...but for the average backyard mechanic how did you accomplish this feat? I've tried a few methods, but nothing seemed to work well.
Get a long tube adaptor sold at any discount auto parts for about $3.00 and that will bolt right up to your quart.
This will extend all the way up to your tranny's oil plug without a single drip!
:)

89AccordLXI666
02-28-2003, 09:18 AM
Hmmm seems a little difficult.... can anyone post a pic or a "How-To" cuz I'm not absolutly sure what your trying to tell me here.... Did u mean buy a tube and put one end to where the bolt is to the tranny and then the other end u bring up by the engine bay and then pour the Honda Gear lube stuff into it and thats it???? Sorry I just need it to be explained in better detail, sorry if this sounds stupid, but I just wanna get the job right so I don't f**k anything up... Thanks for understanding.... Lataz

89AccordLXI666
02-28-2003, 09:20 AM
Also where can u buy the Honda MTF stuff? I never even saw it at any auto store, well tha's because I only saw different ones.... Also is this Honda tranny fluid stuff good for Both manual and auto tranny's? I have a 5 speed... Lataz

SiCReX
02-28-2003, 12:33 PM
yeah where do you get it, I think my tranny needs an oil change. its probably been at least 12 years. also, could someone point me to a link that shows where the plug and everything is, plz.

markmdz89hatch
02-28-2003, 01:05 PM
The easiest way that I've found to do this is to jack up the front passenger side of the car and take off the wheel. Then if you look at the upper part of the tranny toward the back you'll see the plug there clear as day. Just loosen the plug and that's where you'll fill the tranny.

You'll need 2 quarts of oil and that filler tube that Juan was talking about. You can get those at any auto parts store or even a walmart. All it is is just a 18" clear tube or hose with a fitting on one end that can screw directly onto the quart of oil.

Just connect the tube to the quart of oil and put the other end of the tube into the tranny. Now just squeeze the quart and fill that bitch up. You know it's full when it starts coming out of the tranny.

Put it all back together and you're done.

Another alternative to the tube is to get a diff. tool that you can find at any autoparts store. It's basically a giant syringe, you just put the end of the tube into the oil container and pull up on the plunger of the syringe and suck the oil up in to it, then inject it into the tranny that way.

SiCReX
02-28-2003, 01:36 PM
and the drain plug is on the bottom like the oil pan for the engine? I would go look for myself but it's raining :)

OldSchoolSwap
02-28-2003, 01:54 PM
Originally posted by 89AccordLXI666
Hmmm seems a little difficult.... can anyone post a pic or a "How-To" cuz I'm not absolutly sure what your trying to tell me here.... Did u mean buy a tube and put one end to where the bolt is to the tranny and then the other end u bring up by the engine bay and then pour the Honda Gear lube stuff into it and thats it???? Sorry I just need it to be explained in better detail, sorry if this sounds stupid, but I just wanna get the job right so I don't f**k anything up... Thanks for understanding.... Lataz

Here is the "how to" http://www.c-speedracing.com/howto/transfluid/transfluid.php

OldSchoolSwap
02-28-2003, 01:57 PM
Honda MTF can only be purchased at Honda that i know of.

MTF = Manual Transmission fluid
ATF = Automatic Transmision fluid

Both made by honda for your specific application.

johnwc723
02-28-2003, 05:37 PM
yeah, i just replaced my tranmission oil, and i used Valvoline Maxlife 10w-30

was this a wise choice?

also i read in my chilton book that you have to have the car level on the ground before you add the oil (after you drained it) or it wont get up to the right level, i didnt do this (i hadnt seen the manual when i did it)

has anyone else had experience withi this issue (did i screw up my car)?

SiCReX
03-01-2003, 12:12 AM
yeah it makes sense... you dont change your motor oil while your car is up on ramps, haha.

BoredRec
03-01-2003, 10:07 AM
Originally posted by johnwc723
yeah, i just replaced my tranmission oil, and i used Valvoline Maxlife 10w-30

was this a wise choice?

also i read in my chilton book that you have to have the car level on the ground before you add the oil (after you drained it) or it wont get up to the right level, i didnt do this (i hadnt seen the manual when i did it)

has anyone else had experience withi this issue (did i screw up my car)?

Just recheck the level on flat ground. Open the fill hole, if fluid (even the tiniest bit) leaks out, yer ok. If not, add some more till it does.

Einstein
03-01-2003, 12:08 PM
Originally posted by hondaisthebest
Hello,
I would like to know what is the best choice for a 5 speed tranny???

10w30 mobil1 motor oil or Honda MTF???

I have to laugh at this question being asked by a person with that forum name!

89AccordLXI666
03-01-2003, 09:31 PM
Ok guy's thanks for the help......Thanks for Clearing that up for me a little better, hope I wasn't too much trouble to ask, but as soon as it stops snowing around here in Mass (New England) I will give that a shot.... Thanks guy's 4 the support... U guy's are #1 in my good list... :-) Lataz

meohmy01
06-22-2003, 06:46 PM
ok i'm just reading this post now because i have come across the same problem. how expensive is honda mtf and how much does a tranny take?

88LXi68
06-22-2003, 08:35 PM
not sure on the price, but the 5spd takes 2 quarts.

Jareds 89 LX-i
06-22-2003, 10:22 PM
It was around $4.50 or so per quart when I bought it. It takes just a hair over 2 quarts, I think it was 2.3 or 2.4 for a fluid change and 2.6 for a new tranny.