PDA

View Full Version : 1987 Accord DX oil burn on startup

iballew
08-20-2017, 02:43 PM
I recently purchased a 1987 Accord DX auto. The car only has 122,000 miles and runs like a top. It came with a stack of maintenance records dating back to when the car was fairly new which I thought was pretty cool. I recently repaired a leaky heater hose and changed the tranny fluid (Shifts are noticeably smoother). Anyway, I noticed a bit of a misfire and a small amount of white smoke coming from the exhaust on startup when the car is cold. It clears up after about 10-20 seconds. Also, the valve cover gasket is leaking (not sure if that's related). Any advice on what I should check/replace? I was thinking about adding in some marvel mystery oil next oil change. Thanks.

derolph
08-22-2017, 06:54 AM
I did a search on white smoke coming from the exhaust. According to https://www.2carpros.com/articles/white-smoke-or-steam-coming-from-the-exhaust-pipe, white smoke can be an indication coolant is seeping into the combustion chambers. Perhaps close monitoring of levels of engine oil and coolant for some time will reveal some clues about this.

I have no experience with Marvel Mystery Oil (MMO). Reviews at https://www.walmart.com/ip/Marvel-MM14R-Mystery-Oil-1-Gallon/16767858 seem very positive overall. And, I see comments there about using MMO in both the crankcase and as a fuel additive.

I've been using Valvoline MaxLife Synthetic Blend motor oil in my '88 Accord and I believe it may have helped reduce engine oil leaks due to additives that help seals. But, of course, no engine oil or additive is going to fix a head gasket that is allowing coolant to seep into to combustion chambers.

InAccordance
08-23-2017, 07:28 PM
Stay away from oil additives. Most of them are just super thick oil that only hides the real problem and buys time. Eventually you'll have to deal with the problem.
White smoke does indeed indicate coolant getting into the combustion chamber. Most common culprit is the head gasket.
Someone correct me if I am wrong, but coolant doesn't run through the FI intake other than the idle air control valve.
On a carb intake it does.

Check your coolant and see if you have oil in it.