PDA

View Full Version : My engine bay... **EVERYONE beware**

87DXHatch
02-15-2003, 12:38 PM
My unbelievably dirty/crappy/bad engine bay. This is the worst part of my car, by far.

Can anyone tell me things that seem like they are wrong, or need fixed, that you can tell by looking at it? Thanks.

http://images.cardomain.com/installs/277000-277999/277765_47_full.jpg
http://images.cardomain.com/installs/277000-277999/277765_48_full.jpg
http://images.cardomain.com/installs/277000-277999/277765_49_full.jpg
http://images.cardomain.com/installs/277000-277999/277765_50_full.jpg
Gotta love those leaky injectors! :D

It was like 5° out when I installed that amp power wire. There was no way in hell I was going to be able to install my 0-guage, so I had to go buy the $20 schosche kit from Wal-mart and quickly ghetto it in to get some power to my amp.

Coroncho80
02-15-2003, 12:44 PM
Jesus Crist! you need to clean that ASAP! I think I see cancer there too. I know its like 5 degrees outside and it will be pointless to clean it right now. But please! when it gets a little bit warmer, clean that biachhhhhhhhhh! :D

87DXHatch
02-15-2003, 12:46 PM
Imagine that... Coroncho on the first reply... :D

I plan on cleaning it, but the crap on there is like REALLY ON THERE HARD. You can see by the "H" on the engine in the last pic where I scratched some with my finger nails... and the stuff is on there hard.

Would covering the couple things that need covered, and then turning the high-pressure washer on the engine bay get rid of some of the crap in there?

goldyaccord
02-15-2003, 07:50 PM
Some....

But, you need that greeen stuff. and spray on the Dirty stuff. (you gots lots of spraying to do)

Cover up the distributor/intake/fuel areas for the most part. and areas that have a cap on it.

Then Spray, then hose down. I did that and it cleaned up my engine real good just before my car broke down. (There were oil everywhere!!!)

Vanilla Sky
02-15-2003, 08:21 PM
one thing i would say is get rid of as much clutter as possible... i wou ld at least scrap the intake for a short ram... that's just for space and it don't look as bad... another thing is trash out all the unnecesary brackets throughout the engine bay... it'll probably surprise you with what can go... all of that is more for makin the bay look clean, not for performance

netfreak
02-15-2003, 10:46 PM
Hahaha sorry that's worse than my engine bay, and I have my intake pipes half missing! Looks like someone also didn't use a funnel to fill the oil.

Jareds 89 LX-i
02-15-2003, 11:20 PM
Man o man....that thing is FILTHY!! Fix those damn injectors before it gets char-broiled to a crisp too, those look really bad! :eek: haha

Tip: Simple green, a scrub brush, a toothbrush, and a hose can work wonders.

Here's a good example to follow (it's mine! :D ). Nice and squeaky clean...I couldn't settle for anything else (I can't stand dirty engines, lol)
http://members.fortunecity.com/89accordlxi/underhood4.JPG

87DXHatch
02-15-2003, 11:42 PM
Originally posted by netfreak
Looks like someone also didn't use a funnel to fill the oil.

ok, this is for everyone, just to set things straight:

I've only had this car for a few months, so any of this shit is the result of the carelessness of the dumb-fuck who previously owned it. There was shit spilled all over the interior too... he was a huge slob.

I've changed the oil twice so far and I've used a funnel both times, getting NO oil anywhere but in the crank case.

Nice engine bay Jared... I just want summer sooosososos bad so I can start fixing all the crap that's wrong with my car... suspension overhaul, engine bay cleaning, minor rust repair...

loco87
02-15-2003, 11:52 PM
very professional installation of the power wire. MECP-type stuff

AccordEpicenter
02-16-2003, 12:26 AM
lol yeah thats ghetto... you gotta be careful ive seen kids create tons of sparks with ghetto wiring especially when its ran thru the door or somwhere else it shouldnt be

87DXHatch
02-16-2003, 07:38 PM
That's what fuses are for ;) but I wired it in a "smart" way, it's not getting pinched by anything, and it's not going to fray. But it was cold as hell (and still is) and 0-gauge in this weather is like a giant metal pole... it was hard to install in 70° weather, I'm not about to do it in 5°

iloveJDMblackrims69
02-17-2003, 12:07 PM
u should organize your wiring to your battery, turn your car on and put simple green and scrubb and wash it off, then take some "son of a gun" foam spray and spray it all over the engine and get a rag and wipe after about 5 minutes.............. it should look pretty clean after :)

89accordboi
02-18-2003, 09:09 AM
everyone point and laugh :flip: :lol :flip: :lol

SiR
02-18-2003, 09:09 AM
If your going to clean the engine with the car hot, just have the engine warm, not full operating temp. Too hot will warp certain materials and crack them, not good.

87DXHatch
02-18-2003, 10:03 AM
everyone point and laugh

What?

If your going to clean the engine with the car hot, just have the engine warm, not full operating temp. Too hot will warp certain materials and crack them, not good.

Ahhh... thanks for the info... I really wouldn't want parts on my car to warp or crack :D

Scotts88WhiteLX-i
02-18-2003, 11:35 AM
oh my god!!!!!!!! what you got livin under there? that thing still runs!!!! An if it does it wont be for much longer unless ou clean it up a fix those injectors. look like an engine bay i see at junkyards.

smufguy
02-18-2003, 01:20 PM
ITs a disgrace to have a car like that. Here is a list of what i would do. It would take some time and engery, but its all worth it.

1. Take the intake manifold off.
2. Take out all the hoses and wires off
3. Take the altenator, pwr steerig pump off.
4. Take off the Compressor if it wont work. and all the ac lines
5. remove the emission control box and battery and everything electicral

6. All u would have left in the car is ur ENgine block and ur Tranny. Get some good load of Gunk Foaming Engine degreaser. let it stand for 10 mts, wire brush it and let it stand for 5 mintues.

7. Get the gas powered or electrical powered High pressure washer and spray away the SHIT. Hand clean the manifold and also clean the insides of it. And also clean off everything u have ripped out. then when the engine bay is a lil damp, wipe it by hand after spraying it with all purpose cleaner. This is because if u let the engine degreaser sit for a while and dry, it leaves White ass traces.

U wanna see how my engine bay looks like after my covnerion? take a look at this. here is what it looks like (http://89accord.netfirms.com/Gallery.htm)

u will see the before and after pictures.

Coroncho80
02-18-2003, 01:43 PM
Hey Smufguy, who is that ugly asian dude next to your car on the third picture? :D

J/K Bro :flip:

87DXHatch
02-18-2003, 03:00 PM
Smurfguy

THANK YOU! That was easily the best reply so far as far as telling me what to do about it. I will definitely look into doing all that you said, but it might (always is) be harder than it sounds like.

The only thing that has kept me from doing it yet, is that I bought it in the winter and it's still very wintery here, so I can't tackle it until at least spring, but probably summer when I don't need my car for a couple days.

87DXHatch
02-18-2003, 03:01 PM
How much crap could I replace when I have all that stuff out?

Mike89Accordcom
02-18-2003, 04:15 PM
Ya that is very dirty. Crazy how dirty engines can get. You need a major detail and a mechanic to look through it all thuroughly!

smufguy
02-18-2003, 04:28 PM
Well if u wanna replace, There is pretty much only one thing u can do and that is the intake. And other things are just fit for removal, like the compressor and bracket and the ac lines along with the vaporizer. U can also take out the cruize if u want to. IT takes like 5 minutes to put it back and clip on if u want to.

Maurice its my friend u sick bastard :flip: That asian kid is also studying ME but thinks the air from the intake is what goes to his Aircon. He is a dumnbfuck and i can agree on that one with you cause i explained to him like a million times and i even showed him my car during the process and he still does nto believe me.

Coroncho80
02-18-2003, 04:45 PM
Originally posted by smufguy

Maurice its my friend u sick bastard :flip:

:lol :lol :lol
:lol :lol
:lol

smufguy
02-18-2003, 06:16 PM
whats soo funny dude? :rolleyes:

87AccordsterLx
02-18-2003, 06:41 PM
I keep mine very clean as well....

http://www.ghalili.com/Nathan/Nate's%20Page/3gs/3gengine.jpg

Coroncho80
02-18-2003, 07:46 PM
Me too!

http://images.cardomain.com/installs/307000-307999/307946_11_full.jpg

Its kind of dirty there but don't mind it :D

87DXHatch
02-18-2003, 07:49 PM
Well what I meant by "replace" was OEM replacements, not removal or aftermarket, really.

I definitely plan on doing an intake, with the possibility of some DC sports headers later.

BOLINKXR-89LXI
02-18-2003, 08:31 PM
SOME PEOPLE NEVER LOOK UNDER THE HOOD OR CARE AS LONG AS IT RUNS MY BROTHER HAS A 96 INTGRA AND IT LOOKS LIKE SHIT HE TOLD ME HES NEVER CLEANED UNDER THE HOOD I JUST CANT LOOK AT IT. i CLEAN UNDER MY HOOD AT LEAST TWICE A YEAR

smufguy
02-19-2003, 08:29 AM
1. the only thing i can think of replacing are your O2 sensors if they are bad and also a good thing to replace if ur gonna hook up a A/F gauge.

2. OTher OEM things u can replace are your injectors if they are bad. But seems like u need them anyway. BUt be prepared to spend a fortune on that.

3.You can also replace your valve cover gasket and clean up the shit under the cover.

4. you might as well wanna drain the pwr steering fluid and replace it with a brand new fluid cause by the look of the car, its best worth it

5. I would also drain the coolent and totally change it to either the regular flurocent coolent or the 50/50 orange/pink coolent.