PDA

View Full Version : JDM Manual Transmission Swap

DemonicAngel
08-24-2017, 09:56 PM
Has anyone here done a JDM manual transmission swap?
If so, did you come across any issues?

I saw online that someone posted a JDM manual transmission for an 89 accord and purchased it.
Do i know for sure that it is indeed an 89 accord transmission? I can't say for sure, I just took his word for it.
There also weren't any markings on it to help me google a serial number.
However, it does look very similar except I noticed a few differences when I took off the USDM transmission on my car.

1. The USDM shift rod has a bolt that I can remove, whereas the JDM did not and I had to grind it down and punch it out. (Problem solved)
2. The USDM transmission has a speed sensor attached to it with a hole for the speedometer and 2 hoses. I was told these 2 hoses were for the power steering. Is this true?

The problem is that the JDM transmission only has a slot for the speedometer cable. That slot doesn't even have a slit cut into it for the clip of the speedometer so that it would stay in place. I'm not sure what to do about that. Also, it doesn't have the 2 holes for the hoses that is on the USDM speed sensor.
I'm pretty new to this so do I have to connect those 2 hoses? If not, what will happen? How would I keep the speedometer cable in place?
I also tried to remove this from the jdm transmission by undoing the bolt holding it in. There's also a spot where I could pry on it but it was on so tight that I chipped off part of the metal.
Perhaps someone has an idea how I can get it off?

Any help is appreciated. Thanks!
PS. I've already removed the broken transmission from the car.

Shane86
08-25-2017, 12:04 PM
Are you able to use parts from your old transmission? Can you post up some pictures so we can get some ideas of what's going on

DemonicAngel
08-27-2017, 08:02 AM
I realized I would need to swap out the transmission housing as the JDM one is quite different. Only 3 or so of the tranny bolts line up. The housing is shaped slightly different so all the other bolt don't line up at all even though both dowels are in place.

Swapping the tranny housings is unfortunately out of my scope and ability. Has anyone done a tranny housing swap that could offer some advice?

Shane86
08-27-2017, 08:43 PM
I realized I would need to swap out the transmission housing as the JDM one is quite different. Only 3 or so of the tranny bolts line up. The housing is shaped slightly different so all the other bolt don't line up at all even though both dowels are in place.

Swapping the tranny housings is unfortunately out of my scope and ability. Has anyone done a tranny housing swap that could offer some advice?

Are you sure you got the right honda transmission ?

carotman
08-29-2017, 05:04 AM
Maybe it was for a Civic.

Dr_Snooz
09-02-2017, 07:56 PM
Maybe it's a JDM B20 trans!

carotman
09-12-2017, 05:32 AM
Maybe it's a JDM B20 trans!
It would be nice but I bet it's from a Civic since there's no provision for the power steering variable assist on the speed sensor. This has to come from a car that has no power steering.

JJ'sAccord
09-15-2017, 07:04 AM

i might have a spare tranny if you cannot figure out a way around it... shipping will be expensive too... but youtube has tons of things about transmissions just gotta weed out the bad ones lol

Shane86
09-15-2017, 09:19 PM
I'm interested in what kind of transmission is that close of a fit:dunno:

DemonicAngel
09-24-2017, 10:05 PM
I ended up buying another transmission and have the car up and running. Thanks for the input but I still haven't figured out what tranny it is and which car it came off of. However, as one person said, maybe it's for a civic since it doesn't have a provision for the power steering variable assist on the speed sensor. I really don't know.

Shane86
09-27-2017, 08:22 AM
I ended up buying another transmission and have the car up and running. Thanks for the input but I still haven't figured out what tranny it is and which car it came off of. However, as one person said, maybe it's for a civic since it doesn't have a provision for the power steering variable assist on the speed sensor. I really don't know.

post some pictures of it