PDA

View Full Version : Custom kit idea (need feedback please)

YK86
02-15-2003, 02:42 PM
I e-mailed a local shop that has a good reputation for making custom fiberglass kits that actually fit good and are high quality and they responded by saying if I drop by the shop, we can work out a deal. Plus prices seem to be very affordable. What I was hoping to get them to do was create the following:
5th gen Accord Greddy style front bumper lip
5th gen Prelude Mugen style side skirts
Either a Xenon rear valance replica or some kind of lip that goes around the bottom.

The reason for these are lips would be universal on most 3rd gens so no need to worry about the different shape of the bumper lights and stuff like that. They are also conservative looking and like the CRX lips, most people like them. The side skirts are something they already sell but I would just modify a set and then get them to replicate that. Plus they only go along the rocker panel so it should make install very easy and no pieces that come up the fenders or rear wheel wells that make fitiment limited. If the distance of the rockers are the same for all 3rd gens, that makes it even better (does anyone know if they are??). For the rear, I wanted them to replicate my Xenon rear valance as mine has sort of warped a bit. I also think it's one of the better looking rears out of all the after market companies making kits for our cars. But a lip style maybe better to sort of match the front and makes shipping easier.

I will be able to get them in pieces as well so you don't have to buy a whole kit. Some feedback on this idea would be great. Prices I would estimate for a full kit would be somewhere around $350US (don't quote me though).

88 Accord DX
02-15-2003, 03:06 PM
a front lip, back lip, and side skirts for $350? im in. but i gotta see pics first.

88LXi68
02-15-2003, 03:12 PM
I am MOSTLY interested in the Greddy lip

89AccordLvr
02-15-2003, 03:16 PM
will the back lip fit on a hatchback

YK86
02-15-2003, 03:19 PM
I just got off the phone and if I get Monday off, I'll be heading in to see them. I may also get my CRX lip replicated. I'll try to take some pics if they have anything that looks remotely close to what I'm after butted up to the car to get you a better idea. Here's some pics of the Greddy lip and the Lude skirts.
http://www.modacar.com/Merchant2/honda/bumper_cover_files/accord_greddy_lip.jpg

86AccordLxi
02-15-2003, 03:28 PM
I really like the lip...i might be down for that, depending on price (and what other shit that i have to fix on my car).

Alex

YK86
02-15-2003, 03:37 PM
I forgot to mention that once they get a mould of my bumpers and rocker panel, they said they can use that to make other stuff if people wanted it so this will open the door for alot of different kits. But we need to go one step at a time so you'll have to be patient. These guys made a custom widemouth front bumper for a guy with a 2nd gen Prelude. Also, I am not sure if the HB bumpers are the same as the 2dr/4dr ones. Anyone know??

88LXi68
02-15-2003, 03:56 PM
http://www.tantrumracing.com/tr/members/images/chubbs/icon.jpg

Elijah
02-15-2003, 04:02 PM
what the hell I never saw that car before thats sweet.I would propily be down dont count me in forsure thow.

Zwaag
02-15-2003, 04:15 PM
I'd buy the kit, but I already got the 4th gen kit, so:flipa:

YK86
02-15-2003, 04:16 PM
I'm not siging anyone up right now or anything so don't worry. If things work out okay, this won't be a one time thing. You'll be able to order it whenever you want.

MrBen
02-15-2003, 04:52 PM
Tell them you've got a ton of business lined up for them with all the 3geez.com members. :)

89AccordNate
02-15-2003, 07:08 PM
Yep, im down with that. I would buy a front lip. It would elimate the hassle of making a crx lip and it would be seamless. I would recommend going for the crx lip first, then create the skirts, then the real valence. You can then make sure that everything fits together nicely going from front to back.

The crx lip is nice because it doesnt limit the drivibility to much on our cars.

Nate.

guaynabo89
02-15-2003, 07:35 PM
The back bumper is shorter on the hatchbacks. The sides are the same length as the sedans and coupes.

Micah 89LXi
02-15-2003, 11:29 PM
VERY VERY interested in the lip..hell probably the whole kit..it would be really good for them to make other stuff for it too..actually the greddy lip would be cool also if they replicated your crx lip that would make everyones lives alot easier..no shortage of buyers there

netfreak
02-16-2003, 12:56 AM
I'd probably also be interested, especially at that price.

Mike's89AccordLX
02-16-2003, 01:09 AM
The pics look very nice. That would be a nice deal for $350.

Chrome_thangs
02-16-2003, 01:14 AM
I'm definately getting the sides and back, when they become available! Would we need to worry about the fiberglass lip cracking? Oh we;; at that price i'll take the chance

YK86
02-16-2003, 02:29 AM
Just as I thought, this is getting a great response. I was very excited as well when I got a hold of these guys. The price is affordable, finally some new style kits that fit our cars without modifiying, plus I'm helping out a local business while also making the guys here happy. We'll probably throw some numbers around for pricing and see where we are at for each part. And thanks for the info on the HB bumper.

original2k
02-16-2003, 07:47 AM
man if u can get it at that price, i'm down for the whole kit, u just can't beat it

Coroncho80
02-16-2003, 04:23 PM
I'm only interested on the Lip. Let us know ASAP! :D

bobafett
02-16-2003, 05:39 PM
i want to see some more pics of those lips on a 3g. but i think i might be down. i would certainly be interested in some sideskirts.. if they look "right" on a 3g.

also that white car, does it have the 86-87 style bumper, or the 88-89sedean style? because i like how the late model bumpers dont jet underneath like my hatch... a lip would look better on that style than on my hatch bumper

DarknessRS
02-17-2003, 01:08 AM
I'm in. Front chin spoiler would be great since I love subtle stuff like that much more than those full kits.

Coroncho80
02-17-2003, 03:46 AM
So, you guys are saying that a 94-95 Accord Greddy Front Lip WILL fit pefectly on our cars????

YK86
02-17-2003, 05:44 AM
No, it will need modification. My brother has a 5th gen but the lines are a bit different.

Site
02-17-2003, 07:36 AM
I'm interested in the full kit. Great price!

Mike's89AccordLX
02-17-2003, 08:49 AM
Oh I was under the impression this company was going to mod them to fit our cars. I guess I would have to find out how much modding would be needed. I have a full plate right now so I don't want to take on too much stuff at once.

YK86
02-17-2003, 02:38 PM
No no, I am saying that a real Greddy 5th gen lip will need modification to fit. The kits I am trying to make will need no modification because they are made to fit our cars like stock.

Mike's89AccordLX
02-17-2003, 02:45 PM
Well I would be interested in the kits that are made for our car. So I'll started another mod savings up again.

3rd GEN
02-20-2003, 01:08 AM
ohh ya bro.. i'm deffinately down..
let me know too..
i've always wanted to get a kit eventually for mine..but we have only had the Xenon kit available.. but now that this opens up a whole new world for us... thats sweet!!!!!
good work Yasu!!

isadisa
02-20-2003, 12:29 PM
I'd be interested in the whole kit, so I'm looking forward to see how this turns out!

Neuspeed007
03-06-2003, 05:13 PM
definatly count me in on this.

meohmy01
03-06-2003, 06:51 PM
i definatley don't like that lip. it just doesn't fit with the lines of the bumper. in my opinion i don't even think it looks good on the 5th gen. on my 5th gen i decided to go the route of black widow. looks hot.

accord86
03-06-2003, 09:39 PM
BODY STLES FROM 86-89 DONT CHANGE DO THEY?

YK86
03-06-2003, 09:53 PM
Originally posted by meohmy01
i definatley don't like that lip. it just doesn't fit with the lines of the bumper. in my opinion i don't even think it looks good on the 5th gen. on my 5th gen i decided to go the route of black widow. looks hot.

That's nice. But I am trying to get something made that will fit all 3rd gen Accord bumpers regardless of the year and body and a lip style is the only way to do that. This lip will be made to fit the car so it will be a bit more square but still keep the original look of the Greddy.

3G Jester
03-06-2003, 10:08 PM
some one do some photoshop hacking..i wannna see em on the 3g :)

meohmy01
03-07-2003, 04:25 PM
if it had a lip that went over the botom of the bumper it would look beter. because on that pic of the 3 gee that you showed that lip stuck out. you could tell it wasn't made for the car.

chronicsinners
03-10-2003, 06:02 AM
Originally posted by DarknessRS
I'm in. Front chin spoiler would be great since I love subtle stuff like that much more than those full kits.

i agree but i think that lip is anything but subtle, it seems to be a. too large for the bumper, b. doesnt match the ground lines around the whole car, it hangs down too much in proportion to the rest of the car. and c. doesnt fit (without modification).

maybe i would have to see it in person, but at this point im not sold. In my quest for a front lip last year i was about to go home and order that greddy lip, and then on the sidewalk i found a front bumper to an 88 legend and took the lip off that instead. I havent looked back since.

Also is the lip fiberglass, becuase of how low it sits and the fiberglass aspect it is very precarious, and fragile

franks89sir
03-10-2003, 08:06 PM
COUNT ME IN I THINK TS BAD ASS IT WILL JUST BE ONE MORE MODE TO PUT ON THE ACCORD

original2k
03-11-2003, 11:09 AM
when is every1 gonna realize........HE'S GETTING THEM MADE TO FIT OUR CARS!!!!!!, the reason it doesn't fit without modifications is BECAUSE HE'S NOT SELLING US MODIFIED ONE'S OF THE ORIGINALS....man the guy has to say the same thing over and over again, those pics are just what the originals look like on their respective cars, YK86 is getting them custom made from the ground up built around the 3rd gen body/lines, in other words, we won't know what it looks like till we get a pic, i'm really not trying to be an ass but yasu keeps telling u this and your like ignoring it.

guaynabo89
03-11-2003, 08:19 PM
Originally posted by original2k
when is every1 gonna realize........HE'S GETTING THEM MADE TO FIT OUR CARS!!!!!!, the reason it doesn't fit without modifications is BECAUSE HE'S NOT SELLING US MODIFIED ONE'S OF THE ORIGINALS....man the guy has to say the same thing over and over again, those pics are just what the originals look like on their respective cars, YK86 is getting them custom made from the ground up built around the 3rd gen body/lines, in other words, we won't know what it looks like till we get a pic, i'm really not trying to be an ass but yasu keeps telling u this and your like ignoring it.

Exactly!

Some people:rolleyes:

whatdahieu
03-13-2003, 07:32 AM
hey count me in my email is [email protected] and let me know if they are willing to do a new bumper for the hatches.:)

RaceFreak21
03-13-2003, 06:04 PM
ya im in too.. hit me at [email protected]

Badboy2005
03-15-2003, 09:42 PM
Im definetly interested in the whole kit... but i have one question are they going to do the whole shipping thing or am i going to have to go and pick it up?