PDA

View Full Version : Introduction: Buing a 1987 Accord LX Sedan Today

novws
08-29-2017, 03:08 PM
Hi, all, I'm fulfilling a longtime goal of buying a third gen Accord this evening.

It's a gold 87 LX sedan with a 5-speed manual. The odometer says 72k miles and I think I believe it's accurate because I can't find any rust -- even in the rear fenders -- and the interior is nearly perfect.

It's not all rosy though: reverse doesn't work and the carburetor needs attention.

I'll post some pics when I have the car, but definitely welcome any suggestions about the transmission and the carburetor any of you may have.

I am looking into a Weber conversion, but I'm a bit skeptical after reading a bunch of posts about the 32/36 to get it and the linkage set up correctly. I also had a 32/36 on an old BMW that never really worked that great and I eventually replaced it with a 38 DGES that was much better (and faster). But that's an entirely different car ... and I digress. ...

novws
08-29-2017, 04:07 PM
Update: the car is here and I'm able to grab reverse! Planning to change the trans fluid ASAP.

Shane86
08-29-2017, 05:15 PM
Welcome post pictures when you can we would love to see them

novws
08-29-2017, 07:52 PM
http://i63.tinypic.com/30ifedv.jpg

Headed to my girlfriend's house tonight, but snapped one pic before I left:

InAccordance
08-31-2017, 08:23 PM
You jerks and finding 5-speed 4 door models :rant:

Linkage isnt hard to setup, I've got an automatic running with a weber. Shifts ok but wants to shift out of 1st too early so I manually shift it once it hits 2nd.

novws
09-02-2017, 10:04 AM
Welcome post pictures when you can we would love to see them
Thanks!

novws
09-02-2017, 10:06 AM
You jerks and finding 5-speed 4 door models :rant:

Linkage isnt hard to setup, I've got an automatic running with a weber. Shifts ok but wants to shift out of 1st too early so I manually shift it once it hits 2nd.

Bwahahahahaha

Thanks for the feedback on the Weber. Any weird smells or flat spots?

novws
09-02-2017, 10:09 AM
I want to keep this car period correct and on 13" wheels.

Found these Prelude wheels for $50 and picked them up this morning.

http://i63.tinypic.com/9isleb.jpg

Anyone have Toyo Extensas in 185/70/13? What are your impressions? Any other tires in this size worth considering?

Dr_Snooz
09-02-2017, 07:36 PM
Glad you were able to fulfill your dream. The car looks great too. Have fun fixing it up.

novws
09-11-2017, 05:15 PM
My hands were busted up pretty badly in a mountain bike accident a couple of weeks ago so I can't really do much work on the car myself right now.

But that doesn't mean some progress can't be made.

Took the Accord to the dealer on Saturday for an oil and filter change, and a transmission fluid change.

And took it to Walmart tonight and had some tires mounted on the Prelude wheels.

http://i68.tinypic.com/md38ft.jpg

InAccordance
10-06-2017, 09:15 PM
Bwahahahahaha

Thanks for the feedback on the Weber. Any weird smells or flat spots?

If you get it runed just right you wont have flat spots. I have one spot when opening the secondary too hard where it drops for half a second but that is me needed to get the double pump accelerator jet. Still running the single.
Mine does smell a little when riding it hard but I also have it tuned a little rich. Plus, I enjoy the smell :rockon:

novws
11-05-2017, 07:32 PM
Nothing really new to report.

I’ve put 2k miles on the Accord since I purchased it. I love it. It’s really fun to toss around while still being super comfortable. It’s slow (98hp at sea level is not 98hp at 6,000 feet above), but it runs great and pulls strongly. It’s a great “slow-car-fast” kind of thing.

The only real negative: it barely idles. It will die after 10-15 sec. I’ve been doing some trouble shooting, but so far unsuccessfully. If I can’t figure it out by the end of the year, it will go to a local shop that works on older Japanese carbureted cars.

Also on the to-do list: find a brown glove box (anyone have one?) to replace my broken one, find some rear splash guards (anyone have some or know of any non-OEM that fit well?), and do something with the stereo; it seems to have a bad ground—but maybe lots of other badness too as it’s 30 years old.

InAccordance
11-05-2017, 08:08 PM
I was actually planning on taking the mudflaps off mine.
They are in fair condition, front are in the worst shape. I'll get some pictures sometime this week if you're interested.

novws
11-06-2017, 10:08 AM
I was actually planning on taking the mudflaps off mine.
They are in fair condition, front are in the worst shape. I'll get some pictures sometime this week if you're interested.

Thanks!! That would be awesome. Definitely interested.

bldir
04-10-2018, 07:24 AM
I am going to guess that I bought novws's car. I live in Colorado Springs and thats my car. I am still in need of a glovebox! I could also really use some pictures of a Weber converted a20. Its crazy that a dream car of mine was let go by a guy who also viewed it to be a dream car. I am in the process of picking up where he left off. The car is incredibly clean and I have cleaned it more. If someone could post some good pictures of the carb I will have it running very soon... I did break the radiator taking it out. It was due for a replacement though! AC was original to the car and still had the R12 in it! WOW!

InAccordance
04-10-2018, 10:07 AM
Only ones I have atm, I'll try to get more when I remember.
https://i.imgur.com/MH9qDOA.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/CP4BSVM.jpg

bldir
07-11-2018, 06:04 PM
I got the swap done and it runs great with way more power. I cannot figure out an easy way to idle up when I engage my ac. I deleted my egr entirely.