PDA

View Full Version : New Honda who dis

myogi
09-05-2017, 01:55 PM
Hey Guys,

Just bought a 1986 Honda Accord LXi on Sunday. Painted and interior is stripped and replacement parts are on their way. The car is HAGGARD. I drove it back 50 miles got it into my driveway and the radiator exploded (hoses didnt blow, cap didnt blow, the radiator exploded). Oh F#cking well, Radiator is on its way. The electrical in the car is 100% not functioning which is what im looking to fix right away.

This car is BAAAEEEE, ive never loved a car more than this and it runs like a turd. A20A3, crappy auto trans. Looking for a 5spd in Minnesota right now and thinking of turbo options because I want to keep this car true to its roots and not b swap it. Hope you guys like it. Hate on the fake @ss takumi paint job if you want but this is MY car and its what I wanted. California car so its not killed by Minnesota yet. Named Myogi because she was the character that cheated on Takumi and I feel that its hater status deserves it.

Gonna be hella active on the forum and join the family!

Dr_Snooz
09-05-2017, 04:14 PM
Let me guess, what came out of the radiator was a nice mixture of rust and water? That happens from lack of maintenance. The whole mess goes along just fine for about 15 years with no maintenance of any kind, then everything explodes simultaneously. It's not a bad idea to check all the hoses while you're at it. There are about 15,000 of them and are located in the most difficult spots. They have probably never been changed, so you should now. If you don't, they'll remind you... If you miss one, it will remind you. If you get them all, then the water pump will crap out. It took me a couple years to get my cooling system reliable after the explosion. Good times!

Welcome to the board!

myogi
09-05-2017, 08:06 PM
Spot on my man! It had green coolant in it but red water! So freaking weird. Im gonna send water through and flush before I give my baby good coolant and new radiator. Im gonna wire the fans to a switch and a relay and get an aftermarket temp gauge and baby it. I want to turbo the stock A20A3 so I want to make sure shes happy.

Im so excited! I have an E46 and a 08 Lancer but this is my favorite car by far already.

Shane86
09-05-2017, 08:46 PM
Welcome. I want to turbo mine too

AWH
09-06-2017, 09:44 AM
I would advice what Snooze said. My radiator also had just brown crap in it,and the inside of the hoses was all clogged up with residu,really rustlike. When it comes loose it will go all through your system and cause all sorts of problems. Just get it right one time.
Nice car though,hope you will realize all your plans.
Shane86 is all busy with his car too,maybe he can help you out from time to time.

Auke.

myogi
09-06-2017, 07:12 PM
Helllll yeah, parts come in tomorrow and im gonna call into work and go to grind town on her.

derolph
09-08-2017, 07:44 AM
Let me guess, what came out of the radiator was a nice mixture of rust and water? That happens from lack of maintenance. The whole mess goes along just fine for about 15 years with no maintenance of any kind, then everything explodes simultaneously. It's not a bad idea to check all the hoses while you're at it. There are about 15,000 of them and are located in the most difficult spots. They have probably never been changed, so you should now. If you don't, they'll remind you... If you miss one, it will remind you. If you get them all, then the water pump will crap out. It took me a couple years to get my cooling system reliable after the explosion. Good times!
Sounds very much like my experience with my Accord. And, since OEM shaped hoses are not available, you have to just buy pieces of generic/straight hose and work with it to make it fit.

Shane86
09-10-2017, 12:22 AM
You got a lot of research to do before thinking about dropping a turbo inn. Check out the forced induction section and the Custom Fabrication section