PDA

View Full Version : Shes Dead Jim

myogi
09-05-2017, 02:02 PM
Hey Guys,

Just joined today, picked up an 86 LXi Sunday. I read a bit so I did some searching for the purist members who hate on new posts. I drove the car back, alternator is DEF dead. It was strong enough to stay running but nothing else can be powered. So from what i've seen the LXi was the hella nice Accord in the day and power everything! Hooray and damn in the same breath. Every piece of electrical aside from the lights are DOA. I have a new alternator coming and from what i've read it seems to the be source of most issues but I want to get this out there for any more learned members and see what the feedback is.

Everything doesn't work, windows, locks, mirrors, cruise, everything on the dash, tach, gauges. The speedo works because its physical is what im guessing. I have to work two jobs tonight but I will be going through all of the fuses and replacing the ground wire because the current one was intact but it looked crappy. Any feedback on the entire system being dead would be very much appreciated. When I have time tonight ill do a deeper dive in the forum because it sounds like a common issue but I figured the extent of the failure was so wide spread it might be something bigger.

Love the car, love the forum. Ill use my resources but I would love to hear feedback on my specific issue. Im sourcing a 5 spd for the car and looking at turbo options soon here but Ive dropped over 700 in the last two days on it so im gonna sit back and chill for a bit :D

Doesnt run right now the radiator exploded in my driveway. Radiator, Alternator, Plug wires and drop springs arrive next week.

INB4 THE HATE ON THE COROLLA PAINT JOB. MY CAR MY PAINT :D

Dr_Snooz
09-05-2017, 04:07 PM
Sounds like you got a project there. You're definitely on the right track looking at the ground wires. There are 3 of them as I recall. It's also possible that you have a carb alternator on there right now. In that case, the white power wire that runs from the alternator to the underhood fuse box could be MIA. It basically powers everything, so make sure that your alt has 4 wires coming off it and that the heavy white wire runs over to the underhood fuse box.

Good luck.

myogi
09-05-2017, 08:07 PM
Your easily my favorite member of the forums already! Im gonna run through the system tomorrow and the parts I need get here Thursday so im hyped. She might even make it to the car meet Friday night.