PDA

View Full Version : "Build" Thread - 1989 Honda Accord LX-i

Alexi3rdgen
09-10-2017, 07:09 AM
Hi all,

I'm finally back in the 3rd Gen seat (well, almost) after nearly a decade without. I recently purchased a 1989 Honda Accord LX-i with 107k miles, manual transmission, and very little rust. There is some body work to do after a 16 year old driver. Sadly the, "it just needs a CV joint," was, "the carrier bearings on the transmission are failing." It's in the shop for the second time, after replacing the injectors, some other bearing, etc. So, it's already doubled it's purchase price before I get to drive it 600 miles. In any case, I'd like to make this into a, "what should've been," for the USDM Accords for 1989. I'll be adding a NOS fog light set, factory CD player, (if anyone has a nice original 1989 LX-i radio they want to part with, let me know, I could even trade for the aftermarket one that was installed in my car). I don't plan to change too much about the original mechanicals, no engine swap or turbo, but if I could ever find a rear disc brake conversion, I'd totally do that. I would like to find a factory spoiler, and then have the car done in a two tone paint, maybe with some stock looking under belt like graphics. If anyone has a take on what kind of paint would look nice, I'm open to options. I think I'll be keeping the original white color below the belt line, but was thinking about a Maroon, Graphite Gray, or Black for above the belt line, and maybe adding a thick accent pinstripe at the point where the black line meets the upper color, a la Prelude SI style from the mid-80s. Wheels will stay stock, unless I upgrade to the optional rims shown below.

Shane86
09-10-2017, 07:46 AM
Welcome back I like the graphite gray color myself:lol:

Alexi3rdgen
09-10-2017, 02:20 PM
I was trying to decide if it would look strange to have a metallic paint, along with gloss white, but it seems that many manufacturers in the 80s did that.

tof
09-12-2017, 08:53 AM
Very nice sedan. Interior is a tribute to the quality of materials Honda used in the 80s.