PDA

View Full Version : 1988 Accord LXI Timing

wheelhorse2347
09-21-2017, 07:30 AM
Greetings,

So, had the distributor blow up on me the other day finally. I've known it was going for a while, but kept putting it off. Anyway, an unexpected $200 later and the distributor is installed, and car is running. I had to time 'by ear' to get it to my clubhouse where there is a timing light.

I followed the instructions, pulled and plugged the vacuum lines and checked the timing marks. The timing seems to constantly waver quite a bit, to the point where you can't actually time the car. I'm going to try a different light (his was internal battery powered) and see if I have the same issues. What could be causing that? New distributor makes me wonder if the timing belt is going . It already has 150k+ miles on it. Either way, right now I have to drive it so it's set to the 'by ear'
method, but I prefer things to be right.

Oldblueaccord
09-21-2017, 07:08 PM
Pop the top timing belt cover and look at the belt. The timing marks should be pretty steady other wise.

wheelhorse2347
09-26-2017, 03:13 AM
Pop the top timing belt cover and look at the belt. The timing marks should be pretty steady other wise.

Good idea. I'll pop it off at lunch and post a picture . I imagine that belt might show a little extra wear due to the bearings in the distributor being toast. Hopefully its just the timing light though. Winter is coming and this one's my daily driver. Timing belt would have to be done in an afternoon and ready to go.

Oldblueaccord
09-27-2017, 03:16 PM
Getting the lower pulley off is usually the snag.

Dr_Snooz
10-02-2017, 07:48 PM
I'd definitely replace that belt first thing. The timing mark will move around somewhat. This is mechanically controlled spark, after all. Beyond that, you could have old wires, or a bad coil causing your issues.