PDA

View Full Version : DIY Lower Control Arms

chuck5104
09-26-2017, 11:55 AM
I was installing prothane bushings in my rear lower control arms and rather than reusing the old bushing sleeves, I saw an opportunity for a quick fab project and I never turn down the chance to break out the Hobart. I just took some measurements and used the steel sleeves that come with the prothane kit and some square steel tubing and made a set of arms that the bushings will slip right in to. I coped the square Tubes with a hole saw for a nice tight fit. Here is everything staged together so you have an idea of what's going on.

This is how I kept everything from moving around and shimmed up the square tube to sit evenly in the center of the sleeves.
Here they are all tacked together.
And here is a pair all welded together with bushings installed.
I know there isn't any huge advantage here, but like I said, any chance to bring out the welder! Makes bushing swap a breeze if these poly bushings ever fail, though.

2ndGenGuy
10-05-2017, 11:10 AM
Nice work! Always cool to see some fab work going on here.

Shane86
10-06-2017, 01:21 PM
I was installing prothane bushings in my rear lower control arms and rather than reusing the old bushing sleeves, I saw an opportunity for a quick fab project and I never turn down the chance to break out the Hobart. I just took some measurements and used the steel sleeves that come with the prothane kit and some square steel tubing and made a set of arms that the bushings will slip right in to. I coped the square Tubes with a hole saw for a nice tight fit. Here is everything staged together so you have an idea of what's going on.

This is how I kept everything from moving around and shimmed up the square tube to sit evenly in the center of the sleeves.
Here they are all tacked together.
And here is a pair all welded together with bushings installed.
I know there isn't any huge advantage here, but like I said, any chance to bring out the welder! Makes bushing swap a breeze if these poly bushings ever fail, though.

Nice work

Oldblueaccord
10-09-2017, 05:49 PM
Not doubting your work but welded anything in suspension parts is not usually a good idea. Welded stainless steel parts even worse.... comment aimed at someone who sells this stuff.

chuck5104
10-09-2017, 06:52 PM
No worries, caution is always best. I'm not a pro by any stretch, but I've had a few years under the welding hood and put several thousands of miles on two wheeled vehicles of my own creation. I considered the stock construction of the arms and I believe what I have here is as strong if not stronger. I wouldn't do this for any ride but my own, I just like to see what other people are building and share my own projects from time to time. What's the story behind the stainless comment?

slithica
05-05-2018, 01:33 AM
I'm probably going to end up doing this. I cannot find stock rear lower control arms and mine were badly bent. They seem to bend pretty easily.

I used a second accord car I bought for parts and was able to get 4 rear lower ones that worked but I am worried about the future. I like this idea.

gp02a0083
05-12-2018, 04:22 AM
I'm probably going to end up doing this. I cannot find stock rear lower control arms and mine were badly bent. They seem to bend pretty easily.

I used a second accord car I bought for parts and was able to get 4 rear lower ones that worked but I am worried about the future. I like this idea.

I believe the stock lowers are in a sense made that way. The thought behind why they are made weaker is in case of an accident, IMO it would tend to save the rear sub-frame from damage. Kinda the reason I will not install the machined ones on my daily hatchback

No worries, caution is always best. I'm not a pro by any stretch, but I've had a few years under the welding hood and put several thousands of miles on two wheeled vehicles of my own creation. I considered the stock construction of the arms and I believe what I have here is as strong if not stronger. I wouldn't do this for any ride but my own, I just like to see what other people are building and share my own projects from time to time. What's the story behind the stainless comment?

not sure, but i know with my limited experience welding SS, gotta have the right gas and setup or the welds are junk. I've seen built suspension parts, good and bad, even more-so that you EXACTLY know what you are doing or just have it done professionally.

slithica
05-12-2018, 03:11 PM
I'm planning to do what he did but to use a solid iron bar and cut a line in it for bolts.

each control arm would be in two pieces joined by a few bolts in the middle to adjust length. That way I can actually have it aligned properly and the failure point would be the center. Stronger than original arms by a smidge but still bend before the subframe.

Besides, if the old ones bend and you cannot buy new, not much of an option. Gotta go with hand made.