PDA

View Full Version : Starter, torque converter damaged.

1989accordaz
10-03-2017, 05:35 PM
86 Accord LX, no start condition, engine doesn't turn.Starter spins. removed the starter and noticed the gear pinion was gone. I could see a tooth missing in the converter ring gear. Rotated the crankshaft and inspected the rest of the ring gear and found a total of 3 gear ring teeth missing. Don't have the time now to this project, so I took it shop so they could replace the torque converter, main rear seal, axle seals and every other gasket seal the could replace while the tranny is out as well as a transmission flush. Just for reference it will cost 1000k to do all if this. The starter pinion gear was split in half and dropped inside the converter housing.

Dr_Snooz
10-03-2017, 08:16 PM
Eek. What a mess. Did something happen or was it just old age? Hope you get it running soon.

1989accordaz
10-03-2017, 08:47 PM
Wear and tear of the ring gear on the converter side or just a malfunction on the starter pinion gear. The opinion is that one of the ring gear's tooth broke first then causing the starter gear to miss on the torque converter ring gear and got jammed and it was literally split in half. Should have the car up and running soon. Maybe time to invest in a transmission jack since I also own an 89 LX and still has the original tranny. One can always use more tools!