PDA

View Full Version : Dan and his 88 Accord

DanJDT
10-16-2017, 01:07 AM
Well I figure my 5th post should be in the introduction thread.

30 years old. Been through about 40 cars in my life time. Right now I have about 5 that I need to get repaired and sold. I like to fix one and keep it for 1 year and sell it after I have enjoyed it and worked out all the kinks.

I aquired a free 1988 Honda Accord from a former co worker. Actually. It was posted for free and they had been the first to claim it. I was after them. I got a text the next day saying they backed out and had moved the car closer to me. Score. So i took a spare battery and a chase car and went to get it. Keys under the seat like they said and all.

It was rough to start but i prime it 2 or 3 times and it seems to cure that issue (Assuming a pin hole leak or something with a return line flushing it out) It idled rough. But. I didnt care. Took off because traffic was lite at 830 in the morning in my town. I got her moving and it had a slight miss to it that went away in the higher RPMS (Needs cap, Rotor, plugs and wires, Number 1 wire detached but i jimmy rigged it to work for now. ). The front passenger tire needs replaced because it was vibrating like a broken tire belt but everything seemed to work as it should. The Brake light lit up and started to scare me because it was really dim ( I think its just low "ish" on fluid so didnt turn it on all the way) So I thought i was losing my alternator and power. So i turned off the heat and just focused on getting home. I started getting a bit chilly and decided to check it a bit. 5 miles from home is a long drive at 25 mph with stop and go. So I pulled up the E-Brake light and it fully illuminated. yay. i got my heater back. which was great because my drive side window had been busted out at some point. So I got it home. turned it off. it was idleing at maybe 3k. I was expecting it to diesel and it did. So i just shut it down in gear because its got the RPMs near 800 to 1000 rpms.

The next day i got to pressure wash the engine bay (To Help me trouble shoot leaks and etc) . I used a high pressure air hose to dry everything off a few minutes after i was done. Let it dry over night and hooked the battery up the next evening.

I am still having an issue with the starting process (Prime it a few times and it seems to cure it) It had bad gas in it and the plugs were near being fowled. I did my best to clean the plugs, cap and rotor because I dont plan on putting money into it until I get the title issue cleared up (The good news on that is that I got ahold of the original sellers and they told me they had found the title and will be getting it to me in the next few days.

I did notice a little oil in the distributor. Can i replace the O ring in that ? Not the external one. The internal one. If I end up liking it I might keep it This will be my 5th Accord and my 2nd 3rd Gen.

Shane86
10-16-2017, 03:03 PM
Welcome Yea you can change distributor o rings

DanJDT
10-17-2017, 02:24 AM
Best place to get them? I tried putting a new internal o ring in my DB and i couldnt find one that would fit. Almost like they knew if they make parts had to find they could make you buy new. hah

Shane86
10-17-2017, 05:39 AM
Best place to get them? I tried putting a new internal o ring in my DB and i couldnt find one that would fit. Almost like they knew if they make parts had to find they could make you buy new. hah

EBay $7

Honda#1
10-17-2017, 01:52 PM
Welcome!! That's one of the best things for free! And it runs.

DanJDT
10-17-2017, 10:08 PM
EBay $7

Nice! Thanks. I will check it out when I get to a computer that dont have that site blocked. haha.

DanJDT
10-17-2017, 10:10 PM
Welcome!! That's one of the best things for free! And it runs.

The crazy thing is... I got 2 free cars that week. haha. an 04 dodge stratus (Drove home, High idle. clogged heater core) and then this lil beauty.

Dr_Snooz
10-18-2017, 06:53 PM
Sounds like a fun adventure. Welcome!

DanJDT
10-23-2017, 12:20 AM
I am just waiting on someone with knowledge to help me track down my idle issue. I plan on pullin the distributor off and putting a new seal in it to keep the oil out. I am going to try to adjust the timing by ear.... I know. But I have had bad luck with timing lights.

Dr_Snooz
10-23-2017, 06:59 PM
Do some reading around the site. Those dizzies are nearly impossible to fix. You're better off getting a new Richporter unit. If you search long enough, you may find some old stock seals, but you'll still be stuck with an oil fouled crank sensor inside the distributor. Just swap it all out with a new one.