PDA

View Full Version : Need pictures of coupe with no headliner

Killian665
10-17-2017, 08:10 AM
I have a dealer added sunroof in my car and it's been nothing but trouble for a while now. It can't be repaired because this model of sunroof hasn't been offered for almost 15 years now so I'm wanting to delete it.

I need photos of a coupe preferably that has the headliner removed so I can see what kind of bracing the factory roof skin had so I can mimic it if possible.

DanJDT
10-17-2017, 10:13 PM
Going to be a lot of work to delete it. I recommend repairing it.

How is it leaking? Have you checked your drains? I know they sell the rubber grommet stuff that goes around the sun roof glass itself. Throw up some pictures of it. I am curious to see how it looks.

Killian665
10-18-2017, 10:18 AM
I can't repair it. The sunroof itself is broken, the lift arms are broken, the seal on the glass is ruined and can't be replaced separate from the glass. None of the parts are made. My only options are total replacement of the entire setup including wiring to a newer model or delete it.

It doesn't leak but the wind noise and rattling of the glass panel when I hit bumps is annoying. Not to mention it adds like 100lbs right on top of the car.

I'm aware of the costs for both and I'd rather not have one at all since both options are expensive. I have a local body shop that's very good with this kind of thing I've built a relationship with so cost isn't a huge concern as far as. I just need to see what kind of bracing, if any, they had from the factory so I can have it replicated.

Dr_Snooz
10-18-2017, 06:31 PM
Is it a sunroof (made of steel) or moonroof (made of glass)? If it's a sunroof and it doesn't work, then delete it. If it's a moonroof, well, sometimes it's nice to have the extra light in the cabin. Some people try to seal them with silicone, which is a really, really bad idea. Silicone is not UV resistant, and fails in a very short time. Worse, it seals to some surfaces (like glass) and you can't get it off no matter what, while barely adhering to other surfaces (like paint). When it fails, one side will peel off without any trouble, while the other side you'll have to chisel off bit by tiny bit with a putty knife and a solvent aggressive enough to loosen it, yet mild enough not to eat the paint off the car. (How do I know this????) Avoid silicone (especially that crap from GE) like the plague. Instead, use a marine grade sealant like 3M 5200 (which will be permanent) or 3M 4200.

I had my headliner off one time long ago and if I recollect correctly, there's isn't much bracing. Maybe enough to hold the dome light in and that's it. These cars were made before the federal mandates for air bags and safety cages were implemented. Honda made them light to get good mileage so there isn't much extra steel up there. There's likely a lot more bracing up there now than there would have been from the factory. The sunroof imposes a lot of additional force vectors that the Honda engineers didn't consider at design time, after all. Put another way, your car came with all the factory bracing, so either it's all still there, or you'll see primer stripes where they took it out. Good luck with the delete. How are you going to fix the headliner?

Killian665
10-20-2017, 12:30 PM
Yeah it's a full on sunroof installed by ASC in 1989. I wanted to have piece of metal welded in, welds ground, and painted. whole 9 yards.

As far as the headliner they completely removed it. A custom fabric headliner was made for it which is also falling down. So I was going to source a factory vinyl one from a wrecked coupe and just put it in.

Id really just like pictures of the factory set up of anyone has them. Mentioning the dome light, right now it's mounted to the sunroof cassette so I'd like to see what was there from the factory for it to hold on to.

DanJDT
10-20-2017, 10:07 PM
I am trying to hit the junk yard tomorrow. I will see what i can find out while I am there.

I just remember an episode of monster garage where they cut into the roof and the guy couldnt weld it back because the heat warped the metal. (Hence little tiny tack welds as you go)

Shane86
10-23-2017, 11:24 PM
I'll get you pictures tomorrow I believe there's possibly three braces that would be in the sunroof area

Killian665
10-24-2017, 10:26 AM
Awesome thanks.

Shane86
10-24-2017, 11:34 AM
Sorry about the crummy pictures ignore the custom red Iron roll cage lol. Mine's a 2 door hatchback but the first beans at 9 1/2 inch to the center the second ones at 21 1/2 Center of second beam.

Killian665
10-26-2017, 06:39 AM
Dang looks like mine was cut right along both of those braces. I'm no fabricator so I don't know what it would take to replicate it but I guess I'll just show them to the body shop guy.

Dr_Snooz
10-27-2017, 06:23 PM
Not trying to second guess you, but have you really thought this through? As it sits, the roof is braced with more metal than it had from the factory. I haven't seen it, but the existing bracing will likely provide good support for the roof panel you're going to weld in. Having someone pull out the old bracing to weld in new will not come free and once you cover it with a headliner, you'll never see the work that's up there. It's your car and you can do what you want, but I'll bet you can think of much cooler stuff to buy with the money you'd spend on this.

Killian665
10-31-2017, 11:29 AM
I just don't want the sunroof anymore and it's just a daily driver so this is really all I'll ever have planned for it. Whatever they need to do they'll do it. Whether it be totally redo the bracing, add in to what's there or nothing at all. I just needed pictures of how it's set up for worst case scenario.