PDA

View Full Version : Valve cover bolt broken.

1989accordaz
10-22-2017, 07:21 AM
The center bolt for then valve cover is broken, currently driving it.The smell of engine oil is coming through the vents. Will make trip to the yard and get one if possible. My question is though, am I lossing oil pressure by having that leak through the broken, missing bolt?

DanJDT
10-23-2017, 12:15 AM
I dont think you will lose oil pressure because its more of a vacuum / Positive pressure thing. I am not 100% sure on if the valve cover holds positive or negative air pressure. But sounds like its positive pressure and will be blowing the engine bay full of that oil smell.

I wont be offened if someone corrects me.

Dr_Snooz
10-23-2017, 07:00 PM
Oil pressure will be fine.

Shane86
10-23-2017, 11:14 PM
I dont think you will lose oil pressure because its more of a vacuum / Positive pressure thing. I am not 100% sure on if the valve cover holds positive or negative air pressure. But sounds like its positive pressure and will be blowing the engine bay full of that oil smell.

I wont be offened if someone corrects me.

I got one of those bolts if you need it

1989accordaz
10-24-2017, 05:13 AM
Thanks Shane86, but I went to the yard, which is on my way home, and I got all 3 of them studs, I'll install it this weekend as well as the valve cover gasket and grommets. Not sure if I will notice anything as far as performance. I have to agree that it may have some effect on vacuum, there is pressurized air escaping from that broken bolt. I'll report changes if any. At least the smell of oil will go away.

Thank you for the reply. If anybody needs an extra stud, let me know I got two spares.

Shane86
10-24-2017, 08:59 AM
Thanks Shane86, but I went to the yard, which is on my way home, and I got all 3 of them studs, I'll install it this weekend as well as the valve cover gasket and grommets. Not sure if I will notice anything as far as performance. I have to agree that it may have some effect on vacuum, there is pressurized air escaping from that broken bolt. I'll report changes if any. At least the smell of oil will go away.

Thank you for the reply. If anybody needs an extra stud, let me know I got two spares.

With the excess pressure when's the last time you change the PVC valve?

Dr_Snooz
10-24-2017, 08:53 PM
...or the rings... :eek:

1989accordaz
10-25-2017, 08:42 PM
I am replacing the pcv valve and the broken bolt Friday...Rings???🤤

Dr_Snooz
10-27-2017, 06:26 PM
As in lots of blowby.