PDA

View Full Version : Can't Get the Right Front Motor Mount

Killian665
10-22-2017, 05:52 PM
I ordered a front motor mount from Rockauto that they listed as fitting all carb and FI manual cars. I've now learned this has been an issue for us for a while because the carb mount actually sits higher than the FI mount.

I read that there's some random bracket you use with a GM trans mount instead but id really like to just buy a normal mount instead of cobbling one together.

Has anyone found a company that sells the proper one? DEA/MRC is wrong. I really don't care what brand at this point, anything is better than my busted one.

Dr_Snooz
10-23-2017, 07:23 PM
The old-fashioned way would be to take your old one to the parts store and match it up with a new one. I once had to ask for an "inner" dust seal before finally getting the outer seal I was looking for.

Is it just the stud length that's different? The pics on the site have noticeably different stud lengths. If so, you could simply run a die down the mount you have, add more threads and cut off the excess. Failing that, I'm reasonably confident that the "hydraulic" mount is the FI one.

I only recognize one of those Rock Auto brands, and it wasn't a very good one. There's a high likelihood you'll end up looking for a new mount again in a few years, so don't forget what you did to get the right one.

Killian665
10-23-2017, 07:41 PM
Yeah the main issue is no oem ones are avialable so I have to result to buying Chinese shit.

As far as the length of the stud I don't know but the immediately obvious difference is the overall height of the mount itself. The carb one has like an extra layer of rubber that the FI one does not it seems.

I'm going to go to Napa tomorrow and order both the pioneer ones that are listed on the site since they carry them and then just visually look at them.

Shane86
10-23-2017, 11:12 PM
I ordered a front motor mount from Rockauto that they listed as fitting all carb and FI manual cars. I've now learned this has been an issue for us for a while because the carb mount actually sits higher than the FI mount.

I read that there's some random bracket you use with a GM trans mount instead but id really like to just buy a normal mount instead of cobbling one together.

Has anyone found a company that sells the proper one? DEA/MRC is wrong. I really don't care what brand at this point, anything is better than my busted one.

You will not find a new front mount that will fit everyone will be too tall. Trust me I search for 10 years. You can get those motor mount adapter plates at Oddballadapters.Com and then I still had to use a half inch spacer

Killian665
10-24-2017, 04:55 AM
That's so stupid. I wonder why that is is. I'm running in to this type of problem a lot with this car. It's very annoying not being able to just buy parts.

Shane86
10-24-2017, 09:02 AM
That's so stupid. I wonder why that is is. I'm running in to this type of problem a lot with this car. It's very annoying not being able to just buy parts.

Yeah man I tried about 5 different brands. Even tried to order one from Honda directly that claim to be the replacement part number and surprise it was too tall

Killian665
10-24-2017, 09:21 AM
I ordered one from pioneer because they list two and this one appears to be the correct one in the photo. The other was visibly taller so I guess we'll see. Otherwise I contacted the oddball adapters guy and he said he had the parts but had to make me the spacer since mines fuel injected. I'll let y'all know if this one ends up working out but I doubt it.

Shane86
10-24-2017, 11:15 AM
I ordered one from pioneer because they list two and this one appears to be the correct one in the photo. The other was visibly taller so I guess we'll see. Otherwise I contacted the oddball adapters guy and he said he had the parts but had to make me the spacer since mines fuel injected. I'll let y'all know if this one ends up working out but I doubt it.

Yeah man let me know if you need a spacer I have one

Dr_Snooz
10-24-2017, 08:51 PM
That GM mount is looking a lot better.

AC439
10-25-2017, 12:37 PM
I have a 86LXi and needed the low profile mount (the carb front mounts are taller). There's a thread about using a rear mount for front. I have done this couple of months ago and its been fine. Not the right application but I baby my car so as not to put too much stress on the mounts. Until then, this is what I'm using - rear mount as front.

Killian665
10-25-2017, 12:50 PM
I beat the dog crap out of my car so I need the proper mount or the GM thing. I'll know on Friday if the next mount that's coming is correct.

AC439
10-25-2017, 01:32 PM
Good luck. I went through the same whole deal with incorrect mount and never able to get the right one therefore I'm using the rear mount at the front as an interim.