PDA

View Full Version : I think my injectors are leaking...

Longevity
05-26-2002, 01:54 AM
Well, 6 months ago during an oil change, I have been told by my mechanic that injector #2 and 3 are leaking externally. I didn't believe it at first so I check it myself and I see something (not sure if it is fuel) seeping near the base of the middle two injectors. He said something about it being dangerous and that it might catch fire. I been thinking about getting them replace right now. Do you guys think if it is better to replace all 4 injectors at once or just replace the leaky ones?

rocky2
05-26-2002, 06:25 AM
I would verify that substance 1st. Maybe get a cotton swab and swipe some up and smell it or see how flamable the swab is away from 3-g. I have had a injecter leaking internaly and you still can smell it even though it was inside intake. You could also hear it leak like a tire leaks air right after you shut engine down so check it real fast as soon as you shut it down.

smufguy
05-31-2002, 06:24 AM
its not the injectors that leak for the most part. Its the O-rings that go bad and cause the leak. The O-rings are pricy, but the injectors are freaking expensive. the injectors never mechanically or electronically go bad (for the most parts) they get clogged and u gotta flush it, not just add the fuel injector cleaner cause it messes it up even worse. Get new O-rings and try fixing it. If it does not work, then its probably your injector casing cracked or something (which i hope isnt). have fun and good luck

Longevity
06-05-2002, 10:24 PM
Sorry for taking so long to respond back to this thread. I've been busy with my other problem(tires&alignment). Anyway, I did that cotton swab test and the swab burn up pretty fast. So I need to get this fix ASAP. Do you think I can just get away by replacing just the o-ring and do a through injectors cleaning? Or do the entire injectors need to be replace? If the injectors need to be replace, should I replace just the leaky one or all 4? Also, how much should this cost too?

smufguy
06-06-2002, 02:59 PM
someone said that one single injector costs like $45. I dont know how far its true. If the place where ur gonna get the injector tested is gonna run tests on the injectors then u can pinpoint what is wrong. I am pretty new to the injectors as a whole. I can get u some injectors from the junkyard if u dont wanna spend much on them. :) . but i am pretty sure, the leaky injectors might be someone bangning on it like crazy, but usually they dont crack.

Longevity
06-07-2002, 12:37 AM
Thanks for the help dude, I really appreciate it. Well, I just got back from a shop and they gave me an estimate of $360(parts&labor) for replacing all four injectors. So what do you guys think, is the price too high?

smufguy
06-07-2002, 10:39 AM
did u get the pricing for juse one injector? I mean if the price of 4 injectors are not gonna exceed 360 bucks, u can do it on your own in your garage. This is only if the dude is not gonna flush your whole fuel system, but if he is gonna flush your fuel system and then replace the injectors. then i guess its worth investing. but do check out how much the price for the injectors are and if he is gonna flush your system before installing the new injectors.

1987HondaAccord
02-11-2003, 02:47 PM
Hey,

I just wanted to know if you had any progress on this project. I am suffering from the same type of problem. Just wondering how or if you fixed it.

AZmike
02-11-2003, 03:13 PM
The injectors leak at the seam between the plastic and metal parts. New o-rings, while costly, will not solve this problem. You need new injectors.

It's really pretty easy to change them out your self. You only need a 10mm socket with some extensions and a flat head screw driver. www.nopi.com has some remanned injectors (probably will work fine) for $26 each. If you have some free time, you might be able to find some in a car at a junkyard for even less. Just make sure there are no gasoline stains on the intake manifold. If you do get old ones new o-rings are probably a good idea.

Since new aftermarket injectors are around $75 each his estimate is reasonable.

Longevity
02-13-2003, 12:26 AM
Is your injector leaking internally or externally? It it's external, there is a chance it might catch on fire so be sure to carry a fire extingusher in your car at all time.:D

The o-ring cost almost as much as a new injector plus it will NOT stop the leaking so it would be silly to just replace the o-ring.
Since my injector #2 and #3 is leaking, I just order two from Nopi and have my local shop install them for me. If I remember correctly, they charge me about $35 for labor. So I just paid around $70 for two injector from Nopi and $35 for the labor. This still beats the original quote of $360 (like I'm going to pay it) I got. If you can do them yourself, then you can save even more money.

Good Luck.

johnwc723
05-11-2003, 08:29 AM
I had the exact same problem, i even tried putting epoxy all around the injectors in an attempt to try to fix them (temporarly)
it didnt work though

i actually bought factory referbished injectors from nopionline.com (IT IS GREAT!) and i think the injectors might have even been new because they didnt look like they had ever been used when i recieved them. all this only costed me about $110 for 4! of them and they included all the necessary o rings too!

that is definetly the route to go, now i dont smell freakin fuel in my car anymore!

DBMaster
05-11-2003, 09:03 AM
Yes, you are going to need to replace the injectors. You can get away with only replacing he ones that are leaking, but eventually they will all do the same. It just depends upon whether you have the money to replace all four now. The time span between replacing my first leaky injector and last was five years. If I had known where to get them for $40 each like I do now I would have replaced them all at once. I paid almost $100 for the first one back in 1996.

adams86lxi
05-27-2003, 01:45 PM
I think i have the same problem, I here a sound like a tire leaking from underneath my hood just after I turn the engine off and I didn't think it was a problem until i read here that it means i have leaky injectors. I also here a cliking noise from under the hood when the car is running. The cliking will start and then stop again. Is this another sign of leaky injectors?:(

smufguy
05-27-2003, 04:41 PM
when someone says they got leaky injectors, first noticable thing is wetness near the injectors and the manifold and then dirt build-up.

The hissing noice after u turn the car off could also be due to opening in the air intake system.

cliking noice could also be knocking. My 4th gen does that, so i gotta give it for a tune up.

adams86lxi
05-27-2003, 09:47 PM
Alright thanks!I will check the intake manifold for any wetness or dirt build up.:)

89cordlx
10-15-2003, 09:53 AM
I know it's been a long time sine anyone last posted on here, but I just noticed that when I press the wires above my injectors, fuel comes out, should I buy new injectors for that or what? it comes out from above the red part, where the rubber meets the metal. BTW they all do it so it's really odd to me

NXRacer
10-15-2003, 10:03 AM
sounds like you need to get new injector O rings....

Dustin Imports
10-15-2003, 10:48 AM
http://www.cruzinperformance.com/

he will clean, replace o-rings, and flow matched...

hes the best when it comes to injectors, and cheap.

Drew

Vinny
10-15-2003, 10:53 AM
Originally posted by 89cordlx
I just noticed that when I press the wires above my injectors, fuel comes out, should I buy new injectors for that or what?

Well Don't press on them. :D

HostileJava
10-15-2003, 11:01 AM
It's like your mother always told you, don't pick at your scabs! :lol

Vinny
10-15-2003, 11:22 AM
I don't think it'd be a big problem unless you plan on having someone push on them while your driving down the road

89cordlx
10-15-2003, 01:11 PM
thats kinda how I was thinkin Vinny, we'll see if I live next time I start my car hehe :)