PDA

View Full Version : My Redneck Sound System...

AC439
10-27-2017, 09:54 AM
I meant to share about my redneck sound system for a while. Finally got some pictures as below :-

I still have all 4 pioneer speakers at factory location. The head unit is a Pyle with L/R RCA preamp output. I usually rip music and play through the USB port.

Before the redneck mod with only 4 default speaker locations, the sound was ok, but weak on the bass side. I had the idea to adapt a small computer subwoofer for car use. One day I came across this little sub from a thrift store for $5 so I bought it. Then I feed the preamp out from the HU to the subwoofer via a L/R RCA to 3.5 m.m stereo cable. Since the sub uses 110v a.c., I went to Walmart and bought this inverter for $9, which gives a 110v output and a USB charging port (which I needed as well for charging cell phone). Then I built a panel and mounted it at the cassette tape location to monitor battery voltage as well as using a relay to power the cigarette port for the inverter when car is running. It will turn off power to inverter when car is shut off automatically. Other switches are for LED driving light (on/off) and voltmeter to switch between monitoring battery voltage vs LED driving light voltage. Inside, I built a voltage regulator to drop voltage for LED driving light (I found out 11v - 11.5 v is all I needed for that and won't burn out the LEDs).

Since I put the sub inside the cabin, I really don't need a big and powerful one like those put in the trunk. I also don't want to rattle my neighbor's windows. This little sub is just right and putting enough bass for the bottom end. I also added a pair of tweeters at the door close to the base of the A-pillar. The whole system sounds really good and full. When I crank it up, the whole system is really loud. My teenage sons saying now that I'm a badass dad (true that the music in my Accord is a lot louder then theirs)...

Cost:
Pyle from Amazon ~ $30
Used Sub $5
Tweeter pair from Amazon ~$10
Inverter $9
RCA to 3.5mm cable: Already have it from my parts bin

Dr_Snooz
10-27-2017, 06:10 PM
Badass dad indeed! Nice work!

AC439
10-28-2017, 09:42 AM
Thanks ! (For the badass part, I was like "Why not ?") LOL