PDA

View Full Version : B-swap discussion thread - Not your normal swap question!!!

Dr_Snooz
10-29-2017, 04:26 PM
Hi, I'm new here. What engines can I swap into my 3g to give me more power?

:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

Okay, seriously though...

(If this is TLDR, just jump to the bottom paragraph.)

As some of you know, my car has sat unused for a few years now needing a brake overhaul . When I restored it, I spent an obscene amount of time combing through junkyards looking for parts to recondition and reuse. That was fun and all, but I'm way, way over it now. Every time I think about the car, I just think about all the old parts in it that are going to fail, and I have no way to replace them because we have ZERO aftermarket support. So I find more rewarding things to do than fix the car.

I'm also thinking of all those cable car shows where they get an old muscle car, scoop out everything under the hood and replace it all with the latest and greatest. The idea has taken hold of my mind. When the time comes to restore my '86 crew cab, for instance, I'll simply call GM and order a brand new 600hp 502cu engine with matching Supermatic transmission. It will come complete with all controllers and harnesses so I can drop it in and drive.

That's not really possible with a 3g, but I'm thinking along those lines of yanking the old A20 and dropping in a VTEC B18, for example. The swap is more difficult, of course, but still possible. What I absolutely don't want, however, is to drop a fortune into this car and end up with no parts availability in 10 years. I'd rather just sell the car, with all the old parts, to someone who wants to deal with all that.

All that to ask: what's everyone's opinion on parts availability for, say, a B18C5 ('97-'01 Integra R engine) in 10 years? Will the aftermarket forget about those engines like they have about ours? If I do the swap, can I expect to keep getting parts for it? What's everyone's opinion? Driving this car is so much fun, but fixing it is not.

carotman
10-30-2017, 12:11 PM
The Vtec B series will never die. They are the "Smallblock" from Honda.

Shane86
10-30-2017, 02:37 PM
Hi, I'm new here. What engines can I swap into my 3g to give me more power?

:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

Okay, seriously though...

(If this is TLDR, just jump to the bottom paragraph.)

As some of you know, my car has sat unused for a few years now needing a brake overhaul . When I restored it, I spent an obscene amount of time combing through junkyards looking for parts to recondition and reuse. That was fun and all, but I'm way, way over it now. Every time I think about the car, I just think about all the old parts in it that are going to fail, and I have no way to replace them because we have ZERO aftermarket support. So I find more rewarding things to do than fix the car.

I'm also thinking of all those cable car shows where they get an old muscle car, scoop out everything under the hood and replace it all with the latest and greatest. The idea has taken hold of my mind. When the time comes to restore my '86 crew cab, for instance, I'll simply call GM and order a brand new 600hp 502cu engine with matching Supermatic transmission. It will come complete with all controllers and harnesses so I can drop it in and drive.

That's not really possible with a 3g, but I'm thinking along those lines of yanking the old A20 and dropping in a VTEC B18, for example. The swap is more difficult, of course, but still possible. What I absolutely don't want, however, is to drop a fortune into this car and end up with no parts availability in 10 years. I'd rather just sell the car, with all the old parts, to someone who wants to deal with all that.

All that to ask: what's everyone's opinion on parts availability for, say, a B18C5 ('97-'01 Integra R engine) in 10 years? Will the aftermarket forget about those engines like they have about ours? If I do the swap, can I expect to keep getting parts for it? What's everyone's opinion? Driving this car is so much fun, but fixing it is not.

No disrespect but A20a3 4life lol. But yeah man everything these days is K and b swaps pretty much. The question is is the frame the body worth putting another motor in and dropping that much money. Will they still have Parts 10 years from now of course you can get almost anything for the B Motors

2oodoor
12-06-2017, 03:39 PM
Here's a thought, GM 06-09 LS 4 v8 , compact, 303 HP bone stock, easily tuned for more, some successful swaps include a Integra, a Cavalier, so I know it's feesable!!!8696

Dr_Snooz
12-06-2017, 09:10 PM
OMG ROFL!!! I can't believe they squeezed all that under the hood of an RSX. :rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

Yeah, domestic cars have it easy. They complain when they can't find some obscure piece of trim for a '68 Fairlane or some ancient screwball car like that. They can get everything else brand new, plus a bunch of stuff to make everything state of the art. We are glad when we can find springs for ours. Good grief.

A18A
12-07-2017, 12:09 AM
k-series stuff is getting pretty cheap now days, still modern and come in a huge variety of vehicles if you want to look down that route. bit more work than swapping in a B though

Dr_Snooz
12-07-2017, 07:22 PM
Let me guess, no mounts available for that?

gp02a0083
12-08-2017, 09:28 AM
The Vtec B series will never die. They are the "Smallblock" from Honda.

I agree with this statement
however i get the impression as time goes on later model swaps could end up being more common place. Kinda like how there are various versions of the LS motor in the domestic market. people still use the older LS engines for beginner/budget builds then you got people using late model stuff like the LSX. I think that the B series stuff will follow a similar trend and still will be around in another decade, considering the aftermarket support that the B series in general has.

As far as it goes for our CA chassis, its boiling down to scavenging NOS parts that are becoming scarce, retrofitting late model parts like these swaps, or designing and fabricating your own. Sadly people these days do not have that kind of drive/mentality. Everyone wants magical bolt on parts that don't require thought, hence why I believe our cars never were or have been popular, as Snooz said lack of aftermarket. all depends if you wanna take the road less traveled.

Dr_Snooz
12-13-2017, 08:28 AM
k-series stuff is getting pretty cheap now days, still modern and come in a huge variety of vehicles if you want to look down that route. bit more work than swapping in a B though

Thank you for mentioning this. There's a lot of newer car technology for which I have zero interest: Bluetooth connectivity, drive-by-wire deathtraps, air bags that blow up in your face, fiddly iDrive nonsense. But there are some things I REALLY like: crank-fired ignition, individual coil-packs, direct injection, roller cams. The K-series pretty much checks all the boxes on my new technology wish list. I'll definitely be looking carefully at this option. Are there any drawbacks I should know about?

wroll9378
12-16-2017, 06:04 AM
Will everthing match up i have a 1991 b21A prelude 2.1 si wanting to swap it out with a 1998 accord 2.3 vetec f23A will the wireing harrnes work and do i have to change computer as well?

Sent from my Z852 using Tapatalk