PDA

View Full Version : 87 Accord Transmission (5th gear)

kak
02-16-2003, 10:23 PM
I've been working on my 87 Accord, and after my neighbor and I pulled the engine out of it I decided to take the inspection plate off and take a look at 5th gear. My mom had said it stopped working completely, so I figured it would be ripped to pieces.

Not so. 5th gear looks fine. There are no cracks or shavings around it at all. But the transmission won't engage into 5th gear.

We haven't taken the gear competely out, but is there any reason why the transmission shouldn't be engaging the gear since it looks absolutely fine (on the far side, at least)?

AccordEpicenter
02-16-2003, 11:03 PM
is the synchro gear shot? Somtimes those can make the tranny hard or impossible to shift into gears. If its not that it could be one of the shift forks or the rails they slide on but i bet its a gear.

88LXi/87CRXSi
02-17-2003, 12:55 AM
Couldn't see any visable damage to the gears till I removed my countershaft gear. The splines machined on the inside of the gear ground into dust. Only trace of it left was a gold colored sheen of dust of the top of the oil, when it was sitting in the drain pan, which later disappeared. Not much left at all.

-Steve

AccordEpicenter
02-18-2003, 11:01 AM
yikes id just get another tranny or get another gear depending on the cost, gears can be expensive