PDA

View Full Version : Speedometer Jumping

spaz
05-26-2002, 02:02 AM
Hi all,

I have an 89 Accord LXi, and ever since i got it about 7 months ago, the damn speedometer jumps all over the place. For instance if you're going 55 mph the speedometer would be jumping between 50 and 60 mph. I tried lubricating the speedometer with graphite lub. but this had no effect. Any help is appreciated!

spaz

ACCORD EX
05-26-2002, 05:14 AM
check your speedometer is plugged @ both its ends ! just push it again in ! , you can try greasing it up !
any way mine does that too between 20 > 30 mph that happened when i changed my cable to a non genuine one !
the genuine one is pretty expensive ! try the junk yard ! :D

MIKE

CARBurn
05-26-2002, 03:30 PM
Yeah go to the the junk yard to find one.
On mine, when i did an engine swap with an 86 BS (A20A1) engine i didn't push the cable in all the way and I made my speedometer go all over the place. I would check that to see if it is plugged in all the way. The is a clip on cable that keeps it in place, make sure that it is on there.
I have a 5spd and mine is located on the tranny towards the rear of the engine, I don't know if autos have the same location, so somebody correct me on this one.

1988starter
05-26-2002, 05:52 PM
I hate to sound stupid but what cable and what connections are you talking about.

CARBurn
05-26-2002, 08:21 PM
There is a cable that comes from the firewall down to the tranny for the speedometer. If it isn't plugged in right it makes the speedometer act up so you can't tell your speed (at least that's what happened when I hooked mine up).

A20A3Power
05-26-2002, 09:50 PM
my clip bounced out somehow on one wild tire spinning ride....so if i ever spun in the rain in first gear..the shaking would cause the cable to come outta the tranny..and the shit would just die and drop to zero..i hate that..but works wonders for long trips LOL:bandit: