PDA

View Full Version : Carb Intake - Cold air or Short ram LX - DX

89AccordLXI666
11-17-2002, 07:57 PM
Can I add a civic intake with a carb engine instead of Fuel Injected? Cuz my Accord LX 87 is carbed so I was wondering if that were possible... Lataz

staticpat
11-17-2002, 08:24 PM
a few people on here (me included) have found ways to make our own carbed intake. just search through some of the threads. it's very possible, but will be all custom work.

A20A1
11-17-2002, 10:31 PM
Well I just made another intake adapter for the keihin carb... it still isn't that nice cause I had to use 22 guage metal instead of 18 or 16.
Because the 22 guage is so thin, it's almost instantly vaporized by my welder so it took some time.

Anyways the only problem is you need a thick gasket of some kind to go inbetween the adapter and carb or else it won't seal good. Pics are on the way.

A20A1
11-17-2002, 10:35 PM
It has a 2.50" inlet. and gets slightly larger so it can even use a 3" intake pipe comfortably.

socal3rdgen
11-17-2002, 10:55 PM
hey that a good job. never cease to amaze me with your dedication

A20A1
11-17-2002, 11:52 PM
I spent little time grinding the welds... but it still turned out ok.
:flash:

shepherd79
11-18-2002, 05:17 AM
hey mike,
you don't you make a few of them and sell them here.
i would buy one for sure.

89AccordLXI666
11-18-2002, 07:08 AM
Damn sounds like alot of work... but it is great customising work you have done there.... I might attempt this task... is there n e 1 else who has made intake systems for a crabed accord, please feel free to post your idea's cuz i need suggestions... Thanks guy's lataz

staticpat
11-18-2002, 08:17 AM
thats awesome! have you hooked it up yet? is there a difference? what did you end up using for the gasket?

89AccordLXI666
11-18-2002, 08:53 AM
I haven't made one yet bro.... I was thinking of trying to do the same intake u made but from the looks of it, it looks tuff 2 make but it's a sweet intake system. I'd like to make one or put 1 on my carbed Accord and see if there is a difference.... If n e 1 has n e Idea's or has put or created an intake for there carbed Accords, please feel free to tell me where or how to make one, I need some Idea's as to how 2 build one... Thanks again guy's

Mantis88LX
11-18-2002, 01:55 PM
A20A1, if you decided to sell some of those im interested!

mindlos
11-18-2002, 03:27 PM
Where did you get that filter hooked to the breather pipe?

dXsquared
11-18-2002, 03:32 PM
i like it better with no air filter! it runs the best like that!

Travis

A20A1
11-18-2002, 05:31 PM
Originally posted by DXHATCHBACK
i like it better with no air filter! it runs the best like that!

Travis

True... I run my carb like that too... but filtered cold air should be better in the long run.

A20A1
11-18-2002, 07:20 PM
OMG... SHORT RAM IS LOUD AS FUCK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!.

I bought a civic intake and filter... I think it's APC... for like $80 :(

I cut the intake in half, andgled the pipe down toward the steering rack, installed the filter, stuck the smaller vacuum hose to the secondary venturi port and...

A20A1
11-18-2002, 07:22 PM
oh the filter is the open end kind.

BTW, Did I mention it was loud?

pics up soon... not to worry. :D

89AccordLXI666
11-19-2002, 04:45 PM
Cant you just connect an intake system tube to the tube that connects 2 the stock air filter and take the stock air filter out and just slap on a K&N cone filter to the intake??? I believe that would work right? I dunno, some one give me some Idea's if n e 1 has n e that would be great, thanks guy's Lataz

A20A1
11-19-2002, 04:54 PM
no that is a bad idea... the stock air box it too large to have a filter on the end... and if you don't use the stock filter you will suck it engine oil and hot dirty air from the preheater hose.

89AccordLXI666
11-19-2002, 05:38 PM
oh I c now... hey thanks mike for the warning... damn that would of sucked if that happened to my Accord, well soon to be getting Accord... LOL Hopefully I'm getting it on Thursday, I'm just getting my self prepaird for the 87 Accord LX 5 speed carbed, so I better understand the carbed engine.... Lataz Bro Peace

A20A1
11-19-2002, 11:25 PM
How does it look, eh?

A20A1
11-19-2002, 11:34 PM
Ahh... :eek:

A20A1
11-19-2002, 11:42 PM
1 more... :bow:

Mike's89AccordLX
11-20-2002, 07:42 AM
That looks sweet A20A1. I plan to get the adapter for the weber and just put on a short ram intake. Do you know what year of civic to get the intake from? I really want it to look nice. I have an off topic ? here. I've been re-doing this valve cover and it fell on the ground last night from about 4 feet up. I just found it on the floor this morning. Should I still use it? I didn't notice any damage though.

mindlos
11-20-2002, 08:54 AM
no that is a bad idea... the stock air box it too large to have a filter on the end... and if you don't use the stock filter you will suck it engine oil and hot dirty air from the preheater hose.

Barring the oil and hot dirty air, why would the airbox being large be a disadvantage? It also seems the opening to the piping is small too.

Caddy
11-20-2002, 09:50 AM
With a larger chamber, the air is isn't evenly distributed and circulates around the airbox making the intake moot. I think.

A20A1
11-20-2002, 11:22 AM
It's a bit smaller then I wanted... I couldn't get 3" pipe at the time so I used 2.50"

1.50" Secondary bore @ Throttle plate
1.25" Primary bore @ Throttle plate

so a 2.75" - 3.00" is the best bet.

As for the larger opening... when you go from a small area to a large area the air will slow down... but a if you have a slightly larger area then the intake opening it will help draw in air.

the intake is hardly a good idea for top end... a velocity stack would be better... but space is limited to those not willing to cut holes in the hood.

mindlos
11-20-2002, 01:09 PM
So convection in the big box = bad. Straight through = good! How did I miss that? Oh, Mike, I was actually pointing out another bad about the airbox rather than your setup.

BTW, your calculation is not quite straightforward but still put you in the clear. Assuming equal air flow and velocity at the bores total compared to the piping, low theshhold for restrictive air conduit I assume, you can add the cross sectional areas of the bore then use that total to find the minimum desireable pipe radius.

sqrt ( ( pi*1.25*1.25 + pi*1.5*1.5 ) / pi ) = 1.95"

Since the world aint a perfect place it will have to be higher so I would say you are good there at 2.5". Its also not worth the calculation anyway since you always want to overshoot. I'm just compulsive I guess.

Oh, restriction of air flow in a passage is related to the surface area to volume ratio, which decreases with radius/diameter so I guess bigger is always better until you reach some diminishing returns.

Oh shoot me now coz I'm wandering!!!

shepherd79
11-20-2002, 01:43 PM
mike what is the vacuum line goes from intake to the carb. what is that for?

A20A1
11-20-2002, 10:04 PM
It's another futile attempt to increase the vaccum at the venturi in the secondary barrel.

A20A1
11-20-2002, 10:14 PM
Oh some cool/Good stuff I did.

the large vacuum hose that comes with the intake... which is actually from a 1991-1993 Accord not a civic. Well i hooked that up to the large vacuum port on the left side of the intake manifold. and I ran it as far as I could towards the distributor... all that extra area inside the tube helped the vacuum advance out a bit. I also reworked the powervalve... and hooking both vacuum advance ports to manifold vacuum does increase the amount of advance... as POS CARB mentioned a few times before.... I never really notticed the difference untill now, even though I normally do have both hooked up.

shepherd79
11-21-2002, 05:14 AM
so what you are saying is you ran a bigger diameter vacuum line from each side of the manifold to the distributor? hmmm, i wonder why it maked so much diff.

Mantis88LX
11-30-2002, 07:34 PM
man that looks awesome A20A1, when are u gonna start selling the adaptors????? i neeed one!!!!!

does it help low end? and does it help more than flipped air lid

Tim Yoak
12-08-2002, 06:18 PM
One good place to hook up your intake is to use one of the vent openings on the underside of the front bumper they have a snap off grill.

89accordboi
12-17-2002, 02:34 PM
Originally posted by Mantis88LX
man that looks awesome A20A1, when are u gonna start selling the adaptors????? i neeed one!!!!!

does it help low end? and does it help more than flipped air lid

dude flipped lids barely help, i dont think i can tell a difference at all despite what i have heard, im not being negative or anything (to those who hate me) but i can hear a throatier sound at idle and high rpms. i cant feel any better acceleration though, but it does sound ok.

hondaman87
12-17-2002, 05:01 PM
open carb and automatic secondary rules

hondaman87
12-17-2002, 05:03 PM
hey 89accordlxi666 come by my house And i'll let you dive my car and you'll see how much pull ther is on that engine for being an bs1

89AccordLXI666
12-18-2002, 08:20 PM
Hey HondaMan87 I'll stop by your house, and take that Sweet Hatchback Accord of yours for a little test drive.... Guy's HondaMan87's ride is definitly insain, it's a sweet ride, and open carb does sound sick in his car, I've heard his car before and it sounds sick. Hey HondaMan87 we got a big project headed our way when I get that 87 Accord soon.... I'll let you know when I get it, so we can set a day to meet up and work on it. ahhh working on the 3rd Gens like the good old days huh HondaMan87.... :lol Lataz guy's :wave: and I want to give a big Thank you to my best friend HondaMan87, You rule Man! :bow:

A20A1
01-14-2003, 02:41 PM
I sometimes run without and intake or filter when I go to tracks

I'll make more adapters if it gets a good review from the person buying it from me :D

iloveJDMblackrims69
01-14-2003, 02:54 PM
LOOKS AWESOME im jealous

88accordlxcarb
01-14-2003, 06:24 PM
I might buy one if the price is right, and if it is not i will use your measurments to make my own! :tongue:

Jason

meanaccord
01-14-2003, 07:54 PM
when you take off the stock air cleaner, what do you do with all of your vaccum hoses?And your sensors, i have an already made intake but cant figure out what to do, and if my car is gonna run different

dXsquared
01-14-2003, 08:04 PM
MIKE!!! i need a box for a Weber... i have to make a WARM AIR INTAKE... the carb runs horriblw when its like -15celcius... its runs real rich and hesitates and shakes below 2400 RPM.... whats the prob? should i turn the idle mixture in? i get out of the car and i smell like GAS!

Travis

A20A1
01-14-2003, 10:24 PM
hmm. if you had heat resistant material... like that silvery stuff used for a turbo wrap. You could drape that over the top of the air filter to the sides of the intake manifold... that way the air would have to pass thru the base of the manifold up to the filter. Also it will trap in the heat.

A20A1
01-14-2003, 10:55 PM
Originally posted by meanaccord
when you take off the stock air cleaner, what do you do with all of your vaccum hoses?And your sensors, i have an already made intake but cant figure out what to do, and if my car is gonna run different

What were the vacuum hose numbers/lables that you have to remove to get the stock air box off?

I sort of forgot.

- 5/32" Vacuum Hose, Hot-air door control diaphragm #8
(Metal diaphragm that sits on the stock intake pipe)
*PLUG @ HARDLINE
**NOTE: THIS WAS PART OF A PRE-HEATING DEVICE.

- 5/32" Vacuum Hose #17
Upper Right Corner Near Brake Cylinder
*CONNECT TO NEW INTAKE

- ??15/32"?? Large Vacuum Hose #?
Upper Left Corner Near Charchol Canister
*CONNECT TO NEW INTAKE

- 5/32" Vacuum Hose, Air Bleed A #8
*PLUG @ HARDLINE

- 5/32" Vacuum Hose, Air Bleed B #33
*PLUG @ HARDLINE

- Air Suction Tube (Silencer)
**NOTE: SILENCER REDUCES OPERATING NOISE FROM THE AS-VALVE.

- 5/32" Vacuum Hose, Air Suction Valve #5
*PLUG @ HARDLINE
**NOTE: AS-VALVE MAY NEED TO BE ENABLED DURRING EMISSIONS TESTING.

- PCV System Filter Hose
**NOTE: REPLACE HOSE WITH AFTERMARKET PCV FILTER (Valve Cover Breather Filter)

Please copy and paste if you need to and fill in the "?" next to vacuum hose #.

meanaccord
01-19-2003, 11:47 PM
so would i be better to get an civic pipe and fix it that way, or get somebody to bend me some metal and make it cold air. And i am making my own intake adapter to run it. Is my intake going to e as loud as my friends which has cold air del sol?

A20A1
01-19-2003, 11:51 PM
the short rams will make a louder sound the the longer intakes... but you need the tube so the intake can resonate, which will make it sound louder.

socal3rdgen
01-19-2003, 11:59 PM
remember guys that these adapters are one of a kind and they do take time to make. so i would not even expect to pay anything less then 60-90 USD. its a20a1 call obviously, i also do not know the dynamics involved with such a task. but i do know that the time he takes out for doing this is also time he could be working making his normal pay.

shepherd79
01-20-2003, 04:25 AM
i don't even know if he is going to make them.
if he will, ha can charge as much a s he can.

Mantis88LX
01-22-2003, 12:23 PM
so A20A1, whats the news? gonna start selling em?

meanaccord
01-28-2003, 03:14 PM
I am piecing things together, today i got my fiter and should get the honda intake pipe sometime soon. Its 3 inches so is that big enough to make it loud and bring out peek performance.

meanaccord
01-28-2003, 07:28 PM
HEY MIKE, I NOTICED YOU HAD THE YELLOW RUBBER CONNECTORS ON YOUR INTAKE. WHERE COULD YOU GET THEM IN BLUE?

A20A1
01-28-2003, 09:25 PM
careful cause you won't really need any vacuum lines to the carb from the intake if you remove all the emissions stuff.
what i had in the pics was just a test and it didn't work.

Haolerot
01-29-2003, 12:12 PM
At checkers they have a 90-93 intake that has blue hoses. Its like $50 just for the intake........filter is about $30...........A20A1 if you would sell adapters i might be interested....

CarbedAccord
02-07-2003, 11:10 PM
A20A1, can you email me in someone detail how you pulled all that off? Where you bought the parts and all, [email protected]

Mantis88LX
02-17-2003, 10:25 AM
OK on the newer DX civics if you look at how the intake is setup it looks like we would use it on our carbs, or make it work. im gonna try it as soon as i get the cash.

check this here is a pic so you can better understand

http://www.automotiveforums.com/img.php?540410Engine2.jpg

Mantis88LX
02-17-2003, 10:26 AM
ok right click and copy and past to see the pic

Mantis88LX
02-17-2003, 10:48 AM
it looks like there would be a way

shepherd79
02-17-2003, 11:07 AM
what year civic are you talking about

Mantis88LX
02-17-2003, 11:12 AM
does the pic not work? u have to copy and past in the address bar

shepherd79
02-17-2003, 12:53 PM
it doesn't work,
oh wait it worked.

shepherd79
02-17-2003, 01:02 PM
the intake manifold won't work. the bolts not even close to what we have on our car.

A20A1
02-17-2003, 04:07 PM
Is he talking about a intake manifold or an intake.

shepherd79
02-17-2003, 05:16 PM
i don't know, i assumed manifold.
but if he is talking about intake itself than it may work. i checked with my friends CRX with the same engine and it may just work.

mindlos
02-17-2003, 07:09 PM
I'll take a look at my roomate's 91 civic tomorrow. I wish I had a digicam. Oh, I think Mantis is just talking about the intake box.

Mantis88LX
02-17-2003, 08:07 PM
yea intake box, please check on that for us man, thanx

mindlos
02-19-2003, 10:44 AM
Sorry guys, my roomate is always out like the prodigal son, except he has been leaving the gas guzzling Caddy due to gas hikes and took the civic. Hopefully by the weekend if not sooner.

_M

Mantis88LX
02-21-2003, 08:37 AM
dont forget man :)

mindlos
02-22-2003, 10:53 PM
:)

Right back at ya! Cept my roomate wasnt comfortable with me "removing" anything from the car in the presumptive "my car has been reliable all along" fashion. Never mind all the carbon deposits, unchanged air filters, unchanged oil, unchanged fuel filters, and all that garbage. Yes the car drives "okay" but it was just too hard for me to explain "the car does not have to do anything for you to tweak it and just because you touch it does not mean anything will break.

1) Da camera sucks tail pipes. I borrowed one from my dept at work and it turns out its only 1 megapixel. It just cannot do good small detail on any image size. Its possible it could be slightly better on the smaller images but I didnt take the time to get intimate with it.

2) Ma Joint (accord in the garage)

http://www.mindlos.com/~mandla/all.jpg

3) Engine compartment. Funny how the intake tube is right behind the radiator and right underneath the bonnet (hood). Hot ass air anyone? It also has to buy a train ticket before it gets to the throttle body.

http://www.mindlos.com/~mandla/enginebay.jpg

4) Cover removed. The housing (for what?) is made from thick hard plastic. Not that flexible at all. They are also blocking the airflow with that obtuse angled metal.

http://www.mindlos.com/~mandla/nocover.jpg

5) Right side view. The cover adds another 15mm (9/16'') on top of the housing.

http://www.mindlos.com/~mandla/rightview.jpg

5). Left view.

http://www.mindlos.com/~mandla/leftview.jpg

6). No mesh I tried to indicate the slope direction with the arrows. Note the hole size and relative bolt config.

http://www.mindlos.com/~mandla/sansmesh.jpg

7). Meshes. They indicate the difference in hole and mount configs. It also seems like the mount area is reinforced on the housing along with the bolt holes.

http://www.mindlos.com/~mandla/gauze.jpg

8). The cover. It is 15 mm (9/16'') high.

http://www.mindlos.com/~mandla/cover.jpg

9). For comparison. Note that the top of the cover mounting bolts are only 56 mm (2 1/4'') high

http://www.mindlos.com/~mandla/accordhousing.jpg

Commentary.
The measurements are as close as I could get without removing the housing. Certainly could be better. As far as feasibility is concerned I would say it is not impossible. Provided reinforcement has no metal insert then it would be easy to hot knife a circle to fit out carb. There are a couple things to contend with. The close wall on the back and the bump on the front. It still seems it would be possible to cut along the bump and shave it for the shield to fit flat (will be thin then) and not give leak. Some sort of gasket will be in order. In the order of Ghetto I can already think of tire inner tube sufficing. Of course I'm thinking that will be far enough from the engin heat. To ice the cake, if the housing can be had for $10 -$20 from the boneyard it would be worth it even just for experimentation. Tastey stuff. On that note, I have another project. I'm not responsible personal physical or emotional damage an any property loss that ensues due to this information. Let alone indigestion!

Edit: Another thing to consider is that the housing my be too high for our setup. The shown depths are internal wall. There is no telling how high the housing with the cover would be. If the back is a bitch then a straing shave that takes almost nothing at the front and a lot at the back would do. The lid would then be mounted with bolts and nuts since the threaded holes may not work anymore.

Have at it guys.

shepherd79
02-23-2003, 04:45 AM
yes, thank you for taking measurements for us. i think we can fit that box on our carb.
i am gonna go ahead and pick one up at the junk yard as soon as this snow melts.

A20A1
02-23-2003, 05:47 AM
Originally posted by mindlos

Edit: Another thing to consider is that the housing my be too high for our setup. The shown depths are internal wall. There is no telling how high the housing with the cover would be. If the back is a bitch then a straing shave that takes almost nothing at the front and a lot at the back would do. The lid would then be mounted with bolts and nuts since the threaded holes may not work anymore.

Have at it guys.

Well all the carb adapters I have made needed to be 2 1/4" high from the surface of the top hat, to properly clear the hood all the way round. I did a 2.5" one once and it hit on a hood support.

mindlos
02-23-2003, 11:50 AM
That will definitely need to be cut down on the height then. As to how much will be determined by how how flush the bottom inside is with the top hat.

One other thing, why the hell do they put these barriers that choke the air passage in these boxes? That obtuse angled metal leaves about 1-1.5 cm at the top and two little gaps on the bottom.

nos---->
02-24-2003, 03:40 PM
i just found one and a have made mods to the holes keep you all updated

mindlos
02-24-2003, 07:01 PM
Me gots one too. I got some pictures of partial progress. I have a sandisk thats borking at me coz it doesnt wanna read the compact flash. Anybody know where I can get 1cm thick rubber to straddle the top hat? I need to make a custom gasket to make it airtight.

mindlos
02-25-2003, 12:16 AM
Alright guys. Its not that bad on the height but it does touch the hood only after it has latched. Depends on whether your use the gasket from the other housing or not. I had some door trim laying around that I used as a gasket lining around the hole. Its very thin thus does not raise th housing much. I beveled the edges for it to fit nicely. It is easy to make it fit tight because you can shave the door trim on the inside for minor tweaks.

You will notice that the precut lateral direction is a little over our specification. Keep that in mind so you dont leave gaping holes when done. In the perpendicular direction you will venture slightly into the grove and the rising section. Do it bit by bit. You will also need to mind the raised float screw as it will interfere with how close you get to the edge without it preventing the housing from sitting on the carb neck. The hole being too close to the vertical wall will mess the mesh fitting yet too far will cause the housing to sit on the float screw.

In case you were wondering, I'm getting a cone filter first thing in the morning. I'm also going to strip and paint the lid. For now I have a fuel injected carburetor!!!

Housing with gasket removed

http://www.mindlos.com/~mandla/housing1.jpg
http://www.mindlos.com/~mandla/housing4.jpg

Increased hole and how it fits The hole is to size but small for adding a gasket. It also needs to move a little closer to the edge (top in this picture) to effectively clear the float screw and vent bump.

http://www.mindlos.com/~mandla/modding.jpg
http://www.mindlos.com/~mandla/fitting.jpg

Profiles

http://www.mindlos.com/~mandla/profile1.jpg
http://www.mindlos.com/~mandla/profile2.jpg

Wrap-up
Used door trim as a thin gasket. Had to make another ring to go between the mesh and the bottom since mesh hangs in the air. With the nuts tightened its not going anywhere.

http://www.mindlos.com/~mandla/finished1.jpg
http://www.mindlos.com/~mandla/finished2.jpg
http://www.mindlos.com/~mandla/finished3.jpg
http://www.mindlos.com/~mandla/finished4.jpg

shepherd79
02-25-2003, 04:17 AM
YES, finally.
i am gonna do this as soon as i can get my hands on one of those.
what did you use to drill out?

mindlos
02-25-2003, 08:55 AM
I have a black&decker wizard rotary tool. A puny copy of the dremel. It has a bit that has fine spiral teeth at the end of the shaft (1/4 section). The teeth cut sideways and the point is just flat. Also very good for minor adjustment and smoothing the plastic. For big cuts the plastic melts and wraps around the shaft so you have to remove it every now and then.

I think I will flatten the hood support right above the box so that it doesnt touch (dont wanna mess up the box). Sends some detectable low vibrations through the chassis at low rpm. I think a small section shouldnt hurt integrity right?

Mantis88LX
02-25-2003, 02:57 PM
HOLY SHIT!@!!@~@#!DSLADSK

IT WORKS!

now i need to go find me one, that is gonna look sweet when u get it all setup. can you attach a metal intake to the end?

how much was the box? the junkyard will probably try to rip me off. :( im gonna go see later

nos---->
02-25-2003, 03:20 PM
I have got mine on but the hood shakes and crap. I have got my 94 accord intake hooked up to it. I think it gave me like a 15 horse boost. nice find mindlos

shepherd79
02-25-2003, 05:45 PM
15HP boost. well, that tells me you don't know jack shit about cars.
no way, just adding this will give you 15HP, maybe if you are lucky 5Hp with real cold air intake.

88 Accord DX
02-25-2003, 05:56 PM
ok so what do i need to look for at the junkyard??? what year civic?? DX, LX, etc.???

mindlos
02-25-2003, 06:46 PM
A civic cold air intake works very well. You will have to chop off some from the filter side. I took off 4" (I'm not making it a rule of thumb here). There aint much room in there. If you other stuff removed you will fair better. Just a tip, get the clamp too at the boneyard if it is good otherwise you will have to buy one for the 2.5" side.

I got my box for $25. I offered $15 and they wouldnt go for it. The place I would have got it cheaper had the civic sitting on two cars and they said forget taking it down.

Ya, my hood touches the box after latching so it does not really interfere with the form and function. Dont put too much rubber at the hole so it doesnt sit higher than it needs to be. That hood brace is pretty tough I might just leave it alone and see how goes. I can tell tell the vibration when the rpms get very low at idle like with the fans going. Otherwise I cant tell at all. Definitely not when driving. YMMV.

To give credit where credit is due, Mantis took out the action item. I just followed up.

I dont know about those horse powers and I couldnt begin to tell you but from the way the car is accelerating it is much better. If you had a flipped lid is is still marginally better because you wont be picking up accumulationg hot air in the engine compartment.

mindlos
02-25-2003, 07:15 PM
My roomate's civic in that picture is a 91LX. From the junker it was a hatch. If that generation is all fuel injected then they should be like that.

I'll show a picture of the intake tomorrow.

A20A1
02-25-2003, 07:19 PM
Hehe that is truely an odd sight... I was wondering how you would deal with the float screw and the raised portion for the float bowl vent.

Do you think puting a heat gun to the intake and sort of press mold the intake to fit over the screw and vent would make it fit better?
..and well hopefully you cut off the fuel supply so you don't blow yourself up while doing it. :D

also replacing the 6mm studs with bolts could help cause you won't have that stopper keeping the brass grill from clamping down all the way.

Mantis88LX
02-25-2003, 07:30 PM
what all years use that same intake setup?

man i hope the junkyards have one tommrow!!!!

mindlos
02-25-2003, 08:08 PM
I think those civics got the "el cheapo" plastic throttle body. I did a price check before going to the junker. The honda dealer said that would be $500 so I kept explaining just that plastic housing....and he kept saying $500. Idiot.

I thought about a soldering iron but figured I might burn a hole. Got no heat gun and we brothers dont use hair dryers either. Since I cut my hole more towards the float screw in anticipation I only needed to carve a 1-2mm grove for the screw to slide by, it was still a tight fit. The wall in thinnwe down there too. For me its okay for the grill to hang because I would have had to cut it in order for the wall curving in not interfere. Its was easier to make another layer of a gasket.

88 Accord DX
02-26-2003, 09:39 AM
damn i dont have a drimmel tool or anything to cut it with. maybe i should go buy one.

88 Accord DX
02-26-2003, 09:45 AM
oh another question.
you have removed your vac lines. what about people that havent??? what will we have to do with the lines that go to the stock intake???

mindlos
02-26-2003, 10:47 AM
Try a hacksaw blade (not the hi-speed ones). Might not be easy to turn circles so try it out first on a part that you will remove before following a cut-out trace.

You will be able to tap hose #17 since there is a port for that. You could route air suction to the bigger port on the housing (I plugged that). Put a breather on the camcover. One of the air bleed valves is for the hot exhaust suction diagphram and that gets eliminated when you put a new intake. That leaves 1 or 2 more bleed valves (EGR vacuum??? manifold vacuum???) to be figured out. You may not need them but I can study that when I get home. I dont know how hard it would be to transplant them.

I think their purpose is to slowly let air in so that when there is no longer a vacuum signal from whatever souce like thermovalves the vacuum does not remain in the tubes, thus not letting the diagphrams move, since the tubes are airtight. You could disable the EGR unless you have emissions tests. I'll let you know what I see/find.

mindlos
02-26-2003, 12:33 PM
I got more pictures. Now I need a blue valve cover and also paint that box lid blue. How about some blue plug wires. I wish the MSD was blue. I plan to compliment this with a straight thru pipe instead of the catalytic convertor.

Whole view.

http://www.mindlos.com/~mandla/intake3.jpg

Close-up - The intake has a port with a capped grommet. The temp sensor fits tight in the grommet so it will not come out. There is another orifice for your pleasure. :D

http://www.mindlos.com/~mandla/intake7.jpg

Filter - there is some open spaces around the drive shaft for air to come in. I cut open old vacuum tubing and wrapped my brake lines even though the filter does not touch.

http://www.mindlos.com/~mandla/intake4.jpg

Float screw - that is close by a hairline. If you like you can hook up that port on the housing to the cam/valve cover if you dont have a breather filter like I do.

http://www.mindlos.com/~mandla/intake5.jpg

A20A1
02-26-2003, 12:57 PM
I thought the temp sensor was for the Hot air door... but you don't have that anymore...

mindlos
02-26-2003, 01:46 PM
Forget all that EGR stuff I said!! I guess you are right Mike. Toss that hook-up. Looking at the stock box, there are only 2 bleed valves, so that leaves only one to deal with. Lets walk through the connections and my brainstorming since I haven't had enough time to think about them (only unsure of 1):
Passenger side of long side (firewall) - to 1st bleed valve. What would plugging this on the tree do??? I think nothing detrimental...
Passenger side short edge - thicker tube connects to straight air in the housing. Therefore you can hook it (some hose and adaptation) to the intake pipe's extra port (mine's plugged)
Passenger side underneath - to the 2nd blead valve and hot exhaust diagphram. This we do not need anymore. Plug it on the manifold tree.
Driver side corner - #17 hose that connects to straight air. The civic housing has a port on the firewall side (mine's plugged)
Driver sider short edge - valve cover breather filter. Since you wont have this you can put a breather filter on the valve cover. If you hook the valve cover directly to the civic housing there wont be a filter and you risk getting oil in you carb on some rare cases. It will also make the port on the housing unavailable for an air suction connection.
Driver side inderneath - air suction. You can adapt the connection on the air suction to the civic housing port if you didnt use it for the valve cover breather. There may be loud bubbling sound without the silencer so maybe you want to adapt from the silencer to the civic housing. Or just disable air suction
If I missed any please add.

Mantis88LX
02-26-2003, 05:56 PM
yay i got mine today, i got it all modded and ready for a intake tube and cone filter!

mindlos
02-26-2003, 10:52 PM
Alright!!

88accordlxcarb
02-27-2003, 02:30 PM
Will i still pass emissions(strict Califorina emissions, here in Georgia) if i do this? How hard would it be to transfer to the stock air box to this filter for an emissions test?

dXsquared
02-27-2003, 07:07 PM
i see that no one has said the exact years to find these

any civic between 1988-1991 will have this setup. just make shur it doesnt have an SI badge on it because these have MPFI like our cars. they are DX and LX and HF and STD models

Travis

mindlos
02-28-2003, 12:13 AM
Thanks DX. I never really new apart from 91. I looked at the bleed valves and they are a piece of cake. If you look underneath the stock intake there is a screw by the bleed valve port. That is all thats holding it. Unscrew it then the bleed valve comes off and has a gasket too. All you need on the civic housing is 2 adjacent small holes, 3/16 wide and 1/16 apart (you have the stock box for reference). You wanna trim the gasket for screw to reach since the civic box wall is thick. That pretty much covers it. If you are not in Carlifonia and you got vacuum lines you can still do this mod because you dont lose anything other than the hot air door. Bare in mind that I'm spewing all this out of analysis since I no longer have vacuum lines.

For Carlifornia people it will take a bit more. I do not think you would pass with filter to atmospheric air on the valve cover. Therefore you would need another connection to the civic box. Seems like you could T-connect the valve cover piper (without a filter) and the air suction pipe to that big port on the civic. That way blow-by gets burned either by the engine or the cat. I was overdramatic about the oil coming into the carburetor. The only reason that would happen is if you have bad piston rings that allow excessive blow-by that picks up a good amount of oil during heavy load. A bad PCV valve may cause this too. Obviously you would know when you look at your filter housing if you have that problem. The more likely effect is a little more carbon deposits that carb cleaner can solve easily.

So, there you go. It is certainly doable for all.

Experimental_Honda
02-28-2003, 09:01 AM
what kind of intake hose did you use mindlos, that looks bad ass. does it work pretty well?? also could you some how hook zex up to that rig i know its gonna have to be wet cuz you cant shoot dry on a carb.

mindlos
02-28-2003, 01:55 PM
That's a Spectre intake for Civics (92-00) and Integras (94-00) from autozone. 3". Works very well. Nice throttle response and pickup. Drove around a while then stopped and immediately checked the pipe and housing temp. Was frosty cold while the engine compartment was blazing hot so it is definitely a cold air intake. The car no longer runs out of steam once it has been driving a while when I had the flipped lid. Also has a more tuned deep smoother sound than the barfing on the flipped lid.

I also removed the hood bracing right above the housing and it no longer touches. Drove up to 90mph and the hood still didnt cave in so thats good. No pulsating in wind either. I'm still going to get some flat spring loaded metal to brace the area anyways.

mindlos
02-28-2003, 01:59 PM
Oh, I know absolutely zilch about zex, nos, nitro, nitrous, tnt, c4, napalm, dirty bombs, and the like :D .

dXsquared
02-28-2003, 02:03 PM
i wonder! i doubt it... but maybe, just maybe... prolly not... maybe someone will know... i know that you can get a KIT from NOS that has a plate that goes under your carb aircleener that sprays down the carb, so maybe this will be almost the same... use a NOS kit... cant use ZEX cuz it needs the TPS and shit... but a NOS dry kit might work

Travis

Mantis88LX
02-28-2003, 02:30 PM
hey mindlos i didnt remove the brace but i did have to hammer it down some so it didnt touch the air box. can u take a pic of how yours looks with the brass gone? also what did u use to cut it off?

thanx, ohh and im using the spctre filter from autozone too, but i couldnt afford a 3'' intake so im using a pieace of exaust pipeing from autozone, its only 2 1/2 tho, i havent drivin it yet, i gotta go tommorow and get two more hose clamps then i will try it out.

mindlos
02-28-2003, 07:55 PM
I used a black&decker wizard with dremel disks. Not as fast as a dremel but still alright. I was lazy to measure so I cut as much as I could deal with. I hope the picture is clear.

http://www.mindlos.com/~mandla/nobrace1.jpg

Experimental_Honda
02-28-2003, 09:45 PM
zex makes wet system but yeah i dont think it would work. i really want to try and spray on my 88lx. what does this adapter thing by nos look like and would it work with my accord? i know they make it for like v8's and what not. see i was thinking you could port the intake or the air box and spray it in there, dont think that would work though.

original2k
03-01-2003, 07:23 PM
man i can't help but stare at that damn thing all day long! all hail mindlos!!!!!! i dethrone myself from the 2k emp][re in the name of our new leader........
:bow::bow:
:bow::pimp:mindlos:pimp:
:bow::bow:

1 word for that creation......sweet.

carb intake > u foo's (score another for the carb boyz)

dXsquared
03-01-2003, 08:09 PM
thats two...

weber and the intake

the adapter is for a 4 barrel carb... i know it will work... but i dunno if the effects will be as great as the EFI cars...

Travis

Mantis88LX
03-01-2003, 08:10 PM
yeah i got mine set up just like mindlos now, i had to point it down like his, it gets really cold air back there too!
and damn this thing helps! at high rpms it just keep pulling! i cant test out my low end yet becasue my damn downpipe is hitting something when i launch hard

mindlos
03-02-2003, 10:57 AM
:smokin: Thank you! Say, who does valve cover painting? If I were to do it myself (skeptical on the results) what paint would I get?

dXsquared
03-02-2003, 11:04 AM
get the best shit you can find... it doent have to get heat paint... ut it would work... i think im gonna do mine is ceramic paint... just to change it up a bit

Travis

original2k
03-02-2003, 02:36 PM
yeah i was gonna paint mine with heat enamel paint, since i'm on the flipped lide (for now) i assume it'll help with all that engine heat that gets in there.

Experimental_Honda
03-03-2003, 10:02 AM
just get it powder coated. it will cost ya a fair amount of jack but you cant beat the look. my friend painted the one on his crx and the paint is chiping and cracking.

meanaccord
03-03-2003, 07:42 PM
I took that intake, top. the one off the civic. And i took a piece of pvc piping and cutout the black part and glued and sealed the pvc to the inake. put it on the carb and it worked great. I will post pictures soon.

TitaniumSun
03-19-2003, 04:30 AM
Hey A20A I'll buy one of those from you for like 20 - 40 bucks its worth it to those of us who dont have alot of time to mod our cars out like that.... BUT!! I had a question?? cant you take your top lid off your carb and make a fiberglass relica of it and forge a 3 inch toobonto it and hook one up that way? or am i just dumb LOL

THNX

3G Jester
03-19-2003, 06:32 AM
mike! looks awsome man!!!!!!

mindlos...go look through the past posts on the topic...theres one i started about all this....and it has some diagrams a few of us put up about how to reduce the size of your airbox.....its ghetto fabulous.,.but it reduces the size without cutting of the air box...just slide some metal in there to limit the flow path. go search..

mindlos
03-19-2003, 10:00 AM
will do. cept I dont even remember the thread title. should be easier to find if you started it. Did you post any pictures?

mindlos
03-19-2003, 10:30 AM
are you talking about this thread http://www.3geez.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=13322 ?

What did you end up doing? If you got a little cash consider the 89-91 civic PGMFI box from the junkyard and you dont mind the hood touching or cutting the support brace above it.

Darkside
03-19-2003, 02:07 PM
I like your cold air intake and plan on making my own. My question is have you ever thought of putting vents in your hood (like on an old 2nd gen civic)? I think the location of the intake would be perfect for that. If you wanted to take it even further you could make a box around the filter with an open top and have it seal to the hood. So the only place you could draw air would be through the vents on the hood. Just wondering. Darkside

A20A1
03-19-2003, 06:35 PM
Guess you don't know... but I've had a ram air scoop for over 3 years. I'm sure there are pics of it floating around the board.

Anyways the pics with the keihin intake were from my 86 DX... that car has since kicked the bucket so I parted out my prototype intake. and since Mindlos made the civic one I wouldn't see the need to make anymore adapter unless you are looking for a specific angle that the civic intake couldn't provide.

mindlos
03-24-2003, 08:20 PM
Hey mods, could you sticky this thread and retitle it to something more infromative like "The Annals constructing a carb intake from a civic box." And it doesnt have to be this formal. People are curious about this but the thread title is not eye catching, plus it disappeared from the front a while ago. Please Mike/Sean. I guess Mantis has some say as to what the title becomes as long as it is more more informative about whats inside.

Thanks
-Mindlos

wprocomp
03-25-2003, 10:39 AM
hey mindlos if you havent painted your valve cover yet I reccomend painting it with brake caliper paint,I used the VHT brand and it turned out great and has never flaked off.....its been painted for 2years now! make sure and wet sand your valve(I used 500 grit) cover well too to get rid of any oil and dirt too,hope this helps:D If your still worried about doing it I will do one for you let me know.

mindlos
03-25-2003, 01:10 PM
Thanks for the tip man. I changed my mind on the blue after stripping and sanding the intake lid, which I still have to make look good. I'm digging the polished aluminum/silver look. If they have paint that looks like that then I'll see. I'd ask you you to do it but I dont have an extra valve cover. How much do you usually charge, or should I not have asked?:D

wprocomp
03-28-2003, 10:17 AM
I can get a cover for around $10,paint around $5....new gasket(you will need it) $3.how does $20 sound?just pm me and let me know

SirRapier
05-14-2003, 11:46 AM
I cant beleive you guys found a way to put on an intake for a carb. Thats the shizzznit!! I might have to try it 4realz!!! Where did the chrome cover come from?

sneaky88
05-15-2003, 06:21 PM
I have a small question. Do these carb intakes give you the throaty intake sound?

3rdGenFanatic
05-30-2003, 01:35 PM
Hey, I found one at the junkyard today! I'm going to start molding work now! :)

sneaky88
06-04-2003, 02:14 PM
if one of you guys are up for making me one and selling it to me E-mail me at [email protected]

mindlos
06-04-2003, 02:30 PM
Its so easy you could make it yourself. All you gotta do is buy the box from the junkyard, enlarge the hole with whatever cutting tools you have, fit the gasket from the stock box on the civic box then mount it using the brass mesh. All else you gotta get is the pipe and filter.

sneaky88
06-04-2003, 06:44 PM
i think ill try it on my own im going to the junkyard tomorrow

hondacowboy003
06-20-2003, 08:46 PM
Well yall just lit a fire under my arse with this thread. I was wondering how the hell I was gonna get some cold air into my A20 motor. Since my car is down for repairs (snapped timing belt) Im gonna take and run with this mod. As far as painting the valve cover, would electro static painting (like they do on fridges, stoves,etc) work? Or would the underhood heat be to much?

3rdGenFanatic
06-22-2003, 09:14 AM
I don't think the heat would be too much. If it was a cam cover maybe.. but it's an intake so I don't think so.

moose
06-24-2003, 05:01 PM
i got the civic box from the junkyard today. (only $5! i wonder if he charged me wrong or somethin..) would this pipe/filter work http://www.nopionline.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=dsppartdetail&vmakeid=140&vmodelid=020&vcatyear=1988&vnopinum=948%2B4675&vTitle=1988%20HONDA%20Civic%20Intake%20Components% 20Air%20Intake%20System&vaffid=0 do i hafta do any modifying or will it just fit onto the civic box?

mindlos
06-24-2003, 06:42 PM
linky no worky. may be a cookie thing or other crap

moose
06-25-2003, 02:52 AM
well i just went to nopionline and looked at 88 civic intakes. which of those would be best, or is there a specific kind you suggest that works the best and is decently priced?

factorVIII
06-28-2003, 12:06 AM
Originally posted by shepherd79
hey mike,
you don't you make a few of them and sell them here.
i would buy one for sure.

Word! i agree. That's gonna be dope!

Neuspeed007
07-11-2003, 10:08 PM
AWESOME WORK, i just went out and found a civic hatch 91 at the junk yard today and got everything i needed, for a friend and his 3rd gen, much props go to the inventor.

:D

keep up the good work

fuzzy audio
08-15-2003, 02:44 PM
Has anyone else done this mod successfully? I'm wondering if anyone worked around there vacuum lines successfully. I don't really want to strip all the lines out if I don't have to.

A20A1
08-15-2003, 10:44 PM
You don't have to remove the vacuum lines... you just need to reroute a few lines when you hook up the civic adapter and make the short ram into a longer intake or possibly a cold air intake.

check out: http://www.3geez.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=12208

fuzzy audio
08-16-2003, 05:53 PM
Cool. Thanks A20A10.

fuzzy audio
08-16-2003, 05:53 PM
Cool. Thanks A20A10.

Techno
09-15-2003, 07:58 AM
If you do Mantis, air box conversion this is something that you can do with it.
My Page with pics of Mods (http://www.cardomain.com/id/sstaft)

Techno

wprocomp
09-15-2003, 02:35 PM
well I got mine done but it hits the hood.....I am going to try another peice off another car and see if it works....if I sell my adapter(its ready to go you just need to cut the hood bracing)would anyone be interested....

89AccordHatch
10-18-2003, 09:21 AM
edit

sccrsteve5
02-02-2004, 08:16 PM
YOU DON'T NEED TO CUT YOUR HOOD BRACE AT ALL! Just do what I did. I used a piece of 8"x18" thin sheet of aluminum and cut it in half with a hacksaw. drilled holes in it for the screws. screwed it in and carefully hammered the edges down to make it an airtight seal on the box...doesn't hit the support at all.

Justin86
02-02-2004, 08:28 PM
damn this is an old thread.

soljaboy2000
02-02-2004, 08:47 PM
I just bought this 90 civic airbox on ebay.....will it fit????

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2456645771 (http://)
http://i10.ebayimg.com/01/i/01/3c/76/73_1.JPG

k-roy
02-02-2004, 09:23 PM
I just bought this 90 civic airbox on ebay.....will it fit????

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2456645771 (http://)
http://i10.ebayimg.com/01/i/01/3c/76/73_1.JPG
Umm I think you are missing the piece you need. The part of the right side of the tube looks like the box that is near the battery. You need the part that goes on the left side of that hose in the pic.

You need the piece on the right of this pic
http://24.118.216.83/~mandla/carsig2.jpg

sccrsteve5
02-02-2004, 09:25 PM
you've got the two things u can definitely do without...ur missing the key piece...the actual airbox there are pics in mindlos' sig of what it looks like-the chrome piece

soljaboy2000
02-02-2004, 09:37 PM
fuck!!!!!!!!!!!!! I got screwed!!!!!!!!! SOB!!!!!!!!!!!!! Oh well.......you win some you lose...and i will see janet's boob again :D:D:D

A20A1
02-09-2004, 12:04 AM
OMG... that sucks.

alboy
05-20-2004, 06:31 AM
nice work on the intake i plan on going over this weekend and getting the air box and maybe find a cai at the junkyard too

hondaaccord_86
08-07-2004, 12:54 AM
nt sure if anyone covered this part... but there seems to be a hose(white-sih color) from the header to bottom of the stock intake box. here there is a door that opens and closes before the air reaches the filter... do i need to do anything with it in terms of connecting with the civic box?
theres also a pcv hose, not the one that goes to the valve cover, the 'other one'... it leads into a small black box... connect, somehow cap, or leave open?
plus the civic box hits a screw on the top right of the carb... so the box is slightly higher then if it wasnt... errr problem?
and also the screen barely fits inside the civic box due to the bump inside... and its hard to get the box to be fully seated ontop of the carb... errr problem?
so i guess you guys could say, just put the stock intake box back and turn around... but if anyone can help me out... or even know where im coming from... itd be really great if someone could help me out!

thanks!

A20A1
08-07-2004, 03:19 PM
you don't need that hose from the header heat sheild

Gemini2003
08-28-2004, 04:16 PM
Looking great uys i love this thred! I will be Running down to the junk yard tomorrow!

A20A1
09-23-2004, 11:00 PM
Please visit this link if you are interested in carb intakes.
http://www.3geez.com/showthread.php?t=38108

pinoi_dude
09-24-2004, 07:17 PM
ok...i'm at newb at all this stuff...so after i install the civic air box i can jus get a intake and hook it up and it should work???

keruhas184
10-05-2004, 11:00 PM
4) Cover removed. The housing (for what?) is made from thick hard plastic. Not that flexible at all. They are also blocking the airflow with that obtuse angled metal.

http://www.mindlos.com/~mandla/nocover.jpg

Hmm... Something that popped into my mind just now. I removed the angled metal peice for more air flow, and I'm thinking of filing down the plastic groove thing that it was attached to. Did this metal thing serve a purpose? Will putting it back improve airflow... or should I just remove the rest of the obstructions inside the airbox?

A20A1
10-05-2004, 11:07 PM
pinoi_dude, Please read the FAQ I have linked above.

Orion
10-11-2004, 01:33 AM
ne one have an idea how to do this on a second gen?

chattzLX
10-17-2004, 12:09 AM
is it not suitable to wack a cold air intake onto a standard 87 LX?

keruhas184
10-17-2004, 09:25 AM
is it not suitable to wack a cold air intake onto a standard 87 LX?

Yes, this is what the whole thread is about. Look at post #153. Oh and :welcome: