PDA

View Full Version : Does the EFI distriubtor fit a Carb??

Dutchboy
02-17-2003, 12:00 PM
Well ...

I did a compression test last week as well as a vacuum test.

compression number were 175-175-165-175
and my vacuum test was at 19hg and dropped only 1hg to 18hg when the missfire happens.....

SO i think changing the distributor may help.

Does the tec distributor off the EFI's fit the carbed model.????????
Well are they the same?????

i cant remember wether or not they did....i need to know so that my buddy doesnt send me the wrong one from the wreckers he works at 5 hours away!!

THE help will be appreciated..
I SURE hope this is the prob.....i wish i had bought a EFI!!!!!!!

BEn

AccordEpicenter
02-17-2003, 02:42 PM
itll physically fit but all the sensors and stuff are differnent, i think you should stick with a hitachi or toyo denso distributor instead of the tec

AZmike
02-17-2003, 03:16 PM
How is the ignition system related to your compression? Isn't low compression the result of a poor physical seal between the mechanical parts rather than electrical problems?

Dutchboy
02-17-2003, 03:53 PM
I know that its not related but ,

I was just refering to that ive had a missfire since i owned the car and to narrow the problem down i did a compression and vacuum test..

If there was low compression then the missfire could be due to a bad cylinder or wrong valve timing.....But i didnt have bad compression and the vacuum test didnt show any leaking gaskets or bad seals so the little drop in the vacuum may sugest a bad timing issue..

So thats why i want to change it.....i know that it isnt related to electrical but the tests show it wasnt mechanical but its got to be fuel or electrical.

AccordEpicenter
Thanks for the info......i couldnt remember what the EFI distributor looked like. Looks like i have to make sure he gets me the right one.

Thanks.

anchovies
02-18-2003, 02:41 AM
It mounts differently. For pics, look at carots homepage.

shepherd79
02-18-2003, 05:53 AM
i would recomend toyo distributor for carb engines.

AccordEpicenter
02-18-2003, 10:57 AM
So would I. BTW hes talking about Vacuum, which is different than compression. Mysterious problems can come from these distributors, esp if the advance mechanism is fucked or leaking

1988starter
02-18-2003, 11:34 AM
Low comp in one cylinder can also be caused by a word camshaft lobe.

AZmike
02-18-2003, 02:31 PM
Originally posted by AccordEpicenter
So would I. BTW hes talking about Vacuum, which is different than compression. Mysterious problems can come from these distributors, esp if the advance mechanism is fucked or leaking

Actually he was talking about both. I'm not sure how different 'vacuum' and 'compression' are since they are both just measures of pressure taken at different locations. One is lower than atmospheric and the other higher. Pounds per square inch does convert to inches of mercury (or whatever other units you want to measure vacuum in).

AccordEpicenter
02-18-2003, 10:27 PM
low compression can be caused from bad head gaskets, burnt valves, warped heads, busted pistons, bad rings or bad cams etc who knows but if the advance goes screwy your vacuum can be affected. Your compression numbers arent somthing id worry about, theyre not bad.