PDA

View Full Version : This car is kicking my butt

iballew
11-21-2017, 02:31 AM
Hi guys. I have a few questions about some issues I am having with my 1987 Accord DX auto (124,000). Some of the things I mention might not be related to the current issue, however, I have chosen to list them anyway.

Things I have recently done to the car: So about a month ago, the car died when I pulled into work. I checked for spark on all four cylinders. Number 4 was getting good spark and the rest were getting intermittent weak spark. I guessed it was the distributor and replaced it with a new spectra unit from rock auto. The car fired right up. As I was trying to time the car, I realized I could not line up the marks. I checked the timing marks on the crank and camshaft. Sure enough, they were off, telling me the timing belt was installed a tooth off (that would explain a lack of top end power). I replaced the timing belt, crankshaft seal, and oil pump seal at a friends, making sure it was lined up properly. The car ran much better and had way more power.

Description of current issue: A day later, I need to make a 2 hour drive. During the drive, I noticed the car seemed to be loosing power until I couldn't even go the speed limit. I pull over and check all fluids. Everything looked good. I do notice the headers are glowing red (this greatly concerns me). I let the car cool off and limp it home barely managing to go 20 under (This entire time I was closely monitoring all instruments. The car was running at a normal temp). Now, the car is VERY sluggish. It feels as if its running very rich. It coughs and has very little power at low rpm. I can barely get it to go 30. I checked the timing again. It all looks good (15 btdc with the advance plugged in, tdc with both lines disconnected and plugged). The car still starts right up and idles like a champ. It doesn't misfire at all. I am at my wits end with this car. What do you guys think?

firefighterwhite89
11-21-2017, 03:53 AM
Check O2 sensor. Had a similar issue. Ran it with my Innovate Motorsports Wideband output wire that simulates our narrowband voltage output and runs even better than before. Would also check your timing advance mechanism...both are in the factory service manual. Check Engine temp sensor as well, NOT the collant sensor beside it.

Oldblueaccord
11-21-2017, 06:35 AM
Headers glowing red is a LEAN condition.

Since you are carbed ? I would think I would look at the carb unless the timing is very erratic. Also might have a clogged catalytic converter.

Dr_Snooz
11-21-2017, 09:42 PM
Definitely a clogged cat.

https://www.3geez.com/forum/3geez-accords/81802-how-diagnose-bad-catalytic-converter.html

Hauntd ca3
11-24-2017, 03:06 PM
Check the ignition timing , to far retarded will get headers glowing real nice

Blainethemono
12-01-2017, 11:34 AM
and as another thing to check, pull the spark plugs and check their color. Should be a nice light tan color with a whiteish electrode.

DanJDT
12-16-2017, 12:15 AM
Sounds like a clogged cat to me.

iballew
01-02-2018, 07:13 PM
Alright so heres a little update on the situation. I had the cat taken off and inspected by my mechanic (I only have hand tools so I didn't feel like wrestling it off myself) and he said everything looked fine. The cat was not clogged and in good condition. Eventually, I ended up finding a genuine junkyard pulled Honda distributor on ebay and purchased it for 40 bucks including shipping. Today, I popped her in, set the timing, and the car runs flawlessly now. Shes got pep and purrs like a kitten. Thats one more 3rd gen on the road.

I am almost certain you guys already knew this but ill say it anyway. Stay the hell away from Chinese distributors. This particular unit was a reman from spectra. Ill be contacting rock auto to try and get a refund.